Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

How much do you have invested in international assets?

Reactions
I've been thinking for awhile now that with the AUD so high it's prob the best time to be buying foreign currency denominated assets.

I've got a 10K parcel of the IOO global 100 ETF, and it's doing not too badly with the way markets have been going up recently. Income yield is low, but I like the exposure to a large number of companies that are global leaders, as well as a currency hedge should things go to poo again.

I'm trying to decide if i should buy another ETF, maybe merging markets of consumer staples. Currently my international allocation is around the only 7% of my super fund.

What kind of allocation do others have??

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions
I've been thinking for awhile now that with the AUD so high it's prob the best time to be buying foreign currency denominated assets.

I've got a 10K parcel of the IOO global 100 ETF, and it's doing not too badly with the way markets have been going up recently. Income yield is low, but I like the exposure to a large number of companies that are global leaders, as well as a currency hedge should things go to poo again.

I'm trying to decide if i should buy another ETF, maybe merging markets of consumer staples. Currently my international allocation is around the only 7% of my super fund.

What kind of allocation do others have??
I'm buying an apartment in the Philippines... that's an international asset in more ways than one. :)

Also seriously considering opening a USD based IB account to trade Nasdaq shares...the dollar is high and we should be taking advantage of that, even though the fundamentals suggest that it will be a strong currency well into the foreseeable future.

My super fund is like 3% international shares, and i have 2 stocks in my super fund with large international exposure, CPU & QBE and maybe a quarter of my private portfolio has international exposure...all part of a diversified strategy.

Bill M

Self Funded Retiree
Reactions
My wife's super is 16% international shares.

My super is about 23% international shares.
Another part of my super is 30% international bonds.

I have also invested in the ETF USD. I just have a gut feel than the AUD may capitulate soon so took a small punt on it to cover my ar$e.

In total about 10% of all my assets are international.

Reactions
While not holding anything listed overseas, I have been looking for a while now for ASX listed companies with international revenues. Around 40% of my investments (super and personal) are in these companies; Cochlear, Navitas, Hunter Hall and Iproperty Group.

Reactions
I also invested (as opposed to trading) in a few ETF:
RBSAPL
RBSBRK
RBSAPL
for direct share link to Apple, brk b and microsoft
IBK, IEM,IZZ for asia/bric related indexes and access to non usd specific exposure
I share your feeling about the AUD trading well above its weight ..yet I thought that a year ago and it went nowhere;
I also opened a USD account with citibank for direct USD exposure/protection..but you get no return on this one so , so far not a great idea in my case.will keep anyway
You could also think about gold/PM as in aud term, it is actually relatively cheap but that is open to the gold future thread
Hope it helps, no recommendation there

Reactions
I'm thinking the AUD is going to stay on the high side till US unemployment drops below 7% and the markets start to fret over the 6.5% line in the sand Bernakey has talked about.

Once the free money starts to get withdrawn and I see things getting really messy as by then a lot of companies and "investors" will be addicted to the crack/meth cocktail they've been on the last few years.

The annoying thing with the Aussie market is 2 mining companies, the megabank 4, couple of grocery suppliers, an oil / gas producer and maybe an insurance company account for 50% of the market's value.

Still, you can't complain in general terms about the dividends the churn out.