• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

How much do people pay for home insurance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirRumpole, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

10 years ago $800 pa, this year $1700.

In a rural but not in a flood prone, fire prone or high crime area, this increase seems exhorbitant.

How are others faring ?

2. chiff

chiff

No doubt you get quotes every year...the best I found last year was with ING...and will try them when vehicle insurance comes due as well.Whether you need an account with ING I do not know...I have.

3. basilio

basilio

I suggest all household insurance will become more expensive as companies deal with the damage being caused by extreme weather events, fires and floods. Even if our house isn't directly vulnerable we are part of the insurance pool.:2twocents

4. basilio

basilio

The bill for last years huge fires is coming home. The California fires cost $24 Billion.

As climate change increases the severity of fires, floods and weather events around the world there will be a major impact on peoples capacity to insure against these events. This report from Munich Re lays it out.

Climate change could make insurance too expensive for most people – report
    This article is more than 4 months old
    Munich Re, world’s largest reinsurance firm, warns premium rises could become social issue

Arthur Neslen

Thu 21 Mar 2019 09.12 EDT Last modified on Thu 21 Mar 2019 20.45 EDT

Shares

[​IMG]

An aerial view of a neighbourhood destroyed by the 2018 wildfire in Paradise, California. Photograph: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
    Insurers have warned that climate change could make cover for ordinary people unaffordable after the world’s largest reinsurance firm blamed global warming for $24bn (£18bn) of losses in the Californian wildfires.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ance-too-expensive-for-ordinary-people-report