Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

How much do people pay for home insurance?

Reaction score
10 years ago $800 pa, this year $1700.

In a rural but not in a flood prone, fire prone or high crime area, this increase seems exhorbitant.

How are others faring ?

Reaction score
No doubt you get quotes every year...the best I found last year was with ING...and will try them when vehicle insurance comes due as well.Whether you need an account with ING I do not know...I have.

Reaction score
I suggest all household insurance will become more expensive as companies deal with the damage being caused by extreme weather events, fires and floods. Even if our house isn't directly vulnerable we are part of the insurance pool.:2twocents

Reaction score
The bill for last years huge fires is coming home. The California fires cost $24 Billion.

As climate change increases the severity of fires, floods and weather events around the world there will be a major impact on peoples capacity to insure against these events. This report from Munich Re lays it out.

Climate change could make insurance too expensive for most people – report
This article is more than 4 months old
Munich Re, world’s largest reinsurance firm, warns premium rises could become social issue

Arthur Neslen

Thu 21 Mar 2019 09.12 EDT Last modified on Thu 21 Mar 2019 20.45 EDT

Shares

3000.jpg

An aerial view of a neighbourhood destroyed by the 2018 wildfire in Paradise, California. Photograph: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Insurers have warned that climate change could make cover for ordinary people unaffordable after the world’s largest reinsurance firm blamed global warming for $24bn (£18bn) of losses in the Californian wildfires.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ance-too-expensive-for-ordinary-people-report