• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Govt Bonds

1. Zaxon

Zaxon The voice of reason

It all comes back to comparing bonds with their alternatives. Here is a sample of government bonds I grabbed. Have a look at the yield column.
    upload_2019-5-6_15-57-22.png

I can get 2.9% by sticking it a savings account at my bank. And if you want it "locked away", you can use term deposits. That's your benchmark. The sorts of returns I'm seeing on government bonds isn't comparing with that, in most cases.

The other downside of bonds in general, is that their capital isn't secure. Their value fluctuates. Unlike a bank deposit, they're a risk product. If my money is at risk, I want a much higher return.
    Yes to shares. You can park your money in a cheap, broad-based index fund and get around 11%. But be prepared to leave it there for 7+ years, say, as the market can fluctuate quite a lot.

Forest likes this.
  2. Zaxon

Zaxon The voice of reason

VAS is an ETF that covers the ASX S&P 300 with really low fees. IVV is an Australian ETF, but follows the US S&P 500. Both good examples.

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest

Thanks for that. What exactly is a cheap, broad-based index fund?

4. Forest

Forest

Thanks! I'll do some research into all that information :)