Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Google Drive

Reactions
As per the link below: "Google Drive lets you do more than just store your files. Share files with exactly who you want and edit them together, from any device.

Google Drive gives you instant access to Google Docs, a suite of editing tools that makes working together better””even when your teammates are miles away."

https://drive.google.com/start#home

They are providing the service for free for the first 5 gigs of data, with up to 25 gigs costing around $2.50 p/month.

Seems like a great idea (especially for google as this opens up an entirely new revenue stream)...my only concern would be data security.

What does the ASF public think about google drive? Are you using it now or will you in the future?

Also if anyone has any knowledge of where exactly the data is stored I'd be delighted to find out! Im assuming it is stored in massive data centres?

Reactions
As per the link below: "Google Drive lets you do more than just store your files. Share files with exactly who you want and edit them together, from any device.

Google Drive gives you instant access to Google Docs, a suite of editing tools that makes working together better””even when your teammates are miles away."

https://drive.google.com/start#home

They are providing the service for free for the first 5 gigs of data, with up to 25 gigs costing around $2.50 p/month.

Seems like a great idea (especially for google as this opens up an entirely new revenue stream)...my only concern would be data security.

What does the ASF public think about google drive? Are you using it now or will you in the future?

Also if anyone has any knowledge of where exactly the data is stored I'd be delighted to find out! Im assuming it is stored in massive data centres?
It is likely stored in massive data centres, but you will not necessarily know their location and your data may be moved around at Google's discretion if it needs to balance loads or optimise access.

Although there is always the issue of hackers accessing your data, of more concern with Google Drive is their terms and conditions that allow Google itself to access your data for its own purposes, which I believe includes targeted advertising. This was an initial concern that was highlighted in the press. I don't know if Google has backed down on this issue since.

I personally won't use it mainly because I have all Apple devices and prefer to remain in the Apple eco system, which also provides cloud storage.

skc

Goldmember
Reactions

While it's free to store it cost you money/time to access it (e.g. data usage on smart phones).

I doubt any self-respecting company would allow their staff to store work stuff on Google's data centres. For personal use it's really only useful if you are moving around a lot. Too bad I am stuck at my desk all the time :banghead:

Reactions
I used Google Documents with several students recently, and it's great.

It edits Google Docs on the fly, to anyone who has the same document open. Nice.
I wouldn't pay though.

Reactions
If you are putting your files online and you don't want them to be stolen, you best AES256 encrypt them.

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions
I like it, and have been waiting for something like this to come along...25 GB $2.49 / Month + Bonus: Your Gmail storage will be upgraded to 25 GB.

Tax deductible, on-line cloud storage from one of the world leaders in internet technology...its a bargain, perpetually store all your photos and important documents, back up all your important emails....100% safe as with a realistic password.

I'm in.

:D

Reactions
google drive is just a new version/name for google docs, which has been around for years. Great for university group work and similar things where numerous people need to access the one document at different times.

Dropbox is also another alternative where you can choose to share certain files and folders with other people. Dropbox is also convenient because you can save files into the dropbox folder on your computer and they are automatically synced to the web and any other computer you choose to sync it with. Can't edit documents online like google docs/drive but easy to download and work from the native program.