Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Good Stock Market Movies & TV Shows

Joined
5 January 2006
Posts
4,461
Reactions
0
Hey has any1 seen good movies about investing/trading in the stockmarket..

Iv seen Wall Street (the classic) and Boiler room... thats all...

ANy suggestions?
 
Joined
12 April 2005
Posts
842
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Not a movie but there was a serious on Ch. 9 a few years back called Bull.
Had the lady (Elizabeth Rohm) from Law and Order in it

Wasn't too bad and kept me company those late nights
 
Joined
1 November 2005
Posts
86
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Rogue Trader with Ewan McGregor. It is the true story of how Nick Leeson bankrupted Englands Barings Bank. Quote "I, Nicholas Leeson, have just lost 50 million quid, in one day!" I saw this several years ago and enjoyed it.

Trading Places with Dan Akroid, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis. Side note for the guys - first movie were she gets here top off. Also the two old guys in the movie make an appearance as bums in Coming to America.

The Bank with Anthony Lapalia and David Whenahm. Half decent Aussie movie were he uses fractal theory to 100% predict market moves.

All I can think of at the moment.

Scott
 
Joined
9 July 2004
Posts
21,226
Reactions
6,021
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Strw23 said:
Trading Places with Dan Akroid, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis. Side note for the guys - first movie were she gets here top off. Also the two old guys in the movie make an appearance as bums in Coming to America.
Scott

I enjoyed that movie... good fun.
 
Joined
11 April 2006
Posts
19
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

bvbfan said:
Not a movie but there was a serious on Ch. 9 a few years back called Bull.
Had the lady (Elizabeth Rohm) from Law and Order in it

Wasn't too bad and kept me company those late nights

Glad I wasn't the only one up late watching that show.
 
Joined
18 February 2006
Posts
4,200
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Enjoyed all of the above mentioned,

Trading Places
Wall Street
Boiler Room
The Bank
Rogue Trader
Really enjoyed Bull on Foxtel (was another one as well can't remember its name)

Another good olide is Barbarians @ the gate, its a moive about a huge LBO (Leveraged Buy Out), well actually MBO (Management Buy Out of a listed company via debt that uses the listed companies assets as security)
Rather enjoyed it.
 
Joined
1 November 2005
Posts
86
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

I know its not trading, but business related but did anybody ever watch Dragons Den? I really think those guys raped and pillaged every half decent idea that came in front of them. I felt sorry for the poor inventors who had spent so much time and money to have their products taken away from them for peanuts.

Scott
 
Joined
3 April 2006
Posts
668
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

there used to be a good show on ABC years ago from England called Capital City. They were bond traders.
 
Joined
11 April 2006
Posts
19
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

YOUNG_TRADER said:
Another good olide is Barbarians @ the gate, its a moive about a huge LBO (Leveraged Buy Out), well actually MBO (Management Buy Out of a listed company via debt that uses the listed companies assets as security)
Rather enjoyed it.

That was the movie about the takeover of some ciggarette company wasn't it ?
 

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
28 May 2004
Posts
10,282
Reactions
3,407
Re: Good stockmarket movies

It's not a stockmarket movie but Glegarry Glen Ross is an excellent movie about Real Estate salesmen.

It is Alec Baldwin's best performance in any movie in my opinion and definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
 
Joined
18 February 2006
Posts
4,200
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Basic Instinct...................................


No wait sorry my bad absolutley nothing to do with stocks :D
 

professor_frink

Moderator
Joined
16 February 2006
Posts
3,252
Reactions
2
Re: Good stockmarket movies

no, not stocks, but there were some other asset classes in it that are an absolute must see!
 
Joined
1 November 2005
Posts
86
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Joe Blow said:
It's not a stockmarket movie but Glegarry Glen Ross is an excellent movie about Real Estate salesmen.

It is Alec Baldwin's best performance in any movie in my opinion and definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Joe you have now destroyed all trust between my wife and I and our marrage could be over. ;) I went to the video shop on Saturday Night as there was nothing on TV, and of course all the good movies were out too. While trolling through the weekly section I came across Glengary Glenross. Remembering this thread I imediately grabbed it and took it home to show the wife. I thought the movie was boring and so did she but I kept reassuring her it will get better trust me, the guys on the forrum said it is a good movie. After making her watch the whole movie, we have now lost 1.5 hours I will never get back, been told I am no longer allowed to chose movies by myself, and dont even think about asking for sex. My life is over. I now have to resort to plan "B". I will wait a few days before I ask her if I can take use some more from our accounts for trading or have sex. Win Win either way. :)

Scott
 

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
28 May 2004
Posts
10,282
Reactions
3,407
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Strw23 said:
Joe you have now destroyed all trust between my wife and I and our marrage could be over. ;) I went to the video shop on Saturday Night as there was nothing on TV, and of course all the good movies were out too. While trolling through the weekly section I came across Glengary Glenross. Remembering this thread I imediately grabbed it and took it home to show the wife. I thought the movie was boring and so did she but I kept reassuring her it will get better trust me, the guys on the forrum said it is a good movie. After making her watch the whole movie, we have now lost 1.5 hours I will never get back, been told I am no longer allowed to chose movies by myself, and dont even think about asking for sex. My life is over. I now have to resort to plan "B". I will wait a few days before I ask her if I can take use some more from our accounts for trading or have sex. Win Win either way. :)

Scott

Sorry about that Scott! Didn't mean to get you into trouble! :D

I really enjoyed it and thought it was brilliantly written with some great performances. In retrospect I guess some may find it less than riveting (it's not your usual hollywood movie) but I'm a bit of a film buff having done a degree in it some time ago so I may be a little more tolerant of slower films than most. It was a little stagey I will admit, but considering it was based on a stage play that was understandable.

Let the missus choose the next movie and if its a stinker you will be even. :)
 
Joined
1 November 2005
Posts
86
Reactions
0
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Joe
No problems, I owed her anyway. Last week I was forced to watch King Kong. It was terrible. I would rather of had bamboo stuck under my finger nails for 3 hours. The movie was that bad and went for that long Im suprised it didnt have Kevin Costner in it.

I will just have to wait for the DaVinci Code to come out. I enjoyed the book but I think they made some very poor choices in the casting of the movie. I will just have to wait and see.

Scott
 

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
28 May 2004
Posts
10,282
Reactions
3,407
Re: Good stockmarket movies

Strw23 said:
The movie was that bad and went for that long Im suprised it didnt have Kevin Costner in it.

LOL! :D

Will be sure to avoid King Kong. Thanks for the tip!
 
Top