Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

GICS industry groups

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
Do the companies listed in each industry group alter often?

I haven't researched this subject in any depth, but my impression is, whenever a company changes its focus, it still takes ages for it to be reclassified.
I noticed this especially in the case of small companies that chase a dream from biotech to gold explorer to oil explorer to Rare Earthers back to some high-tech gizmo.

It may be different for, say, the Top 500; you would expect them to be somewhat more "established" and continue to pursue one and only one track.
Furthermore, if you like me trade predominantly on Technicals, it doesn't really matter where a stock gets its lollies; as long as the chart says 'Buy' or 'Hold' - that's what matters most.

Reactions
I haven't researched this subject in any depth, but my impression is, whenever a company changes its focus, it still takes ages for it to be reclassified.
I noticed this especially in the case of small companies that chase a dream from biotech to gold explorer to oil explorer to Rare Earthers back to some high-tech gizmo.

It may be different for, say, the Top 500; you would expect them to be somewhat more "established" and continue to pursue one and only one track.
Furthermore, if you like me trade predominantly on Technicals, it doesn't really matter where a stock gets its lollies; as long as the chart says 'Buy' or 'Hold' - that's what matters most.

Thanks pixel

I am still in the study phase and am mostly planning to do technical trading but some fundamental investing as well. The question was out of pure interest, thanks for the interesting reply.