• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Friendship

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wayneL, Jul 7, 2020.

1. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I found this Tw@tter post both triggering but yet totally unsurprising.

I've always had the attitude that a friend is more important than a dollar, but over my lifetime I have noticed a trend whereby a dollar has become more important and a friend.

I realise that social media "friends" and friends are two different things, usually. But I think this man's post kind of shows where we are heading as a society. Friends serve some sort of mercantile expediency in most cases, the end of which expediency, usually signals the end of the friendship.

No, they weren't perfect, but I yearn for the 80s when friendship did not rely on what economic benefit you could derive from each other.

Or am I being overly nostalgic?

satanoperca likes this.
  2. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I'm left wondering whether he is going to unfriend people with houses worth $1,490,000?

What about people with homes purportedly worth $1,510,000?

What if, having listed a home at just over his threshold, and best offer is received at $1,450,000?

Are such people immediately discommunicated from his social media sanctified congregation? Does he, deign to accept the commission from such a sale? Or does he take their dirty money, but never admitting it for fear of being a social pariah in his elite RE circles?

I will be interested to follow this man's progress over the next decade.

3. macca

macca

I think he is only after a bit of free publicity, friends on social media are not really friends.

They should be really called contacts as a more accurate description.

Mind you I know a few people who are would bes if they could bes, name dropping all over the place, fame and money are all that matters

Very shallow people indeed, so insecure I feel sorry for them in a way

Smurf1976 and wayneL like this.
  4. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Social climber I reckon.

wayneL likes this.
  5. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I think you are equating a real estate agent with a human being.

Not necessarily valid.

satanoperca, macca, qldfrog and 5 others like this.
  6. Macquack

Macquack

Total W-A-N-K-E-R.

macca, qldfrog, IFocus and 2 others like this.
  7. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Indeed.

You could be "friends" with any number of celebrities that you've never met for example.

99% chance you still won't be meeting them even if they're in town just down the road, something that's unsurprising since you aren't actually friends at all.

A better way to put it would be to say that you've joined the modern day version of a fan club since in practice that's what it amounts to. In that case I can understand someone joining a fan club for a band if they like their music but not for a real estate agent..... :2twocents

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    macca and qldfrog like this.
  8. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

It's tough now, we are all isolated, due to coronavirus.

I can't catch up with friends and feel like I need to make new friends also. The older you get the harder it is. At least in my age group. No time, too busy, too exhausted and a little scared.

I look at my mum and she is making lots of new friends though she has lost her old friends and Dad over the years. Moving to the country was a good move.

Smurf1976 likes this.
  9. Macquack

Macquack

This reminds me of when my niece, a single mother was doing up her house to sell. She put a post on facebook inviting any of her "friends" to a working bee and she was putting on a BBQ and alcohol. I had to laugh when she got dozens of "likes" but no one actually turned up.

moXJO and wayneL like this.
  10. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

So....
    Went to see a friend that was a best friend from about 9yo - 25yo. We fell out of contact as our paths kind of diverged. It was a close friendship to the point of brotherhood at one stage. Funny how you grow out of some relationships. We had a blow up over something stupid. Truth was that I had taken an opportunity and a few friends felt I was leaving them behind.

Anyway paid him a visit and it turns out he has cancer in his lymph nodes in his neck. His father died of throat cancer last year. Haven't even Googled if its terminal but am assuming so.

I had to watch another friend die from cancer over a ten year period. Its a horrible thing to watch it take everything from someone. If anyone could have kicked it from sheer willpower I always thought it would be him. But he lasted 10 years instead of the 6 months they gave him. Towards the end he confided he couldn't fight it any more. Something I never thought he would say. But he did go through hell.

I always feel like a failure in these situations. Nothing I do will be the thing they really need. The one thing they need and I can't give them. Can't heal them, just have to watch as they deteriorate.
    He is only 45. I tell you what 30 years goes by in the blink of an eye.

Not looking for sympathy, or anything really. Just want it noted somewhere.

IFocus, frugal.rock, spooly74 and 3 others like this.
  11. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Duly noted, and something most of us can, or will, relate to. :(

12. spooly74

spooly74

satanoperca likes this.
  13. satanoperca

satanoperca

Hi Mo,
    Your thought process is incorrect, but understandable.

You are correct, unless you are Jesus, you cannot heal your friend to health:

HOWEVER

You can provide support and friendship in a time of need, that is healing in itself, for you and your friend.

As for watching the deteriorate, better to be a participant than just an observer.

IFocus and frugal.rock like this.
  14. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

No I'm always active.
    Drive to hospital, help when bed ridden, doctors appointments, kids.

And I hate it. I hate that they feel like a charity case, or a burden. I hate watching the fear of what will happen to their families. I hate the point they realise they ain't getting better.
    I hate when they finally give up.
    I hate the frustration of it all.
    I'd never say or show any of this out loud. I know its selfish to feel this way.

I'm the guy people tend to call when the problem gets to big. But it starts to stain your soul after a while. Being in that room in the final moments is emotionally intense. That final breathe and the moment they pass, feels like they rip a chunk out of you as they leave.

In boxing you only get so many absolute battles in the ring before it ruins you and you are never the same.
    I often feel these situations are the emotional equivalent. And my count is way up there.

But you are right. Do the best you can.

IFocus, macca, spooly74 and 1 other person like this.
  15. satanoperca

satanoperca

Thank-you for being so honest, it is very commendable. I know it means little, but I applaud you for having such a strong sole, with honesty and integrity.

IFocus, macca, spooly74 and 1 other person like this.
  16. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Just had a mate knock himself off yesterday.
    Possibly the greatest family man that ever lived. He knew everyone, was a joker, was well liked.
    I'm at a loss to understand it.

I think I've been saying "I can't wait till this year is over" since 2016.

You only get one race around the track so don't waste it.
    Get help before making decisions you can't come back from.

macca, Knobby22, IFocus and 1 other person like this.