• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Food for thought...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrBurns, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MrBurns

MrBurns

From LinkedIn -

''A guy looked at the Corvette the other day and said I wonder how many people could have been fed for the cost of that car. I replied I am not sure, it fed a lot of families in Kentucky who built it, it fed the people who make the tires, it fed the people who made the components, it fed the people in the copper mine who mined the copper for the wires, it fed people who make the trucks that haul the copper ore. That's the difference between capitalism and welfare mentality. When you buy something,you put money in people's pockets and give them dignity for their skills''

2. luutzu

luutzu

That's nonsense.

Welfare are never given to able-bodied people who thought they'd rather not work and live like royalty on welfare. Welfare are mainly for the sick, the elderly, the young and sometimes the youths who are encouraged to study so that they may one day get a job, know the gov't - through taxpayers - helped them and it's their turn to repay that favour.

So those needing welfare do so out of absolute necessity, they do not go on welfare to be a burden. Sure, there are frauds and scam artist, those the exceptions and there are laws against that kind of fraud.

How is helping those in need ever a bad thing? And why shouldn't the poor and the needy not entitled to them? Were they always poor? Do they not pay their taxes when once they could work and paid them? If welfare are taken away from them, what if one day "we" become "them" through some series of unfortunate events? Tough titties?

Second, if the rich and the corporation that they own most of receives welfare and handouts from the gov't, why is it immoral or bad for the people who literally need a few bucks from the gov't to live?

What, corporations and rich people don't receive welfare?

Starts with national security; domestic policing. If the judge, the court, the police are not provided for by taxpayers, who will protect assets and address contractual disputes? If the gov't does not provide roads and infrastructures, does not educate and make laws and policies that "encourages" early employment and high indebtedness... who would work and earn all those profits, just to be replaced like cogs in a machine once they're old and broken?

And forget about tax incentives; tax breaks and generous giveaways like zero real interest rates, negative gearings; free trade policies etc. etc.

Third... if, instead of a Corvette, we deliver healthcare and education to a family... wouldn't that also create jobs? Maybe even cleaner, greener, safer, more meaningful jobs that help people instead of mining, drilling for oil, refining the oil and killing a few poor families living near refineries... all so some rich douche can have a fancy car he takes out for a spin a weekend here and there.

So much for greed and idiocy disguised as "capitalism".

3. explod

explod explod

A bloke I have got to know here at Bendigo is an engineer. His place 800 sq metres is self sufficient with a very innovative hydroponic system powered purely with solar panels, little loss of water, replenished as needed from rain tanks. We sat down with a number of others and worked out that the farm I grew up on in south western Victoria, 600 acres with a river running through could support 400 families and leave plenty of recreational space also. In the system he has ample supply of fish and fresh vegetables.

But of course no actual money would be generated so Governments would not be interested.

I'll bet I could get a lot of unemployed involved in this and they would no longer need government support.

But what would I know, noco says I am just a useless left wing greenie.

4. qldfrog

qldfrog

Like it!! but I also like Mr Burn initial entry very much too

5. Tink

Tink

6. qldfrog

qldfrog

In the absence of war, self subsistence farming is quite a good system as long as there is enough free market and communication/transport means to allow unexpected disasters to me smoothen
    I have a 42 acre property, half is left to nature, a few heads of cattle on most of the second half but for a small orchard/garden and house/outbuilding pads.We easily produce enough wood ,water and food for our family while still working full time city jobs.A well manage property can generate a lot of food on a very small surface if you work it a bit.
    If you are in Sudan with ten kids families and warring faction, it is a different story, but the earth is a great garden of Eden as is, as long as you handle it properly.

7. basilio

basilio

Excellent analysis Luutzu. Yeah production is good but what is produced and how it is produced are critical parts of the story.

8. MrBurns

MrBurns

Thanks, the original post wasn't designed to bring the wrath of others down on me, just a simple observation.

Tink, we have big Govt but worse we have big business where the big just get bigger and everyone else is left behind, and worse, people are now fast becoming mere commodities to be fleeced by big business at will.

Look into the eyes of the workers in Safeway or Coles. they get paid minimum wage and they are just surviving, they look hopeless and abandoned.

Companies should be forced to limit their share of any market but there goes the stock market if that were to happen.

9. explod

explod explod

Read somewhere the other day, that only 7.5% of welfare goes to the unemployed and less that .5 of that percentage don't want to work. 19 people to one job is the average. We just do not seem to have the work.

Most goes to the elderly who paid their taxes anyway.

A good thread

10. MrBurns

MrBurns

Business survives and thrives on using less workers, that's their daily task, save money, what we have today is the result.

11. luutzu

luutzu

I don't think others would attack you personally Mr Burns, we're just discussing that quote.

12. MrBurns

MrBurns

...:)

13. luutzu

luutzu

It's one of those framing again isn't it. There's always the argument that if we're against fossil fuel, or concern about CC and smogs etc., that we're against jobs and want to hurt industry and the working people.

The intellectuals out there rarely go a step further and points out that maybe with new industry, new sources of energy... people will be better trained, still employed and maybe better paid for the higher skills... and all without destroying the environment.

I think some recent report found that about 600,000 children under five - mainly in the poor third world - dies from smog and dust from the burning of fossil fuel around them.

Such costs are other people's problems I guess.

14. luutzu

luutzu

I heard some journalist/activist recently saying that Big Agri really not do produce the majority of the world's food supplies as they made it out to be. That most of the world's food comes from small, family-own and run farmers.

I still find that hard to believe, but yea, might be true.

In terms of food security, health to consumers... would be better to have it in the hands of local farmers and not control by nation-less multinationals.

Take Haiti or Mexico, or any country that accepts free trade agreements and have their country flooded in with "cheap" grain and crops. What it has done is it first drive broke the small family run farmers, then a few years later "the market" dictate much higher prices and the country become totally dependent and malnourished because they just can't afford the price for that corporate efficiency and blah blah.

Then to the matter of health. Livestocks being kept in close quarters need a bunch of hormones and anti-biotics, that weaken human consumers' natural defense against diseases and we're just a pandemic waiting to happen.

15. luutzu

luutzu

You're literally a card carrying Greenie Explod, you're lucky noco hasn't reported you to Tony Abbott :D

But yea, if you guys become too self-reliant and produce no income, the gov't wouldn't let that kind of rebellion go on for too long.

16. noirua

noirua

17. noirua

noirua

The Donald fires verbally from the hip. Yes, anyone who annoys him gets blasted. Come on now guys, he's firing words not bullets - errrr, not yet anyway.

18. noirua

noirua

Food for thought...: Eat brain friendly carbs.

19. basilio

basilio

Some very real dangers in current Easter Egg fads. Be warmed..

Confirmed: Gays Are Lacing Easter Eggs with Homosexual-Inducing Food Colorings
    Tweet
    Posted on April 10, 2017 Posted By: Marion UncmeierCategories: Investigative Report istock_000036365422_small_0.jpg
    Easter weekend, fast becoming known as the ‘heterosexual recruitment festival’ in the gay community, has become one of the most dangerous holidays of the year for Christian men.

The CDC reports that for the past three Easters, an increased number of men have contracted homosexuality after eating ‘pastel colored Easter eggs’ secretly laced with variants of the gender-splicing homosexual chemtrail EcoR1.
    Moles within the gay community confirm that gays are using their advanced mastery of chemistry to mass-produce food coloring and covertly sell it throughout the nation in various food outlets. When organizations and families go to dip their food in these lurid mixtures, little do they know they are setting up fathers nationwide to be preyed upon by gays waiting to partake in a new and bizarre pagan ceremony.

With athletic family-loving dads leaving themselves distracted and exposed in grassy egg-littered fields kissed by the first Spring’s sun, relaxed-fix Oxford shirts and creased chino pants giving an air of nostalgic youth to their bodies, gay men cannot help but watch from afar and salivate as they wait for their carefully planted chemtrail eggs to be found and consumed, the homosexuality taking hold in any straight males who eat the fleshy contents under the gay dyed shells.

Scientists working on behalf the Christian Defense League of Texas confirm tainted eggs and food
    coloring have already been found in 43 states.

http://onlyinamerican.com/2017/04/1...eggs-with-homosexual-inducing-food-colorings/

It is estimated that 30 seconds after an egg has been dipped into a dye containing the new homosexual chemtrail reagent, all the egg underneath is ‘infected with homosexuality’ and will splice the Y-chromosome of any man who eats it, instantly inserting its payload and causing instant onset of homosexuality.

Attached Files: