• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

First Home Buyers Tax Break

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by prawn_86, Feb 4, 2008.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. prawn_86

prawn_86 Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata

How will they monitor what accounts are specifically for houses? Or will a new account need to be set up? And what about those saving via shares/markets, i guess it would make sense to take the cash out if what the gov gives is better than current returns?

Full article:

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,23157163-462,00.html

2. Nyden

Nyden G.E. Money Genie

I'm having difficulty in understanding; will the government contribute (give you) 15% of whatever you put in? Also, with the 5k limit - would this be up to 5k of savings ... or up to 5k they will contribute?

This actually sounds really good, especially with interest rate rises ... families are absolutely struggling these days

Might even be better than my ING account :D

3. prawn_86

My take is they will give you 15% on up to 5k worth of savings.

So if you saved 5k after tax for a first home they would give you $750.

Also, if you do need to separate account, then what happens if for some unforseen reason you need to withdraw it and not spend on a house?

4. MS+Tradesim

MS+Tradesim

This sets the stage for the next property boom. FHOG deja vu. Only good I can see is that it might encourage saving.

5. Buster

Buster

Hmmmm..

Many more questions than answers at the minute, but it certainly looks like a great opprotunity at the moment (without the specifics..:)) for the young troopers out there.. My young bloke is just 16, but I'll certainly be investigating this initiative for his savings account..

Next property bubble?? I agree Tradesim..

Regards,

Buster

6. Nyden

Nyden G.E. Money Genie

Hmm, if that's the case; that's not all that great.

I was hoping for 5k! :D

750 is really just a drop in the ocean, isn't it? Gosh, that's only a few weeks worth of interest on the mortgage ...

Maybe good for those saving up for a caravan, doesn't help those who want a home though? :confused:

7. prawn_86

Its not much, but i think you would find the average person would struggle to save 5k in a year, unfortunately. Hell im a student and i put away that much a year and still go overseas each year also.

I have mentioned on my blog about financial education and whether govs should be responsible, which seems apt to this discussion

8. Nyden

Nyden G.E. Money Genie

But, if they struggle to save 5k a year ... how are these people ever going to be able to pay off a mortgage?

Just seems nonsensical to me, is all.

9. prawn_86

Totally agree, hence the amount of predicted people in mortage stress.

I think that once ppl get a house they are 'forced' to save, which is why adjusting interest rates works so well.

10. Mofra

Mofra

I would like to know how you qualify.
    I have investment property but I have never lived in a property I own, so I am still eligible for FHOG if I choose to apply later.

Would the same apply for this savings account?
    Given I salary sacrifice much of my salary, might I qualify as a "low income earner" given what I submit to the ATO every year?

11. ROE

ROE

crazy ideas more reason for the developers to charge you more for housing...
    the only way to bring housing down is to provide no subside for anything
    investor get none, first home buyer get none.

and if investors are stupid enough to get negative income asset, that their lost money.

That way people dont speculate and buy what they can afford...

12. Happy

Happy

I understood that saving was 15% on marginal tax rate.
    So 16yo would have to earn at least $6000 pa to get over tax-free amount.

13. numbercruncher

numbercruncher Beware of Dropbears

I guess its better than a kick in the teeth, but still doesnt sound very exciting to me !

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/850m-plan-to-cut-home-pain/2008/02/04/1202090323369.html

A five year plan ? Funnily enough 5 years coincides with the year that the peak amount of Baby Boomers are retireing, maybe the Gov expects their houses to flood onto the market then ? ;)

14. roland

roland

I think that a real solution would be to try and de-centralise the population and make regional areas more attractive.

People need jobs, health care, schooling and some visions for the future in an environment that is safe, comfortable and interesting.

Why can't we empower some of our regional centres with all of the above to attract people away from our 4 or 5 bottleneck cities?

15. numbercruncher

numbercruncher Beware of Dropbears

Bit more

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,23162560-5013951,00.html?from=mostpop

Actually now Ive read that it just seems absolutely pathetic, after 5 years people earning under 80k could expect to have like 4k extra :eek:

Maybe the idea is more along the lines of encouraging people to save ? than any sort of real fix ?

16. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Or perhaps it's being able to say that they kept an election promise.
    The amount certainly seems little more than symbolic.

17. stisoon

stisoon

my take on this is that at least the next generation of buyers are getting some assistance. it is better than nothing and it will at least help establish some saving discipline for those that are starting out.