Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Finally good news - Retired premiers' entitlements stripped - NSW

Reactions
Lifetime entitlements for long serving New South Wales Premiers will be scrapped by the current Premier Barry O'Farrell.

Up until now, Premiers who served for five years or more were allowed a lifetime of free airfares, drivers and staff.

Now, they'll only be entitled to these privileges for 12 months after their retirement.

Mr O'Farrell says the changes are fair and will save taxpayers more than $500,000 a year.

Former Premiers Neville Wran, Nick Greiner and Bob Carr will suffer significant cuts to their entitlements after a review found they were some of the most generous in the country.

Air travel will be now be cut altogether, and driver privileges and staff members will be reduced.

ref: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-...-stripped-of-entitlements/4022004?section=nsw

It was about time!
But what about the other states? And what about the rest of the incompetent parliament members' entitlements?

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
Thanks, Roxane. It is indeed good news. Hope the other States follow.

Reactions
Good. Why should the "employer" pay "ex-employees" after they quit, retire or get voted out. I too will wait to see if it goes to other states and federally.

numbercruncher

Beware of Dropbears
Reactions
Great news especially as some of these people are complicit in screwing up the economy ....

Reactions
It was about time!
But what about the other states? And what about the rest of the incompetent parliament members' entitlements?
Roxane
Give it time for the penny to drop. One would think that this direction maybe a little deeper than just NSW. hopefully.!!
joea

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions
I think they should be limited but I don't want to have a ex-Premier being forced to use their inside information to aid rent seekers. However having these entitlements didn't stop Bob Carr doing just that, so there is a case to scrapping them.