Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Fiji holiday advice?

Reactions
I am looking to book a holiday to Fiji next month, has anyone been ? Can you give me any tips on where to stay, any top travel agents who can get us a great deal and any feedback on hotels... ?

kennas

Searching
Reactions
I am looking to book a holiday to Fiji next month, has anyone been ? Can you give me any tips on where to stay, any top travel agents who can get us a great deal and any feedback on hotels... ?
I spent a month there a little while ago.

Are you/do you want?:

Going solo
Family with kids
Backpacking
How long
Want beach
Want diving
Want mountains/city
Resort
Ya ya's
Adventurous
Want something quiet
Cheap/expensive

??

Reactions
Hey Kennas.. Going with partner want to relax on the beach, snorkel a bit and maybe do some basic water sports.. dont want to spend heaps max say $450pnight for two but want something reasonable nice and clean etc.. nice restaurant / bar etc.. every hotel i look at that looks good i read a review and they have photos of tiles falling off the walls etc and that it is the wrost experience of their life..

kennas

Searching
Reactions
Hey Kennas.. Going with partner want to relax on the beach, snorkel a bit and maybe do some basic water sports.. dont want to spend heaps max say $450pnight for two but want something reasonable nice and clean etc.. nice restaurant / bar etc.. every hotel i look at that looks good i read a review and they have photos of tiles falling off the walls etc and that it is the wrost experience of their life..
Yep, things are falling down in Fiji! I backpacked and stayed in mostly very cheap places. I did manage to stay for a few days on Denarau Island at a time share, can't remember the name, but I had a look around and the other places looked awesome. However, Denarau Island is actually only a little out of Nadi, and hardly an island. More a peninsula, separated by a bridge. This is 5 star territory and where most of the mums and dads go.

If you are up for a bit of excitement and fun, I recommend Beachcomber Island Resort. I stayed in the 'Grand Bure' which is a big dorm, but they have premium beach front bure's (huts) as well, which although basic compared to Denarau, are in amazing locations. Great snorkling and there's a major dive shop there. Lot's of activities, and the food was amazing! It's a party each night there, and there's great sun sets!!

Depending on how long you have got, maybe do 1/2 on Denarau and half Beachcomber.

My favorite place was actually Oarsman's Bay Lodge, which I rate as having one of the beast beaches in the world. It's on the north tip of the Yasawa's, and you need to get there by sea plane. I went there for 3 days and sayed for 10. Again though, this is relatively budget, but they were building beachfront huts when I was there that looked amazing.

Reactions
You can try splitting the stay up between two places in case you're worried. I'm sure you've been to http://www.tripadvisor.com/ but thats where we found out a lot more about Taveuni which was pretty amazing for a bit more of a private natural experience and less like a resort. But I've also been to a couple of the resorts on the main island. Just make sure you check out the exact location, a lot of people are disappointed when they arrive on the volcanic sand areas and the beaches aren't white.

Reactions
Hi adobee

My partner and I stayed at "Outrigger on the lagoon"-coral coast in March 2006. We had a great holiday. The resort was immaculate, service great. However, go down the road to the Bedara Resort and you find yourself smack back in some time warp circa 1980!!...so be very carefull. I found the website "tripadviser" great with advice on various resorts. The thing with alot of the resorts is the isolation and once there you are locked into fairly pricey food and drink. For example, my staple strawberry daquairi was $15 a pop. Regardless, we had a great time.

Reactions
Hi adobee

My partner and I stayed at "Outrigger on the lagoon"-coral coast in March 2006. We had a great holiday. The resort was immaculate, service great. However, go down the road to the Bedara Resort and you find yourself smack back in some time warp circa 1980!!...so be very carefull. I found the website "tripadviser" great with advice on various resorts. The thing with alot of the resorts is the isolation and once there you are locked into fairly pricey food and drink. For example, my staple strawberry daquairi was $15 a pop. Regardless, we had a great time.
:eek: adobee, might have to settle for a couple o beers on the rocks;) Theyre probly $14.50 a pop :eek:

Reactions
My daughter and her husband came back from Fiji thoroughly disappointed with a view that it was a waste of money, lacklustre service, overpriced drinks, hot humid, poor dull food, and not worth it in general. Had better time in Thailand or Hawaii. Choose carefully and know what the inclusions are and what the extras are!

professor_frink

Reactions
Hi adobee

I went there last year. Resort was great. Was shocked at how expensive food and drink were(luckily meals were included in the package I got).

Adobee, I would highly recommend not going to Suva. Didn't enjoy it at all!

:eek: adobee, might have to settle for a couple o beers on the rocks;) Theyre probly $14.50 a pop :eek:
Fiji Bitter was about $6.50 a go. Bit expensive, but a lell of a lot cheaper than the cocktails:)

Reactions
I appreciate the feedback..

Will be steering clear of the cocktails .. may have to settle for the carva(?) .. heard it is really good like coffee and dirt mixed together!

numbercruncher

Beware of Dropbears
Reactions
Been to the Sheraton in Nadi quite a few times, nice enough place, drinks expensive as others have mentioned. Not sure what the tariff to stay is as we used to just go to enjoy the pool and have a party (>: - People staying there are mainly Aussies and Kiwis each time I've been.

Much prefer Vanuatu over Fiji, real nice friendly people in Vanuatu and great group of Islands, cheaper than Fiji as well.

Enjoy your holiday!

ps Kava is awful, just drink whatever the local beer is, cant go too far wrong!