Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Email scams

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
Another nasty email Scam

My friend's brother got this the other day in his email, apparently its a Nigerian type scam so I thought I'd share it....Low lives they are
angry.gif

Hello,

I am very sorry for you , is a pity that this is how your life is going to end as soon as you don't comply. As you can see there is no need of introducing myself to you because I don't have any business with you, my duty as I am mailing you now is just to KILL you and I have to do it as I have already been paid for that.

Someone you call a friend wants you Dead by all means over some competitions on machinery/company business which i practically know nothing about, and this person have spent a lot of money in this venture, This person came to us and told me that he wanted you dead and he provided us with your name , picture and other necessary information's we needed about you.

So I sent my boys to track you down and they have carried out the necessary investigation needed for the operation on you, and they have done that but I told them not to kill you that I will like to contact you and see if your life is important to you. I called my client back and ask him of your email address which I didn't tell him what I wanted to do with it and he gave it to me and I am using it to contact you now. As I am writing to you this mail my men are monitoring you and they are telling me everything about you.

Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? Since all program has be made and drawn to kill you. Get back to me now if you are ready to pay some fees to spare your life, $15,000 is all you need to spend in this process you will first of all pay $8,000 then i will send a tape to you which i recorded every discusion i had with the person who wanted you dead and as soon as you get the tape, you will pay the remaining balance of $7,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will carry on with my job straight-up.

WARNING: DO NOT THINK OF CONTACTING THE POLICE OR EVEN TELLING ANYONE BECAUSE I WILL KNOW, REMEMBER, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU VERY WELL WANT YOU DEAD!

I WILL EXTEND IT TO YOUR FAMILY, IN CASE I NOTICE SOMETHING FUNNY ABOUT YOU TELLING THE SECURITY ABOUT IT BECAUSE A GOOD LOOK IS OUT YOU AT THE MOMENT.

DO NOT COME OUT ONCE IT IS 7:pM UNTIL I MAKE OUT TIME TO SEE YOU AND GIVE YOU THE TAPE OF ALL DISCUSSION WITH THE PERSON WHO WANT YOU DEAD THEN YOU CAN USE IT TO TAKE ANY LEGAL ACTION. GOOD LUCK AS I AWAIT YOUR REPLY

Reactions
Re: Another nasty email Scam

Lol, they will try anything won't they?

Well, it's fine because my Uncle, King Mamboozi of west Africa has died recently, and I have inherited his estate. I just need to send my details to the Lawyer in charge and he will release the funds to me.

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions

Lucky You!

I'll have to go halves with a Lawyer in Barcelona, who offers to "prove" that I am infact the only living relative of a family in India, who perished intestate in the Christmas Tsunami and left a $10M fortune. He claimed that Satesh xxxx, sharing my surname, did come from Australia to India, and as I am the only Australian with that surname (including my wife, he's correct on that account) he claims it's easy to establish a family connection.

Yeah - rright! All I need is give him my account details and keep mum about the case, and Satesh is my uncle, so to speak :cautious:

btw, Satesh goes with my surname about as easily as Helmuth Adolph would fit Nekamasekera. :banghead:

PS: I sent the details - including letterhead and International phone numbers - to our Fraud Unit; but they're too busy (or bored) to even reply.

Reactions

Hahahaha, oh mercy!

They won't reply to you post haste - this happens on a daily basis. I am sure they are rather swamped already. Also, because this is being done from other countries, it is difficult to prosecute.

Reactions

Upon receiving an email from someone unknown, I would not read past that part quoted below, if any of it at all.

Hello,

I am very sorry for you,

Reactions

Lol, they will try anything won't they?

Well, it's fine because my Uncle, King Mamboozi of west Africa has died recently, and I have inherited his estate. I just need to send my details to the Lawyer in charge and he will release the funds to me.
I am so sorry to hear of Mamboozi's passing. Please pass my condolences on to the family. We used call him Boozi at Sandhurst.

gg

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions

i Thought i had seen it all pixel..but that one is a first for me.

I get like 12 or 18 a day now since my email was listed on a scammer/hacker site due to the poor security of a bitcoin site...:banghead:

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions

I get like 12 or 18 a day now since my email was listed on a scammer/hacker site due to the poor security of a bitcoin site...:banghead:
I used to be in the same situation, SC;
And then I decided it's worth a couple of bucks to get peace and quiet for a change.
Solution: I registered my own Domain and had my website hosted by VentraIP.
OK, it's about $30 a year, but it's a deductable expense, so it doesn't hurt so much.

In case somebody is interested, here is what I did:

I set up individual email accounts, one per "important" contact. Say I have a bank account with NAB; then I set up the email nab@mydomain.com.au. I only ever tell NAB about this email - and set up a "Message Rule" that chucks everything in the bin that is sent to nab@mydomain.com.au, but doesn't come from NAB's domain.
Takes seconds to set up once and for all - and hey presto! no more SPAM!

If I were to expand the above to every one of my contacts, I might run into a numbers problem; fortunately, family and friends are sufficiently computer-savvy to care for my privacy like I care for theirs. Letting them use one "open" account hasn't (yet) posed a problem.

Well, sometimes, an account does get "contaminated". But as I know whom I assigned it, I can easily advise them of an address change, then totally ignore the crap that comes from elsewhere.

So far, I haven't been forced to take that drastic a measure. One address - that I offered various news services - has become known to an advertising mob, who sometimes send me uninvited "freebies". But they're easily recognised, and the "Del" button is never far.

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions

I used to be in the same situation, SC;
And then I decided it's worth a couple of bucks to get peace and quiet for a change.
Solution: I registered my own Domain and had my website hosted by VentraIP.
OK, it's about $30 a year, but it's a deductable expense, so it doesn't hurt so much.

In case somebody is interested, here is what I did:

I set up individual email accounts, one per "important" contact. Say I have a bank account with NAB; then I set up the email nab@mydomain.com.au. I only ever tell NAB about this email - and set up a "Message Rule" that chucks everything in the bin that is sent to nab@mydomain.com.au, but doesn't come from NAB's domain.
Takes seconds to set up once and for all - and hey presto! no more SPAM!

If I were to expand the above to every one of my contacts, I might run into a numbers problem; fortunately, family and friends are sufficiently computer-savvy to care for my privacy like I care for theirs. Letting them use one "open" account hasn't (yet) posed a problem.

Well, sometimes, an account does get "contaminated". But as I know whom I assigned it, I can easily advise them of an address change, then totally ignore the crap that comes from elsewhere.

So far, I haven't been forced to take that drastic a measure. One address - that I offered various news services - has become known to an advertising mob, who sometimes send me uninvited "freebies". But they're easily recognised, and the "Del" button is never far.
That's smart...i like it. :D

The thought occurs to me that i could do the same for free through my ISP...i think iinet give me 5 email addresses (i currently don't use any) free with my internet connection account...so if i was to make up ultra safe password type email accounts like

49*Hkwoa(comsec)h7$hJmO_9@iinet.net.au

Then give each important account that sends me email there own unique email and set up appropriate rules in my email client...id be almost 100% crap/spam free...for free.

Reactions

Hahahaha, oh mercy!

They won't reply to you post haste - this happens on a daily basis. I am sure they are rather swamped already. Also, because this is being done from other countries, it is difficult to prosecute.
I guess the best way we can do about is to ignore it. If the email is an obvious scam, I don't even want to read it, and delete it immediately.

Reactions
I saw an absolute ripper the other day.

Gotta have a dig around for it, l'll post once found.

DB80

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
This is one of the better quality scam emails I get, but still obviously a scam that I reckon some would be tempted to click on the link, hence I have blacked out parts so I can't be identified and no silly goof tries it out.

Although it has a logo that many would presume to be a legitimate organisation, the give away for me is I get confirmation of all the transactions I make from my bank and I haven't made any out of the ordinary transactions that have been cancelled or that I would expect to be notified of cancellation by anyone other than the institutions I have dealt with, let alone with that reference number.

From my limited expertese the 'exe' after pdf seems to indicate code to set up a program in my computer.

Can some of you experts confirm or eloberate whether this might be a trogan or similar?

Attachments

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions
This is one of the better quality scam emails I get, but still obviously a scam that I reckon some would be tempted to click on the link, hence I have blacked out parts so I can't be identified and no silly goof tries it out.

Although it has a logo that many would presume to be a legitimate organisation, the give away for me is I get confirmation of all the transactions I make from my bank and I haven't made any out of the ordinary transactions that have been cancelled or that I would expect to be notified of cancellation by anyone other than the institutions I have dealt with, let alone with that reference number.

From my limited expertese the 'exe' after pdf seems to indicate code to set up a program in my computer.

Can some of you experts confirm or eloberate whether this might be a trogan or similar?
With an exe file extension (. last 3 letters) it certainly looks like an executable file (program) the .pdf before the exe is a nice touch :)

These scams are getting better and better...people should also be aware of advancements in password hacking/guessing software....basically if your important pass words are a word or 2 words together they are not safe.

Also be aware of password reset questions and answers that can be deduced or guessed easily.

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
With an exe file extension (. last 3 letters) it certainly looks like an executable file (program) the .pdf before the exe is a nice touch :)
Yeah, I thought a bit more clever than the run of the mill too.

These scams are getting better and better...people should also be aware of
advancements in password hacking/guessing software....basically if your
important pass words are a word or 2 words together they are not safe.

Also be aware of password reset questions and answers that can be deduced or
guessed easily.
On passwords, I note the ATO online services requires a mix of alphabetical, numerical and higher and lower case...and for online banking, one of my institutions has a program than posts up random letters to correspond with the digits 1 to 9, where you then have to type in a letter instead of your ATM pin to log on.

These seem to me to be more secure password login's, but if I clicked on a link like above and installed a hacking program on my computer, I suppose they may even be vulnerable.

Reactions
Here's one I get frequently even though each new one has the sender blocked. There are some clues - the spelling of "cancelled" is incorrect.

I don't have a "checking" account.

And who is the ACH?

The real danger is the link. When hovering over with the mouse on the actual email, the link does not go to the address showing on the email - it is quite different.

Quite a few red flags.

Attachments

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
Here's one I get frequently even though each new one has the sender blocked. There are some clues - the spelling of "cancelled" is incorrect.

I don't have a "checking" account.

And who is the ACH?

The real danger is the link. When hovering over with the mouse on the actual email, the link does not go to the address showing on the email - it is quite different.

Quite a few red flags.
That scam is obviously designed for the US market.
btw, you can check any link inside an email by right-clicking and then viewing its Properties. Display the source and look for the sections that show the return path and, further down, the embedded links. The "true" URL is encoded in something like <a href="http://...">, which is then followed by the text that appears in html. Differences between the two serve as a red flag.
Of course, you can also force all emails to be shown as plain text only; but that would make messages from trustworthy sources somewhat hard to read.

Reactions
Hi all , Just a heads up as I just received and email scam from some lovely man called Patrick in Colonge Germany promising many riches if I shared my personal details with him. It seems the North and West African scammers may have shifted base .:mad:

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
Hi all , Just a heads up as I just received and email scam from some lovely man called Patrick in Colonge Germany promising many riches if I shared my personal details with him. It seems the North and West African scammers may have shifted base .:mad:
Like everybody else, they'd qualify as bona fides "refugees"... :rolleyes: