• Already own one

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 24.7%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters

Value Collector

Have courage, and be kind.
Reactions
We all pay for electricity infrastructure, generators, poles and wires etc, but Tesla is claiming exclusive use of some of it.

Anyway, we'll see if this plays out in the ACCC as anti competitive behaviour.
No, it’s claiming exclusive use of some of the private equipment it plugs into the electrical network.

Just like your toaster is yours alone to use, even though it may be powered by electricity from the grid.

All Tesla chargers are on private land and the equipment is all privately owned, no government money or government land was used to fund the purchase of the charging infrastructure.

Value Collector

Reactions
So if Im a member and I pass away, the kids keep the membership?
If I pass on tbe Tesla, the next person gets the membership, yet havent paid for it.
How much was the cost of membership, apportioned on the Tesla purchase contract?
Are you talking about Disney, yes because you are part owner in the building you pass that on to your kids.

If you die owning a Tesla, you pass that car on to your kids too, and all the benefits of Tesla ownership pass along with the car.

It’s not a membership that is itemised on the invoice, I am using the term Membership for comparison sake, it’s more of a perk of Tesla ownership vs the brands that don’t support their customers.

But, anyone that owns a Tesla will tell you that access to the supercharger network is a valuable perk, even if it’s never itemised on any bill.

Even if another company sold a car that was exactly the same in all other regards, I would still pay a bit extra to get the Tesla just because of the super charger network, and that goes for second hand cars too.

Reactions
I can understand your logic, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I have RAC insurance, but I dont have roadside assist, also you dont have to have RAC insurance to only have roadside assist.

Reactions
I bought Telstra shares in the initial floats and was annoyed when the ACCC gave Singtel access to Telstras infrastructure, we the shareholders paid for it why should an overseas based company get to piggyback on it.
But it happened in the public interest.

Value Collector

Reactions
I bought Telstra shares in the initial floats and was annoyed when the ACCC gave Singtel access to Telstras infrastructure, we the shareholders paid for it why should an overseas based company get to piggyback on it.
But it happened in the public interest.
It would be next to impossible for each company to lay their own phone cable network going to each house, so to prevent Telstra being a monopoly they need to give access to other companies.

However, as petrol stations have shown, it’s easy for competing companies to building refuelling stations along side each other and compete.

Ev charging stations are much more similar to petrol stations than telecommunications infrastructure.

Reactions
It would be next to impossible for each company to lay their own phone cable network going to each house, so to prevent Telstra being a monopoly they need to give access to other companies.

However, as petrol stations have shown, it’s easy for competing companies to building refuelling stations along side each other and compete.

Ev charging stations are much more similar to petrol stations than telecommunications infrastructure.
Yes but a national petrol station installer if it was the very early roll out of petrol cars, wouldn't be allowed to install pumps, that only worked on Holden cars.
They may be allowed to install a higher percentage of pumps at each location that were Holden specific if Holden were funding it, but I'm sure the ACCC would demand at least some pumps at each outlet had to be universal fitment.
The same competition rules have to apply to Tesla as applied to Telstra, the general public is supplying the infrastructure that supports Teslas charging infrastructure, if public demand calls for more access i'm sure the ACCC will become involved as it did with Telstra.
If Tesla had a solar installation supplying each charger, maybe they would have a stronger case, but from my experience "in the publics interest" is a very broad mandate for the ACCC, which it has used on numerous ocassions.
By the way great discussion IMO.