• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Electric cars?

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by tothemax6, Jan 22, 2011.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

Would you buy an electric car?

1. Already own one

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Yes - would definitely buy

18 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

42 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. No - would never buy one

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

Mate do the math,

How many km’s do you drive everyday?

If it’s less than 400, you will never need to go to a charging station, you just charge at home each night, going to the petrol station is old fashioned thinking.

Charging stations are just for road trips, and as I said there is pretty much a national network already.

As the number or electric cars grows, so will the number of charging stations, but we will never need the same number of charging stations as we do petrol stations, and its much easier to install a charging bay than a petrol station.

2. Humid

Humid

A S model pulled up next to me at the lights and I got chatting to the driver
    When I mentioned the torque his face lit up and said watch this
    Geez no wheel spin no noise just gone.......fast

3. sptrawler

sptrawler

Even the new 2018 Nissan Leaf, will do the 0 _ 100 in 6 seconds. Electric is instant torque, but the battery will run out quickly if you keep flooring it. Lol

4. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

So will your fuel tank, at least will electric cars you have regenerative braking, so the people will lead feet aren’t wasting as much energy or brake pads

sptrawler likes this.
  5. qldfrog

qldfrog

Funny isnt it that petrolheads are becoming the heros of CC war

6. sptrawler

sptrawler

I think electric vehicles will be forced on the general public, most Countries are legislating the banning of ICE within a time frame.
    So I guess there is no point in fighting the inevitable, life goes on, it is just the norm changes.

7. qldfrog

qldfrog

Do not take me wrong, i am looking forward at getting an electric myself only one i could consider last time i checked was the BMW one.

8. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

A true point - thinking back there would have been three occasions in the past decade when I've used more than a full tank of fuel in a single day.

Where it gets complex however is that there would be rather a lot where there's no current infrastructure with which to charge overnight. Anyone parked on the street in particular has that problem and that's a lot of cars.

Sdajii likes this.
  9. sptrawler

sptrawler

I will be waiting untill they are common place, and the infrastructure is in place to support them.
    When I was younger, I was an early up taker, Tandy TRS80 16kb of memory no such thing as the internet, comes to mind.
    I will wait untill they are viable, if I'm still here.:eek:

10. Darc Knight

Darc Knight Investor not Trader

Mid to late 80s. Yep, had a Tandy computer. Either that or an Atari Home computer - only two on the market after Commodore. Two giants in the computer market :D

11. sptrawler

sptrawler

It was before the Atari and Commodre from memory, the only other around at the time I think was a Sinclair ZX81 produced by Timex lol.:roflmao:
    When the Commodore came out it was unbelievable, 64K of memory, unbelievable.

qldfrog and Darc Knight like this.
  12. ghotib

ghotib THIMKER

Another true point, and possibly another reason why rising generations won't bother to own their own vehicles.

13. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's a pity they didn't go with the 70's idea of battery replacement stations like they do with forklifts etc. Much better than charging stations with 40 minute waiting times.

Until electric cars have at least a thousand k range between charges they aren't viable for me.

14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

No there was the Apple II, my first computer, pretty good for its day, and guess what, they are still in business. :)

Commodore built a good machine called the Amiga, pity it didn't catch on.

sptrawler likes this.
  15. sptrawler

sptrawler

Range and charge times are definitely the problem, especially when you get away from the Cities.
    Even running LPG cars is a problem in Country W.A, so electric will be a nightmare, you can't carry a couple of jerry cans of electricity.
    No doubt they will sort it out, but it wont be any time soon. IMO

16. sptrawler

sptrawler

We really are showing our age.:eek:
    Apple have done amazing well, considering Microsoft bailed them out, in the 1990's.

SirRumpole likes this.
  17. rederob

rederob

You would be an outlier.
    My last workplace involved daily travel averaging about 1000km a week, and this would be a doddle with an EV and overnight charging.
    Even longer trips with a coffee/recharge break for 15 minutes every 2 hours would comfortably get me Brisbane <> Sydney in most EVs now on the market.
    With faster recharging technology being available, and longer-range vehicles hitting the market there is probably going to be a product for 99% of the car market by 2023.

Not Enough Coffee likes this.
  18. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Diesel or petrol electric hybrids seem to be a good compromise between the extremes until the charging network can be fully established.

They seem to offer the best of both worlds, electric around town, ICE for long trips thus averting range fear.

sptrawler likes this.
  19. Lantern

Lantern

0-60-MPH in 3secs and a ute to boot. I likes this.

20. Humid

Humid

How do they measure the motor capacity for rego?