• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Effect of election on Aussie economy?

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by db94, Feb 1, 2013.

1. db94

db94

The title pretty much sums it up. What has happened historically during election years? do you think it will have an effect, especially since its been called so early?

2. burglar

burglar

Re: Effect of election on Aussie economy

My opinion:
    The economy will improve more under the Coalition than it would under Labor.

3. stewiejp

stewiejp

How about in the 200+ days leading up to the election?

4. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Re: Effect of election on Aussie economy

Try that

5. db94

db94

thats what I meant, maybe title doesnt say it well.

so what effect will the pre-election period have on the economy?

6. Country Lad

Country Lad Off into the sunset

Probably sink it further in debt as Labor try to buy their way back into government.

7. burglar

burglar

Does pork barrelling stimulate the economy?

8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

I think there was an article on this topic on either smh.com.au or news.com.au but I can no longer find it :(

9. robusta

robusta

It's gunna be fantastic, all our problems will be solved. Both sides will promise to fix hospitals, schools, new roads, sporting stadiums, stop those pesky boat people and believe it or not we will all end up with more cash in our pocket each weak. Meanwhile they will both tell us the the other side will sell us down the river and stuff the country.

How long will we listen to this crap???

10. stewiejp

stewiejp

Never a truer word said. I remember current PM - JG stating that she would "Stop the boats" before the last election (FWIW I am in no way against the boats, just a quote) - and hearing Eddie "Everywhere" McGuire on the radio (I know, I know..) saying, "That's awesome because the only way the boats will stop is if all conflicts in the world stops, and people in other countries standard of living rises - that can't be a bad thing!" Got to say I agree with him.... we all know it was spin from JG though...

IMO yes, the pork barrelling will be big, as seems to be the norm, likely stimulating the economy. If the Libs get in, investors (in general) will be happy - therefore stock prices will rise too. Pretty simple way of seeing things but I think reasonably accurate.

OP - my earlier quote was a reiteration on what I understood to be the original topic. Good one.

11. robusta

robusta

Can't remember if it was last time or the time before or even before that but interest rates will be higher under Labor, Liberals will bring back work choices, we will fix the hospitals, the other side wont fix the hospitals, no child will live in poverty... blah, blah, blah. Then when they get in the other mob left the economy in a worse state than we thought, that was a non core promise...

Hopefully they will build some decent infrastructure admits all the pork barreling.

12. stewiejp

stewiejp

Then when they get in the other mob left the economy in a worse state than we thought

That old chestnut - they all love that one. However, I fear we are straying from the topic of how the economy will be in the lead up to September..

13. burglar

burglar

It will depend on the polls ... up to a point.

14. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Actually Gillard gave a fairly frank assessment seems went right over everyone's head.

Gillard's reality check tough and correct

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/gill...and-correct-20130201-2dq7q.html#ixzz2JmkuTWNj

15. FlyingFox

FlyingFox

Interesting. I haven't seen the original press conf but the article is very enlightening. Guess Labor aren't the complete idiots that I thought they were. Kinda scary at the same time....

16. FlyingFox

FlyingFox

not to mention the budget....