Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Ebola Outbreak Kills 5000 Gorillas!

Reactions
Scary stuff people!!:bad:
Not only for our gentle giant brothers, but for humans and chimps as well. This could be the end for wild gorillas if people don't pull their fingers out. Check it out....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061208101331.htm

Researchers recently "showed that 93% (221 of 238) individually known gorillas at the Lossi Sanctuary in northwest Congo were killed by Ebola during outbreaks in 2002 and 2003. They then used transect surveys to show that 95% gorilla mortality rates extended over a much larger area of several thousand square kilometres. Chimpanzees were also heavily affected, with a mortality rate of 77%."

A vaccine exists but I can't believe there is no vaccination program up and running. :swear: (for the gorillas I mean).

Dunno if the local folks have one or not - but then again - seeing they are poor africans - probably not huh.

What do you reckon...??
--------------
A message from your Pantheist/Evolutionist/Ape-man/brother Dukey!! :(

Reactions
Re: Ebola Outbreak Kills 5000 Gorillas!!

dukey, howdy
m8 - i heard this on abc - terrifying!
maybe man can intercede on their behalf , make a positive contribution for once. 93% mortality - sheesh, that's as bad as traders ( sorry - very poor joke :( )

The other comment i'll add is (my conception anyway ) that - were there still forests / jungles aplenty, then they would have a much better chance of recovery (with or without our belated and arguably two-sided and hypocritical help) - But man has painted all these species into such tight corners, where territorial matters cause massive upheaval - compare living in a small but overcrowded slum I guess. Just a small "straw" is enough to break the camels/gourillas back. Anyway doesn't sound like the slum will be so overcrowded in the future. :(

This question of clearance of jungles may not be perfectly applicable in africa, but it is in the amazon and australia for other species - even koalas. And, if we want to escalate a war, why not ramp up the war on ferrule cats - sorry Im getting way way off the topic.

PS to be honest, I'm surprised there WERE even 5000 gourillas left (albeit past tense)!

Reactions

Yep - agree wholeheartedly with all that - not so sure about Ferrule cats though!!

All the cats here in Okinawa are made of flesh and bone - not Iron.;)

:jump:

Reactions

Ebola Zaire
Upto 90% mortality rate.
Crazy. If that breaks and hits a major city that's an international gateway, l'd say that most of us are stuffed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola
The Zaire virus, formerly named Zaire Ebola Virus, has the highest case-fatality rate, up to 90% in some epidemics, with an average case fatality rate of approximately 83% over 27 years. There have been more outbreaks of Zaire ebolavirus than any other species. The first outbreak took place on 26 August 1976 in Yambuku.[6] Mabalo Lokela, a 44-year-old schoolteacher, became the first recorded case. The symptoms resembled malaria, and subsequent patients received quinine. The initial transmission was believed to be due to reuse of the needle for Lokela's injection without sterilization. Subsequent transmission was also due to lack of barrier nursing and the traditional burial preparation method, which involves washing and gastrointestinal tract cleansing.

Reactions

Ebola Zaire
Upto 90% mortality rate.
Crazy. If that breaks and hits a major city that's an international gateway, l'd say that most of us are stuffed.
It might be time to resurrect an old topic and ask ourselves, is the world being told the truth about this current ebola outbreak?

ebola chart.png

ebola-cartoon.jpg

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
The two Americans with Ebola who were evacuated to a quarantine hospital with state of the art facilities were, as of a couple of days ago, making some level of recovery.

That's no reason to be reassured however. The experimental drug with which they were treated apparently has no hope of being manufactured in any significant number of doses within the near future.
Meantime, at least as of yesterday, flights were still coming and going from the affected African countries according to the ABC.

Much to worry about imo.

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reactions
The two Americans with Ebola who were evacuated to a quarantine hospital with state of the art facilities were, as of a couple of days ago, making some level of recovery.

That's no reason to be reassured however. The experimental drug with which they were treated apparently has no hope of being manufactured in any significant number of doses within the near future.
Meantime, at least as of yesterday, flights were still coming and going from the affected African countries according to the ABC.

Much to worry about imo.
Agree 100% Julia.

When I saw the tiny article in my local paper at the start of this current outbreak a couple of months back I had a bad, sinking feeling in my guts. I was hoping that the contagion would be contained because if it wasn't done so real quick, I knew we could have a pandemic on our hands. It sure seems to be developing that way.

Now, well as of this evenings Lateline (ABC), I'm informed that the WHO has declared the outbreak an international health emergency. I also understand about $350 million in aid to try and contain the epidemic is pouring into those West African countries most affected as, these countries have limited resources to tackle the worst Ebola outbreak on record. Could be a case of too little too late but as you say, much to worry about.

Reactions

Here is a press conference quote from the W.H.O. Director General, Margaret Chan:

“The [WHO] committee’s decision was unanimous. Its advice to me acknowledges the serious and unusual nature of the [ebola] outbreak and the potential for further international spread."

http://on.aol.com/video/who-calls-ebola-world-health-emergency-518361879

Emphasis in bold is mine. What exactly does this mean? I have read some comments suggesting that the ebola transmission might have become airborne but I have regarded the sources as dubious (eg zerohedge).

But the statement from Chan is sufficiently vague to give me a creepy feeling about all of this.

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reactions
With planes flying in and out and transporting known infected people from affected countries, Ebola is surely airborne!

Ebola is known to have a 50% to a 90% casualty rate, this particular outbreak is being touted as having only a 60% rate. I wouldn't like to see 60% of Australians wiped out that's for sure. Perhaps it's this that is unusual in nature and perhaps the seriousness is that it allows Ebola scope for mutation.

The real concern of course is that there is no vaccine available for this deadly virus.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease