• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Donald Trump withdraws US from Paris CC accord: Where to now?

1. basilio

basilio

Well this is a perfect way to unite the rest of the world against a Donald Trump led US. I think Germany, France and many other European countries will be (largely) politically united in their contempt for Trumps decision to deny the reality of CC. The consequences for trade, intelligence sharing, alliances will be profound. I wouldn't be surprised to see some creative leaks of intelligence information intended to destroy Donald Trump.

By the same token a decision by the Paris Climate Accord countries to put a carbon tax on exports from nations that aren't part of the accord would seem eminently reasonable...

I can only see China and Germany coming to the fore politically and industrially as leaders in CC technology.
    I think the US will have very deep splits. Eighty percent of business interests will recognise the madness of dumping the Paris accord and xissing off the rest of the world (in which they have to do business)

97+% of the scientific community will be equally furious at this insane action. Watch for some serious poaching of scientists to Europe. I think there will be open revolt in a number of institutions which will take the form of protecting all the CC date that is the backbone of our understanding of the issues and situation.

The Republican Party will watch public opinion take another dive into the depths and this time supported by a swag of big business interest, 60 plus city mayors of all politics, and a growing number of their own party. It will be a political nightmare. It can only be solved by ditching Trump and replacing him with a President who at the very least takes the US back into the accord. And all along the loss of US influence, prestige and hard and soft power across the world will be palpable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f0347e9b69b2fb981dc07/?utm_term=.81eb50858932

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...t-climate-change-global-warming-a7766521.html
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science...upport-staying-in-the-paris-agreement/528663/

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/05/mcmaster-cohn-trump/528609/

pixel and bellenuit like this.
  2. brty

brty

Trump leaving the Paris climate accord is probably one of the best things to happen in a long time. Suddenly it seems most of the world is united and will go their own way without waiting for US political policy. Even the powerful within the US are now coming out, great to see...

The following is why Trump's decision is not just meaningless, but a day that united most of the world........

"Larry Fink – chairman and CEO of BlackRock
    BlackRock, an investment manager that overseas $5tn in assets, has become increasingly vocal about its concerns on climate change. Fink has warned CEOs he is losing patience with those that fail to account for how they will address the cost of climate change, both from new regulation and a changing planet.

Exxon, Occidental Petroleum and PPL, a large utility holding company, have all been forced to be more transparent about the impact of climate change on their businesses after pressure from BlackRock."

I use to be a climate skeptic, and was called a denier. There is now too much evidence to be a skeptic.

explod and pixel like this.
  3. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Typical of your abusive response to fellow posters expressing an opinion different to yours.

You're a disgrace and should follow your mate Calliope into the Internet twilight zone.

pixel and explod like this.
  4. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I know you don't, that's the problem. I reported your comment because I've had enough of you hurling insults around here, and then saying "who me" . All the others on this board are capable of having a reasonable discussion except you.

pixel and McLovin like this.
  5. Logique

Logique Investor

SirR perhaps in your report against Noco, you might also quote your post #4 in this thread, urging readers to boycott US, Chinese and Indian trade goods! This is far more subversive than any so-called 'insult' from Noco.
    Someone is trying to shut down a contradictory opinion here, and it isn't Noco!

Bintang and wayneL like this.
  6. Logique

Logique Investor

No dictators in the city are there! Only in regional Australia.

When Noco is run out of this General Chat forum, I'll go with him/her (it's a PC world). Not that I imagine anyone in the inner-city bubble would care. Out of touch with real Australia.

Bintang and wayneL like this.
  7. Boggo

Boggo

Because the previous guy with the dubious birth certificate and his feet on the desk was too busy the Paris accord was never ratified by the US senate and was never anything more than a proposal.

CanOz likes this.
  8. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Well, I see a political sea change with regards to CC agreements.

Trump telling them to naff off is refreshing and may be the beginning of some sanity entering international politics.

It is also entertaining to witness the chagrin of <censored > like basilio. The weeping and gnashing of teeth warms the soul. :D

Bintang likes this.
  9. basilio

basilio

"New technology will eliminate 90% of green house gases from coal fired power stations and is well in advance." Noco

Really and truly ? But why bother Noco if there is no such thing as global warming and greenhouse gases have no influence on it. I mean why not just endlessly repeat your endless dribble about the worldwide global warming scam ?

And as for "new technology to eliminate 90% of GG gases from coal fired power stations"
    That is so pie in the sky rubbish it makes Father Christmas look legit. How about checking out some facts on the ways and means and costs of improving the efficiency and reducing emissions from coal fired power stations. Makes wind and solar look a breeze.

https://theconversation.com/is-clean-coal-power-the-answer-to-australias-emissions-targets-71785

pixel likes this.
  10. basilio

basilio

Well surprise, surprise, surprise...
    The EU has dropped Donald Trump like a large, stinky dog xurd and gone directly to the States, cities and businesses that have pledged to follow through on CC action.

.... and China has chimed in to restate it's commitment to international agreements and action on CC

EU to bypass Trump administration after Paris climate agreement pullout
    Brussels rejects Trump’s offer to renegotiate landmark deal, as global politicians, business leaders and US state governors criticise president

3068.jpg

Chinese premier Li Keqiang (right) with European commission president Jean-Claude Juncker. Both spoke of a commitment to tackling global warming. Photograph: Francois Lenoir/Reuters

Shares

Daniel Boffey, Kate Connolly and Anushka Asthana

Friday 2 June 2017 22.08 AEST First published on Friday 2 June 2017 17.11 AEST

The European Union has rejected Donald Trump’s offer to renegotiate the Paris climate agreement and pledged instead to bypass Washington to work with US business leaders and state governors to implement the historic accord’s commitments.

Less than 24 hours after the US president announced his decision to withdraw from the 2015 agreement and strike a new, less ambitious deal with the rest of the world, Brussels declared its outright refusal to engage in such talks.

EU officials will instead cut out the White House to deal directly with the US states and major corporations, many of whom have already pledged to live by the terms forged in Paris.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...fighting-global-warming-despite-us-withdrawal

pixel likes this.
  11. brty

brty

My brain is just fine. When circumstances or evidence change, I'm well prepared to change my mind. There is no other logical course of action.

pixel likes this.
  12. noco

noco

noirua likes this.
  13. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Oh dear me, I've had plenty of discussions with noco, but when he resorts to abuse (which is quite often) then any of us have a right to say so.

As for being 'subversive' by boycotting goods, we all have a right to spend our money how we like don't we ?

explod likes this.
  14. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I'm not sure greeting a post with the insinuation of the poster being mentally ill is warranted given it was about a top echelon money investor supporting transparency in business and the poster revealing his open mindedness.

It goes to form and it's not like the insult was coming from a member who is known for brevity, which according to Shakespeare is the soul of wit........ if you get my drift:rolleyes:

SirRumpole likes this.