Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Dogs of the Dow anyone?

Reactions
Anyone out there follow this strategy? For the uninitiated, it's basically picking the 10 highest yielding stocks at the start of each year in the hope that the gains and yields will beat out the index most years. History seems to bear this out. So, is this only for the US? Is there an Australian version of this strategy (Dogs of the ASX?).

Also, if I choose to try this with the top US Dow stocks, what are the penalties/fees/taxes incurred from the standpoint of an Australian Investor?

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reactions
I do similar, all contrarian investors do something similar...unloved stocks of the ASX, and why get hung up on a set date, buy cheap unloved stocks be they big small or medium...who cares.

Reactions
I do similar, all contrarian investors do something similar...unloved stocks of the ASX, and why get hung up on a set date, buy cheap unloved stocks be they big small or medium...who cares.
I don't get why they're called "dogs"... many of these stocks seem to be the most commonly held and traded, ANZ, NAB, TLS etc. Are we talking about the same stocks?

ROE

Reactions
I don't get why they're called "dogs"... many of these stocks seem to be the most commonly held and traded, ANZ, NAB, TLS etc. Are we talking about the same stocks?
They called dog because they lag the index in recent time or hasn't performed, some like TLS hasn't gone any where for a decade etc...(They normally use share price).

I buy whatever provides best bang for the buck (good yield and can be maintained/increase and trades
at a price I'm willing to pay).

Some of these stocks can be dogs or down right risky but if it fits into my pool of probability and trades at price I like I'm in.

Reactions
Like others, I do similar - but I don't use dividend yields, as they seem to have a lower performance than other factors (from a capital growth point of view).

If you wanted to follow it, you should be able to find the dividend yields quite easily for something like the ASX50 or something like that, and you could take your top 10 from there, or top 5 from the ASX 20 - that would probably be even closer (in spirit) to Dogs of the Dow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pepperoni Hi all! and "Dogs of the Dow" Beginner's Lounge 5
Tisme Barking Dogs General Chat 9
burglar Bill Clinton and the Four Dogs Defence General Chat 5
Julia Arthritis in Dogs General Chat 15