• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Dodgy Record Date?

Discussion in 'ASX Stock Chat' started by Synergy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Synergy

Synergy

BML has a rights issue with a record date of 5pm 21 January.

If I bought shares on the 17th, I would have expected to be eligible for the issue, but apparently not.

I would assume that for something like this, there is a standard time... I can't imagine it would be left to chance as to whether or not it takes 3, 4 or 5 days to get onto the registry.

T+3 would have been the 20th, how I'm not on the registry by 5pm on the 21st has me stumped.

Here's a reply to a similar question from another post here:

It can take up to four trading days for transactional information from CHESS to appear on the register.

CHESS transactions made less than four trading days before the record date cannot be guaranteed to come onto the register before the record date.

As my trade was made 4 days before the record date I would assume it would be eligible?

2. Synergy

Synergy

Someone has informed me elsewhere that BML was quoted Ex on the 17th, and it is standard practice for shares to go Ex 4 days before the record date.

3. skyQuake

skyQuake

Be aware that record date for cap raising is generally 5 days while for normal divvies is 3 days

4. skc

skc Goldmember

Or perhaps read the rights issue prospectus that says ex date is 17 Jan.

Page 5.