• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Do you back up your Norgate data?

Discussion in 'Software and Data' started by Newt, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Newt

Newt

Is there any reason to backup Norgate data every month when prompted?

I subscribe to Norgate's excellent Premium Data for the ASX to feed Amibroker. A few times a year I encounter a corruption for stocks starting with the same letter of the alphabet. Recovery is simple and relatively quick - download their history install tool then run the update application. Amibroker keeps all its notations etc in its directory.

It seems to me a reinstall would be easy than restoring a backup, so is there any reason to do one?

2. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

I'm running the same setup as you and I often wonder whether I should be clicking on the backup prompt when it appears in the Norgate download utility--I never click on the backup prompt.

Rightly or wrongly, I elect not to click on the backup prompt because I figure I am doing an overall system backup up of my hard drive everyday and so if I have any problem recovering my Norgate data I can just recover it from my system backup, which is a relatively easy task. Not sure this is the right approach, but would love to hear what others do.

3. Newt

Newt

Thanks MA. The more I think about it, it doesn't make sense to backup the Trading Data directory alone. The really valuable info for me is buried in the Amibroker directory - all my indicators, chart notations, etc.

The history directory I could download and reinstall from scratch in 5mins. I guess even a few years ago before broadband reliable fast downloads weren't guaranteed though.

4. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

Absolutely agree...I'm much more concerned about my Amibroker system code.