Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Road vehicle, t > 2hr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exotic (please tell!)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hi All,

Interested to get a cross-section of daily commute times/means. For the last two years my commute has been either: 3mins, or ~1 hr, depending on the department that needed me at the time. I must confess that I prefer the 3mins department much more :D. It effectively gives me a raise of -10hrs/week. At my upcoming new job I intend to move to a new place, just to get as close as possible to the office.

So what are peoples thoughts on the commute time? Would you rather live out in a nice place, but suffer an effectively longer work week and the pains of traffic. Or would prefer a walk to work but with a more expensive or lower quality residence?

Bill M

Self Funded Retiree
Reactions
Hi All,

So what are peoples thoughts on the commute time? Would you rather live out in a nice place, but suffer an effectively longer work week and the pains of traffic. Or would prefer a walk to work but with a more expensive or lower quality residence?
I've done both and I reckon the nearer to work the better. In Sydney that means a living in a unit instead of a house (budget wise). Walking to work certainly compensates for that. Now retired way out so it's better to be in the house.

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
You must have an employee mindset :p:... you have not mentioned working from home, ie home base business/Professional/Tradie/farm etc who travel to different sites, not to work per se, but as part of their work.

I've just about done it all... as a kid I started working at home on the family farm and from home for part, full time and contract jobs up to an hour commute and done similar all my life.

I have lived in town, a 5 minute walk from job and country property on job working from home.

For me there is nothing like being at least partly self employed.

At the end of the day it's always a compromise that best suits my current work/business/social interests.

Reactions
Someone chose (exotic), but didn't specify - shame! :D

So is it a boat or a helicopter?

doctorj

Hatchet Moderator
Reactions
Gone for road vehicle - generally cycle 45mins each way to work 3 times per week. Much prefer risking life and limb with buses and cabs than being jammed in on the underground...

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
Someone chose (exotic), but didn't specify - shame! :D

So is it a boat or a helicopter?
Horseback actually :eek: :p:... but not so much these days... as well as tractor (not officially road vehicle :nono:) and boat to work and leisure activities sometimes.

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
Lol, what exactly is your line of work :confused:
Mainly farm based business, but I've also worked in various, mostly supervisory, management or contractural positions in civil and building construction and logistics over the years apart from a few executive positions in community organisations.

There are many jobs where people ride horses to work... typically Graziers, Mounted Police, DPI Stock Inspectors, Council Stock and Enviornmental Officers/Inspectors, some National Parks Officers etc... before we even start on study or leisure/day activities.

Where have you been all your life!? :cautious:

Reactions
I would rather be close to work - I walk or 5 mins by car.

Reactions
I live in the west and travel to Richmond. Once work finishes on the bridge it should speed up. I usually take the back ways, which is quicker then the Westgate Fway but it's still about 1hr drive to work.

When there is no traffic it takes about 30min