• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Crypto Currencies, and the next big thing

1. Modest

Modest $PEPE

[​IMG]

McLovin, kid hustlr and Joules MM1 like this.
  2. skyQuake

skyQuake

Seems fairly loose...

Etherium has signed on some really big names so there's some hope there

Bitcoin still comes out ahead in my books long term due to the built in deflation/hard cap of 21m.
    First mover advantage also helps!

Skate likes this.
  3. galumay

galumay learner

...and risk!

You are right though, we are talking at cross purposes, you are gambling on a speculative online commodity, I was talking about whether bitcoin and the like are really a currency and whether they can become a mainstream mechanism for trading goods and services. The volatility is a massive impediment to them becoming a real currency.

Quant likes this.
  4. Junior

Junior

Agreed re volatility being an impediment. A lot of my mates are punting big on Cryptos at the moment. They have no experience with investing but have quickly become 'experts'. They are building what they believe to be diversified portfolios of various Alt coins, with Bitcoin considered to be the low risk Core holding of their portfolio. One of my mates is talking about taking out a line of credit against his house to load up on Ethereum.

Epic, epic bubble in my opinion. You can't have price moving from $10 to $250 in 12 months without a serious reversal, regardless of the commodity/asset. Once there's a bit of a correction there will be a huge rush for the exits.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Klogg likes this.
  5. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Yeah you guys are right. I'm going to give up throwing blocks of cash at strippers.

Less risk involved accumulating TLS. I can always look forward to lashing out and going out for dinner when they issue their $1.50 dividend twice a year - whooo hooo.

Besides I don't really have the ticker for all this new fangled crypto stuff.

Ain't that right pops?

Teknofobe likes this.
  6. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Should be neither on the front page. I do proof readings $20 per 1000 words.

Crypto markets never sleep … and either do Aussie Crypto Traders!

LifeChoices likes this.
  7. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Untitled_spreadsheet_-_Google_Sheets.jpg

This is how your portfolio would look if you invested $100 in the top 10 cryptos on 1 Jan 2017. It would actually be more as I didn't include bitcoin cash and bitcoin gold which you got free.

I was so impressed with this little chart I did the same thing on Dec 1. One of my purchases was IOTA - it has gone up 273% in 5 days - that's right two hundred and seventy three percent.

bitcoin-adoption-1392x749.jpg

source: https://www.aussiecrytpotrader.com/

Wyatt likes this.
  8. skyQuake

skyQuake

Bitcoin futs start trading at 10am Syd time.

CanOz likes this.
  9. galumay

galumay learner

I doubt it will bring any investors, but plenty of speculators will pile in, the FOMO is palatable, cryptos are being talked about by taxi drivers, there are threads on forums about parenting, facebook community noticeboards.... cryptos "are different", they "are game changers", anyone who isnt in is "old and out of touch", "its going to go a lot higher", "you cant lose"

I cant remember the last time I saw all the signs of imminent collapse and ruin all so strongly represented and aligned. Until it doesnt, it will.

CanOz likes this.
  10. skyQuake

skyQuake

Binance just closed new user regos. This follow Bittrex, CEX and others.
    Demand is overcoming supply!

notting likes this.
  11. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

methinks there is an "i" too many in the name. It's rather a bit of a Bit-Con

explod likes this.
  12. matty77

matty77

ANY coin that promises to pay you a certain % back on a daily basis I advise you to run from, there are a few new ones out being spruked by the same people that were involved in bitconnect, paying !% daily, or 2% daily etc, get your money back within 200 days if you invest over $10k

DYOR as there are lots of dodgy ICO's going on at the moment.

explod likes this.
  13. Logique

Logique Investor

I'm getting seriously spam emailed about crypto currency platforms

explod likes this.
  14. Joules MM1

Joules MM1 ....everything has an art

and then

Modest likes this.
  15. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

Super paranoid about privacy but he also loves the attention. I must admit to following his antics though. As crazy as he may be, he's a successful guy who has lived life on his own terms and done it in an interesting and original way. The world needs the John McAfee's to add some colour to the palette.

The world would be a very boring place if it was filled with accountants and lawyers (not that I have anything against accountants and lawyers ;))

Wyatt likes this.
  16. satanoperca

satanoperca

Ouch, all of them.

kid hustlr likes this.
  17. Klogg

Klogg

Addressing the most important point first - audited by whom? Do you truly know that the code does not allow for the creator/implementer to create additional coin at will? It takes some serious auditing to know that.

The way I see it - cryptocurrency currently offers things that standard currency cannot, specifically in the realm of smart contracts. However, there's still a LOT of work before this can be truly useful to the mainstream:
    - Wallets (a mechanism to hold your private key) are not that easily maintained and can be lost
    - Transaction privacy is not entirely there. Bitcoin doesn't encrypt the ledger, so anyone can see all the transactions made by one alias. A few new cryptocurrencies have started addressing this
    - Price stability. I wouldn't dare touch bitcoin or ethereum at this point, the price moves too much for me to be able to purchase anything with certainty.

As for short term... there's a nice bubble forming in this area. The number of ICO's (initial coin offerings) is getting big, and some of them just take the BitCoin open source and make very slight modifications. Very dangerous space at the moment.

Longer term, the very interesting part is the distributed ledger/database. Any security concerns around data are removed, as there are many copies as the blockchain is built upon. There are already swarms of teams looking at this, so if you want to join in, I'm sure you can find a vacancy somewhere.

18. cryptoman

cryptoman

Audited by: Iain 'Jonny Bravo' Craig
    A well known auditor.