Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Crazy man hypothesis

Reactions
There is a crazy man on the street holding a powerful rifle. We don't know how far or if that rifle can shoot, but the man has threatened to shoot. Would you

a. Move yourself out of line of fire (stay out of trouble)
b. Call the police (find someone else to solve the problem)
c. Try negotiate with the crazy man (resolve the situation diplomatically)
d. Shoot the crazy man first (preemptive strike)
e. Bravely stand in front of potential line of fire and threaten to fine the crazy man if he doesn't put down his weapon (???)

Reactions
If I had a gun I would go for d.

If you tried to run he could still shoot you and if he was crazy he would be unlikely to let you call the police.

Negotiation doesn't usually work with crazies.

Reactions
1) who is Australia has a gun? Not realistic....
2) Police will obviously be called
3) Attack with an advantage, attacking with a melee attack in open sight is stupid

or

hide/run

Negotiation will probably not work with a crazy man

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
Couldn't tell until put in the situation

There are many factors the gun is one of them
The person with gun is another
The situation one more
Who else is around yet more still
What skills you have

You may not have a choice.
You'll be surprised how auto pilot
Kicks in.
You'll fight or Flee.Depends on who you are!
And the situation.

Reactions
Obviously we're talking about Jong Un. Just go slowly, I guess. And hope he cools off. Can't be proactive in such situations.

Reactions
Interesting scenario but not on the money as far as North Korea goes.

Clearly one crazy man with a single gun could be handled safely from afar. But N Korea has nuclear capacity and a conventional army that would trash Seoul in a couple of hours. This takes far more finesse than just proposing some type of surgical strike.

Reactions
Interesting scenario but not on the money as far as North Korea goes.

Clearly one crazy man with a single gun could be handled safely from afar. But N Korea has nuclear capacity and a conventional army that would trash Seoul in a couple of hours. This takes far more finesse than just proposing some type of surgical strike.
The only way to deal with a crazy is to put him away, one way or another.

Reactions
One wonders if Kim's bluster is based on a false perception of his military prowess. When close allies of him (including their families) are executed on a whim based on perceived disloyalty or because they might have failed in the perfect execution of some task, it is quite possible that the information he is being fed by his subordinates is aligned to what he wants to hear rather than the truth.

That in itself is a huge danger as it could lead him to make decisions that may have enormous consequences.

Reactions
One wonders if Kim's bluster is based on a false perception of his military prowess. When close allies of him (including their families) are executed on a whim based on perceived disloyalty or because they might have failed in the perfect execution of some task, it is quite possible that the information he is being fed by his subordinates is aligned to what he wants to hear rather than the truth.

That in itself is a huge danger as it could lead him to make decisions that may have enormous consequences.
That and the fact that he is barking mad. :rolleyes:

Reactions
it is quite possible that the information he is being fed by his subordinates is aligned to what he wants to hear rather than the truth.
Very possible and I'd expect the same to be happening in the US with Trump.

I'm basing this only on personal experience, but if you've got a narcissistic bully in a position of power (been there with that one years ago) then telling the truth is a sure fire way to make yourself a target (yep, I made that mistake at the time). Once a few have done that, anyone else with any sense will realise that telling them what they want to hear is the only sensible option even if it's absolute nonsense.

Once it comes to that point the rest is inevitable. Sooner or later the only person allowed to think makes a blunder and even though everyone else spots it, nobody's going to say a word.

Arrogance precedes a downfall and in this case we've got arrogant leaders in both NK and the US very clearly.

Reactions
You don't have to look as far as US or NK, to find political bullies, our Parliament is full of them.

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
In this case

There is only one solution.
That is negotiation,to de escalation.

Posturing and positioning will always be
Involved.

All involved are doing that right now.
We've seen it from NK
USA and I'm sure China.