• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Cr@p parents raising spoilt brats

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirRumpole, Aug 23, 2014.

1. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Found this interesting tit bit on ABC news:

I wonder if the paranoia and political correctness about not smacking children is contributing to this ?

Crap' Australian parents raising a generation of spoilt brats by not setting boundaries, psychologist warns

2. sptrawler

sptrawler

Re: Cr@p parents raisiing spoilt brats

I don't think spoilt brats is confined to the children, it is very hard for parents to say 'no' to children, when they can't say no to themselves.:D

3. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Obviously it doesn't apply to all parents. I still see families with polite, respectful kids whose parents have made it clear to them that they are their parents, not their friends. Therefore they set the rules.

But yes there are plenty of the type Mr Carr-Gregg describes also. Not sure where it has come from. I do remember a mother about 15 years ago expressing her shock when her daughter, aged 6, came home from school and - when asked to put her stuff away - told her mother she didn't have to do that at all because she 'had just as many rights as any adult'. When the mother enquired as to the origin of this enlightenment she was informed it had come from the kid's teacher.

That's believable to me. After many years in a mentoring program in State schools, I saw minimal respect shown to teachers and between students. It could relate somewhat to the demographic: lots of welfare dependent single parents, some of whom do a great job but many whose preoccupation over parenting is gambling, substance abuse along with zero comprehension of the value of education.

It doesn't seem to happen nearly as much in the private schools, presumably because they are free to expel any disruptive student.

4. burglar

burglar

Amen to that SP!

5. Craton

Craton Mostly passive, contrarian.

Good to see this issue being highlighted.

Kids are great imitators AND manipulators. Parents are supposed to be responsible for their kids thus, it's not usual for me to think that some parents really need a good smack, not the kids!

6. Miss Hale

Miss Hale

I do wonder if part of it is smaller families these days. I was one of six and quite frankly we could want and ask all we liked but were nearly always told 'no' because it was neither financially possible or logistically practical in a large family. We were well looked after but not spoilt in any way and had a ball growing up.