• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Commsec $600 free brokerage offer

Discussion in 'Brokers' started by Mouse, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Mouse

Mouse

Hi Peoples,

Has anyone else noticed that Commsec is offering up to $600 in free brokerage for people who open a new account? There's some catches in the fine print - it's not payable on daytrades etc, but I thought it might come in handy for those who only have a little to invest.

cheers
    Mouse

2. dj_420

dj_420

Re: Commsec offer

i should open up a new account with them, that would be a handy saving!

3. llcede

llcede

can't find that free brokerage offer... :confused: please can you give a web link? thanks.

4. alankew

alankew

Go to commbank home page and it is there. When you apply you must write COMM04 (think this is correct so please check) on front of application form.

5. Mouse

Mouse

6. PhoenixXx

PhoenixXx

I received the offer from Smart Investor Jan issue.
    But that expired on Jan 31st. So now they extend it?
    Anyway, just write the promotion code (in my case it was COMM03, this one might have expired) on your declaration form. If you don't write the promotion code, your account won't include the introductional offer (ie $600 free broker fee)

7. llcede

llcede

Thanks a lot... cheers.

8. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

If its anything like the Etrade one i got with $550 free brokerage charged a $50 per trade thats 10 free trades with i think 2 months to use them before they expired, of coarse i used them all :D It got my foot in the door with minimal cost
    now they charge 32.95 What a rip :banghead: , makes you think more about the trades you make. Use them wisely.

9. greggy

greggy

I used up my ETrade offer very quickly as well. It was an extra nice feeling trading stocks for a while without having to pay any brokerage. Now its back to reality.
    DYOR

10. Fab

Fab

What about existing customers are they taken for granted and not offered anything? Did anyone enquire about it?

11. clowboy

clowboy

Re: Commsec $600 free trade offer

Well I actually applied after they announced that offer and still didnt get the free brokerage. I sent them an email about it and they replied, We can not give account specific answers via email. It is only for new clients. Query closed. Thank you.

So when a new applicant still gets jiped, good luck getting the free brokerage as an exsisting client.

12. barney

barney

City Index (Ex Green CFD) were offering a similar offer (free trading for X amount of time) to new clients ....... I am an existing customer, so sent them an email asking whether they might consider "looking after" their current clients .......... No response whatsoever ............ I now do most of my CFD trading through IG who have better rates anyway .........

13. Fab

Fab

Thanks how easy is traing with IG market? I am new to CFD and looking into it. I open an account with IG market but not activated yet. My account is without automatic stop loss.

14. barney

barney

No probs with IG ...... just need to put some cash in your account and the rest is straight forward. I only use regular stop losses, but keep my position sizes sensible relative to the cash on hand ...... All the info you need is on their platform pages ..... Cheers.

15. mcostalos

mcostalos

Join CommSec by 31 March 2007 and receive up to
    $600 in free brokerage*

There’s never been a better time to become a DIY share investor with CommSec. If you open a new account before 31 March 2007, you’ll receive up to $600 in free brokerage on your first 12 share trades.*

Learn More...
    Become a DIY investor Today, more Australians”  are investing in shares than ever before - and it’s easy to see why:
    The sharemarket has offered better long-term returns than most other investments.
    Unlike property, you don’t need a large deposit - and you don’t have to pay stamp duty or legal fees.
    You can usually sell shares and access your money in a few days.
    You can start investing with as little as $500, plus brokerage.
    If you’d like to start investing in shares, CommSec makes it easy to do it yourself. Our free research tools take the hard work out of finding investments. And when you’re ready to trade, you’ll enjoy outstanding customer service from the winner of the 2006 Smart Investor award for exceptional service.
    ” Australian Stock Exchange Share Ownership Study 2005.

Why choose CommSec share trading?

Don’t miss this CommSec offer. Apply Now.
    How to apply?

To be eligible you must write COMM04 in bold on the top of the form you send to CommSec.

16. Rainmaker

Rainmaker

If you are an existing customeer, couldn't you just "cancel" your account and then sign up again ?

How long did it take for COmmSec clients to get your account active from the date you sent in your application?

17. Tech_king

Tech_king

It does suck being an existing client at times!

You think they would offer us something like that from time to time.

18. jono1887

jono1887

$600 free brokerage from Commsec

has anyone new opened an account for this offer and actually received it??
    I opened an account for my mum expecting the free brokerage but apparently I was supposed to follow a specific link on their website to open the account to get the free brokerage.... if you open an account the normal way they wont give it to you, even though there is no mention of this in the terms and conditions!! :mad:

http://www.commsec.info/money/exclusive-offer.aspx

And when I called them up, they wouldnt even try to help... they just said email the dispute resolution dept and Ive waited 3 days now and still not response!! Absolutely terrible service from them and exceptionally misleading with their 'FREE' brokerage offer!!! :mad::mad:

19. shiftyphil

shiftyphil

Re: $600 free brokerage from Commsec

Working for me. Four trades so far, no brokerage charges.

The sign up link on that page includes a promo code that activates the offer.

However, none of the conditions say that using the promo code/that link is required, so you may be able to talk them into it.

20. cutz

cutz

Re: $600 free brokerage from Commsec

Sorry to hear about that jono, I’ve actually experienced pretty good customer service from them whenever i've had an issue, obviously not all requests have been fulfilled which is fair enough but in the majority of instances they have been good.

Jono why don’t you just put in a fresh application?