• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Cognitive Dissonance and Climate Change

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wayneL, May 15, 2019 at 1:47 PM.

1. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

So once again I got lectured on action on climate change from a totally *expected quarter, that is the affluent middle class.

I was doing for work for them as they arrived home in their amg Merc, after having driven 20 km to go for a jog. They live in about a 400 square metre home in the outer Brisbane suburbs, drive to work every day, drive their children to and from *twice everyday to a well regarded private school which is probably about 45 km away.

Obviously they have horses; 3 in fact of which are floated to equestrian events on the weekend.

They have reverse cycle air conditioning and their power bill is approaching $1,000 a quarter...

And the most important issue to them for this election is climate change.

Being a client of mine and looking after my own Mercantile interests I was forced to p1ss in their pocket regarding the issue, all the while thinking to myself what god damn hypocrites.

Her dad could not fathom how our power bill was only $180 a quarter despite not having any solar, and could not understand my point about plastic packaging and other forms of general pollution.

I face this sort of cognitive dissonance at least three times a week with my clients, I'm there to do a job and get paid so I really have any sort of discussion with them about this, but I just find it fascinating that these people won't government action yet I'm not prepared to take any sort of action themselves.

Miss Hale, cynic and Sdajii like this.
  2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

It's bad news for the Libs if their natural constituents are talking about climate change.

Macquack likes this.
  3. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

To be honest, its been all over the shop. The Red Tories are talking about it, blue collar Labor generally think it's BS... And everything in between. It's been quite hard to get a tag on it.

4. basilio

basilio

I can hear what your saying Wayne.. Perhaps you could have asked/suggested that they might be interested in trading in their Merc for a Tesla and set up a 10kw solar panel system to kill their power bills and power their electric limo ?

Or maybe pack it all in and live in a cave ?

Struzball likes this.