• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ann, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann

This is an article from a very depressed young lady Carly Cassella who lives with Chronic Fatigue. Chronic Fatigue can make people seek out depressing subjects and situations to re-enforce how they are feeling. Clearly she will not be looking for any positive articles to feature from the climate papers. There is no way we can verify what she is saying as the link to the paper she is quoting won't link. (Not doubting her, just like to see how things are worded).

Before anyone has a go at me about talking about her Chronic Fatigue, I lived with it for nearly 26 years before I found the cause and flicked it. I can bring it back at will to prove the cause is actually the cause (for me). I know how she is feeling.

2. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Interesting, makes sense Ann. How she completed her science degree with it I don't know. Where's the link?

As for you, 26 years with chronic fatigue but you won in the end! What was the cause if you don't mind?

explod likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann

It is amazing what you can do, I brought up two children with severe Chronic Fatigue, it made them very self sufficient.

Which link Knobby? To the article she quoted or a link in my comments about her having Chronic fatigue. I answered the later in a post or two back.

1. Got rid of Gluten, that helped a little.
    2. Discovered I had un-diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis in my spine. (I lived with enormous pain along with the fatigue).
    Many years prior I had cured a family member of chronic Rheumatoid arthritis in the hands which were swollen, weak and painful by watching when the fingers became inflamed. It always related to high vitamin C foods which caused a flare up in seconds after ingestion. When the high vitamin C foods were removed, the fingers stopped becoming inflamed and slowly the swollen joints have virtually recovered. After nearly 25 years off the RA exacerbating foods the fingers are almost without distortion. There is no weakness or pain any longer.
    3. After the diagnosis of RA in my spine I took myself off all those same high vitamin C foods as well. After one week I was fine after 26 wasted years.
    4. The final boost to my energy levels came about four years ago when I took myself off all starches. No GF breads or rice or potatoes. On a low carb high fat diet now and I have the energy and positive mental attitude of someone decades younger.

A quick list of high vitamin C foods we can't eat:-
    Chocolate, tinned fruit, jam, anything tinned or jarred or packaged with citric acid in it.
    broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, green tea. Also no fruit except bananas other than freshly stewed fruit.
    All meat is fine.

Value Hunter, Knobby22 and explod like this.
  4. Ann

Ann

Thanks to Joe for moving the above posts from one of the CC threads and starting this thread off for me. I have had a life blessed with people helping me.

Yes it is an important subject it is a life experience. I would like to take you on a journey which lasted for 26 years of my life. It may help someone. If I can help a single person, those 26 years won't have been wasted.

Watch this space.....

qldfrog and cynic like this.
  5. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

I know people that feel the onset at around 5 or 6 a.m. every day during the week. :D

6. Ann

Ann

Yes, that is called poor career choice. It is not to be ignored, it is the body warning you, your choices are wrong and the longer you stay doing this the closer you will be to depression and potentially a marriage failure, dysfunction or even suicide. This is a condition not to be ignored.
    Chronic Fatigue is when you wake up feeling motivated and you just can't swing your legs out of bed.

cynic likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann

This is a disease which for some reason hits the highly motivated and smashes us. It is seen as a cruel disease because the people who get it are the people who least want to be forced to lie around and do nothing. We want to get stuff done, we want to contribute, we want to work, we want to achieve. We have massive energy which is stolen from us.

cynic and Knobby22 like this.
  8. Ann

Ann

In 1984 I gave birth to my son. It wasn't the easiest of births, he decided he wanted to stay where he was and the poor gynie had to get some forceps in there and drag him out. I was watching all this in a kind of detached way thinking, this kid is not going to give up his cosy corner easily as the gynie got his legs either side and started to drag the kid out. All of a sudden there was this kind of phooot feeling as the kid was dragged loose. Geez the relief was palpable!

Still with me folks? :D

Knobby22 likes this.
  9. cynic

cynic

10. Ann

Ann

Well that will be a wasted $3 million Cynic. There are too many sacred cows which would have to be slaughtered for any possible solution to the question.

After my son was born I felt extra tired. This did not alert me that anything could be wrong as I had just given birth to a new baby, had only my husband to help me with no extended family or friends able to assist me. Tired and exhausted is how I expected to feel. Looking at the photos of me then I looked exhausted. Twenty months later I gave birth to a girl, she was in such a rush to get born she broke the neck of the placenta on her rush to get out and left me with the placenta still inside and bleeding to death.

They rushed to get an anesthetist and have an operation to get the placenta out of me which was a bit of a problem as it was a public holiday.

From that time on the exhaustion was unbelievable. I sat in the kitchen for 13 months crying. I could barely function, the children got minimal care as I could barely move. I went to the doctor told her how I was feeling and she suggested I join a gym! :eek:
    I thanked her very much and went home. I was trapped in my body with two babies to care for and no way of doing it other than sheer will power. Every day, every minute was a challenge of survival. During that time I contemplated suicide/infanticide a number of times. Clearly I couldn't tell anyone about my feelings, my children would have been taken away from me.

qldfrog likes this.
  11. cynic

cynic

Sadly, you are very probably correct. Amongst the sacred cows in dire need of slaughter is GET(Graded Exercise Therapy) - a true marvel of modern wisdom, all but guaranteed to exacerbate the severity of one's condition, also the highly popularised CBT(Cognitive Behaviour Therapy), whenever misconstrued as holding therapeutic benefit for those suffering ME/CFS, it tends to prove more problematic than curative.

An excerpt, taken from one of my earlier posts, to the depression thread:

qldfrog and satanoperca like this.
  12. satanoperca

satanoperca

Hi Ann,

Interesting topic. I do not have much knowledge of GFS, but I am interested in learning, so can you help me understand more and some of the language you used?

It is an illness, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the wrong terminology, as mentioned by yourself, it was FOOD intake that seemed to be the issue.

I find it quite ironic that the medical profession is only now starting to look at the effects of what we eat on the human body. Why has not more research been done, well the big pharms cannot benefit.

I am a strong believer in looking at food intake to be the cause of effects that people do not want. I will explain further

Everyone's bodies tolerance to the chemicals, proteins, vitamins etc is different and effect us in different ways. So people can drink 5 cups of coffee a day without effect, other have one and it effects them.
    In your case it was High vitamin C intake.

My partner suffers from asthma with several severe attacks every week, did take preventative medication, bad stuff, steroids. So a little research looking for a more natural preventative medicine, nothing to loose. Apple Cidar vinegar, small amount every day. She consulted her doctor about it, he said it was a waste of time, I said to her she had nothing to loose. End result after taking it for a month, no more asthma.

My sister had chronic period pain, again did some research and tried to understand the cause and look for a natural remedy, again nothing to loose. She was lacking enough iron in her body during this period, so got her to increase dark green vegetable intake one week before period due, end result after 15 years of period pain, no period pain. Simple remedy.

For myself, I understand the importance of food, but do not always follow my own medicine.
    For my body and mind to work together, I need to keep my food intake to mainly alkaline foods. If I follow a strict diet, 80% of my food intake is alkaline, then I have boundless energy, my creativity goes off the scale and my concentration levels are at 100% and anxiety is none existant.

So what does that mean, no sugar, no alcohol (or very little), no smoking, limited intake of bread, diary. Basically fruit, vegetables, some meat, fish and lots of different type of nuts. Very little processed foods

So over the last 20 years I have noticed the following :
    As I move away from this diet/food intake, my anxiety grows, level of concentration drops, level of general happiness decreases, willingness to exercise and go yoga diminishes, and I then tend to gravite to alcohol and bad foods (namely sugars and processed foods) This process keeps cycling through until I hit rock bottom and then I go through the process of getting diet back on track, which in turn motivates me to exercise, when then results in an increase in happiness.

Now when am at the bottom of the cycle and go and address my issues with a doctor, they will inevitable direct me towards medication, which only masks the issue, the fuel I consume to feed my body and mind is out of sync and needs to be improved.

So Ann, while you mentioned illness and I do not have a better word for what you described, I do not believe it is an illness, but rather a disorder that can be repaired through diet.

Another example is my niece, who was diagnosed with ADHD, put on some harsh medication, which did help, but was not the solution. Convinced her parents to look for alternatives and answers. So they removed her from the medication and put her on a tough diet of elimination of food types. Sort of sucked for her being only 7 at the time. But over the course of several months, there determined that it was a group of preservatives used in many processed foods that was causing the issue. After several months of removing all intake of nearly all preservatives, I asked them to do a test, to verify the results. Feed her preservatives and monitor her behaviour, the so call ADHD was back within a week, she became uncontrollable at home and in school. Remove the preservatives and within several days, she was back to a sweet little girl. Move forward nearly 2 decades and she is very happy and successful and very much aware of the food she intakes.

barney, Value Hunter and willy1111 like this.
  13. satanoperca

satanoperca

Hi Cynic, always find it interesting all these therapies that will help cure or control illnesses and disorders, while they may be of some benefit I, as I stated above believe the first action should be diet.

Put a person on a diet of fruit, nuts, vegetables, some meats and no process foods for say 3 months and then see if the disorder/illness is still at the same levels as prior to the diet.

What has anyone got to loose, being more healthy with diet never caused any bad effects on their well being.

$20shoes, lindsayf and qldfrog like this.
  14. Ann

Ann

In one respect when I first got Chronic Fatigue it was after my son was born in 1984 I was lucky I didn't get pushed to these weird therapies. There was no knowledge of it and any mention a chronic fatigue was dismissed as 'malingerer's disease'.
    So I didn't get put through mountains of blood tests other than one to check my Thyroid which came back as fine. (Incorrect finding as it turns out)

cynic likes this.
  15. cynic

cynic

Yes. The typical thyroid tests are renowned for their inadequacy.

Basal temperature tests, though seemingly crude, can often prove useful in testing whether the thyroid is regulating blood temperature correctly.

16. cynic

cynic

Dietary modifications can be beneficial, but care needs to be taken in selection of the appropriate modifications. Gluten, dairy, and processeed foods, are, as you have mentioned, generally best avoided.

However, the question of whether a person needs to tailor a diet which is more alkaline, or more acidic, usually comes down to the question of which of these is required to return their body to a ph neutral condition.

Also, depending upon the disease that is giving rise to the symptoms, a high protein/low carbohydrate diet, may prove to be appropriate. Conversely for other diseases the opposite may be required.

17. Ann

Ann

What was happening to me with the high vitamin C it caused an immune response of inflammation in my spine and feet (bunion). This inflammation was translated by my doctor as rheumatoid arthritis.

Dietetics are not part of the medical training doctors receive as students other than a basic mention. Diets are left to dieticians. Sadly dieticians for many years were fed propaganda and misinformation. They were told high carb low fat and that is what has been going on since the 70s. Nutritionists such as Rosemary Stanton had enormous influence for many years and was paid by bread companies. These people were bought and paid for and we got told what big business wanted to tell us. Finally the truth is coming out but we are left with a legacy of obesity and debilitating illness.

..and also gluten and starches in general.

Wonderful result! A gluten free diet has worked for one of my family members. Anytime they have a feed of gluten on comes the asthma.

Same here and once I went off Gluten all period pains went away and now I have plenty of iron, I also didn't go through change of life discomfort. Periods just stopped without any side effects.

Doctors are simply a branch of Big Pharma. I was a medical detailer, I used to be one of the people who 'educated' them about our pharmaceuticals. I couldn't believe how gullible they were. I found what I was doing ethically unpalatable and left the industry. Do I trust doctors? Absolutely not!

It is related to a damaged immune system, that is unlikely to be repaired. One needs to identify the foods which are causing the immune reaction and remove or minimize them from the diet.

That is very interesting and wonderful news!

...and this is the problem I had for so many years. I had what one would describe as a 'healthy' diet. Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, nuts, good quality meat and fish. I rarely ate junk foods. With all of this I was sick and had chronic fatigue even on a 'good' diet. I even tried a full vegan diet at one stage for a few months, OMG did that make me worse, I could barely move out of my bed.

Until I identified the fresh vegetables and fruit which were making me sick I was stuck with fatigue.

Value Hunter, qldfrog and cynic like this.
  18. Ann

Ann

As are Gluten Intolerance tests

cynic likes this.
  19. Ann

Ann

So there I was with two babies and despairing about what was wrong with me and how I was going to survive and keep going. One day I went to visit my ex next door neighbors were I grew up. They had a daughter who was a few years younger than me and was a doctor. As it happened she was visiting her parents that day as well. In the course of conversation she just asked casually how was life going with two babies in tow. Normally I would have told people it is great and smile happily. For whatever reason I told her like it really was, not about the suicide bit of course, you are the first people to hear about that.

She looked very concerned and said she thought I had post natal depression. I had never heard of it before, no idea what it was. My daughter was 13 months old before I got this news. It was like a weight off my shoulders once I could put a name to the problem.

I went to the library and looked up all I could find out about this new revelation. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was with this simple diagnosis.

20. Ann

Ann

Now I knew what was wrong with me I had a name of post natal depression, I knew it was just a matter of time, getting over the births and the tiredness of being the solitary carer for the children (husband not great caring for kids, much like getting a puppy for Christmas). A few months would see me good again I thought. Months turned into years, years turned into decades.
    I studied books about health, nutrition, natural healing the doctors had no idea, they tested for Thyroid and iron but their knowledge was next to nothing, not much better these days either . I maintained a really healthy diet, of fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables, meat and fish, wholemeal bread plus taking vitamin supplements. Didn't help. There was no improvement at all.

After about eight years of chronic fatigue I decided to become vegan and kept to a strictly vegan diet for a number of months in an effort to 'clean' my body out as a few of the health books had suggested. Slowly I became sicker and sicker, the pain all though my body became unbearable. I was so weak I could barely move. I was afraid to go for a walk as all of a sudden all my energy would leave me and I was unable to take another step. I was trapped where I was. Fortunately I was with my husband on these occasions and he went home and got the car. I wasn't able to talk to people as any conversations made me utterly exhausted. Once I stopped the vegan diet, I got back to feeling my ordinary plain damn awful self with the normal level of body pain. At least I knew veganism was not the answer but it did confirm it was food that could make me feel so unbearably dreadful or slightly less dreadful. The question was, which foods were causing the problem? At least I knew meat was OK as I hadn't had any of that for a few months.

Knowing what I know now, I can see there will be a massive worldwide epidemic of Chronic Fatigue with this spreading fashion of veganism. Chronic Fatigue has triggers, it could be catching a bad 'flu, or Epstein Barr virus in my case it was childbirth. Once the immune system has been triggered it will become sensitive to an enormous amount of foods, mostly fruits some vegetable and certainly gluten. Up until someone has a compromised immune system, they probably won't experience any ill effects from eating a vegan diet, probably vastly superior than a fast food diet.

Now that I had it confirmed food could make me feel better or worse, I found a 'reputable' doctor who specialized in food allergies. For the first week I could only eat brown rice and nothing else. The improvement was huge. The next thing he did was to give me what are known as 'stress tests'. This is withdrawing from certain foods for a week and then having a big feed. Wheat nearly killed me. I all but passed out after I had the big feed of bread after a week's abstinence. Molds were tested, gas was tested. Then one day after these tests I woke up and it felt like I had the DTs. I could see things crawling up the wall, I saw visions, I heard voices. It was a full on psychotic attack. It went on for a couple of days, frightening my family dreadfully. In the end I got committed. Neither I nor my husband connected the food testing with the psychosis. I was fine after a week of rest. It all subsided but it was a battle to get me out of the hospital because it wasn't a voluntary committal. The allergy doctor said, "Oh yes I thought I had mentioned some people can get psychosis with allergy testing". Good to know doctor. I didn't go back.

Not only did I have Chronic Fatigue but now I had occasional recurring bouts of psychosis, YAY!