Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

China's Greatest Threat - Pollution

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reaction score
I thought i would start this thread to post up some articles of how polluted the air, water, soil is here in China. No wonder all that can afford it, are buying land overseas.

Last night was Lunar New Year. In what was already a smoggy day, the local tradition of lighting massive amounts of fireworks has completed polluted nearly an entire country...

In these three App Snaps of my Air Quality Index App, you can see how the air quality worsened as the evening progressed into the next day. The higher the reading the worse the air quality, the higher the reading the darker the tag. We're the blue dot...the actual time the shot was taken is center top....Shanghai time. There are three main time frames for fireworks, after dinner, at midnight, 5 or 6 am the next day.

This is an easy fix, ban fireworks....unfortunately that would mean someone would need to enforce the new law. Enforcement doesn't work very well here for the simple reasons:

1.) You never know who that person is you are trying to charge with an offense

2.) Everyone has a price

Sad, but this country is doomed. If its not a massive property bubble implosion, then it will be a long painful death from starvation, malnutrition, respiratory problems....and Cancer.

Attachments

skc

Goldmember
Reaction score
In these three App Snaps of my Air Quality Index App, you can see how the air quality worsened as the evening progressed into the next day. The higher the reading the worse the air quality, the higher the reading the darker the tag. We're the blue dot...the actual time the shot was taken is center top....Shanghai time. There are three main time frames for fireworks, after dinner, at midnight, 5 or 6 am the next day.
For reference any ideas what the index value would be for a typical day in an Australian city?

CanOz

Reaction score
For reference any ideas what the index value would be for a typical day in an Australian city?
20-30 i would guess. Given my limited experience here with fine days...:D

Reaction score
Silting of rivers due to dams, over use of ground water, pollution of many aquifers in rural areas, desertification as bad as Australia, along with toxic chemicals on some of the still arable land and it's not a pretty picture.

They've mortgaged the future for GDP and it's going to cripple them when the bill comes due in the next 10 years.

After seeing what the air is like in Beijing and Shanghai, living there must take years of your expected life. I remember my eyes were stinging all the time. Went through a lot of eye drops.

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reaction score
Biggest threat to China..... fresh water. By 2030 it's projected to be unsustainable.

If an aggressor destroyed the Yangtze flow and the associated aquaducts augmenting it, 42% of the population and industry would be kaput.

CanOz

Reaction score
There's water in the Yangtze? I thought it was plastics...

Reaction score
Biggest threat to China..... fresh water. By 2030 it's projected to be unsustainable.

If an aggressor destroyed the Yangtze flow and the associated aquaducts augmenting it, 42% of the population and industry would be kaput.
I think the comrades realised that, hence all those water projects. Diverting moonsoon-fed water from the south to the north; diverting water from the Himalayas, choking down stream neighbours and vassals like Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.

Most any country will go kaput too if their water are destroyed. The problem with countries like China is that if the aggressor does it, they'll lop a few right back.

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reaction score
I think the comrades realised that, hence all those water projects. Diverting moonsoon-fed water from the south to the north; diverting water from the Himalayas, choking down stream neighbours and vassals like Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.

Most any country will go kaput too if their water are destroyed. The problem with countries like China is that if the aggressor does it, they'll lop a few right back.
The weakness is that it's pumped hydro.

Reaction score
The weakness is that it's pumped hydro.
Combo of pumped and gravity isn't it?

Judging by the news headlines I scanned over the years, it seem that China is pretty much the only country since the GFC that's doing any serious kind of Keynesian economic stimulus.

Australia under Rudd tried and it did helped, then we got Abbott to put a stop to that kind of nonsense. Lucky a few major roads and infrastructure got under way, but yea... nothing to write home about. But then I supposed housing who one can afford is some kind of stimulus... the kind you get drunk on then crashed but it was good while it lasted.

Europe can't do anything without asking the Troika for permission. And it's always a laugh followed by a no no. Italy has an average of a bridge collapse a month or something? Mostly small ones so I guess that's no biggie.

The US got the war machines at fully loaded but its infrastructure plans are still on the wait and see pile. No money for them, apparently.