• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

China moving away from the USD? End of US Dollar?

Discussion in 'International Markets' started by Dowdy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dowdy

Dowdy

I got this email from one of my suppliers clearly stating their concerns about the weak US dollar....also showing their interest in trading in other currencies.

If this trend continues to other companies then it means two things...

1. The idea that a high AUD/USD will mean cheaper goods is absolutely false
    2. The eventual end of the USD

2. Whiskers

Whiskers It's a small world

Quite true.

I've heard where China has been disposing of USD's for awhile and accumulating/trading in others especially the Euro... not to mention accumulating precious metals.

I've been expecting the USD to have a bit of a resurgance for some time... but maybe the factor that I tend to forget, the different tax/accounting years, especially China, Japan and the US may be a reason.

I think the recent USD weakness has been excessively 'manipulated' for domestic US economic and political reasons, but as I have previously explained in other threads, it will hurt them via dearer imports if they keep it up for too long.

Maybe the end of the calender year and accounting/tax period will mark a significant change.

But as you correctly point out, with the USD being less of an international curency, there are some interesting revaluations coming ahead.

3. tothemax6

tothemax6

Moving away into what? Euro? Pound?
    These have just as much chance of sinking in value. How much gold can china really buy? They would have to bid the price of it through the sky to discharge any significant amount of their USD.

China's problem is that they won't become free market enough, and are following the course of mercantilism and currency-pegging, in spite of all the historical proof of its damaging effects. Maybe when they get their blowout and crash from the inflation & bubble that results from their policies, will they then do things properly.

4. doctorj

doctorj Hatchet Moderator

This is exactly the issue. Whilst we've seen some governments diversify their reserves partially away from the USD (Russia began allocating a small percentage to AUD about a year ago), USD is still the dominant currency in reserves and trade. What could replace it? There are only a handful of currencies that are worth talking about in this sense - EUR, GBP, Yen. In the EU, Euro is obviously dominant and the countries along the eastern border increasingly use EUR (even Russia which historically has used USD as hard currency internally has begun using EUR to some extent). But in countries without a natural exposure in EUR because of their geography, EUR makes less sense because of the lack of fiscal union between the issuing countries. Yen may be an option, but given the currency is heavily managed, it's difficult. GBP has some merits, but has been particularly volatile in the last 3 years. USD get it by default...