Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Charging for online access to The Australian

Reactions
What do ASFers think of this?

Obviously the printed media is under threat from the internet, but is charging for on-line access to their content the solution?

Not for me. At the moment there are plenty of good, free on-line news sources so I'll stop visiting The Australian site now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Logique

Investor
Reactions
Re: Charging for on-line access to The Australian

When they started charging for the AFR online, I stopped reading it. The same will happen with the Aus. I think it's out of step with the times to charge for online news access.

A free kick to those who consider the editorial policy is too far Right.

Reactions

I wonder how long it will be $2.95 per week.

There's also a free 3-month trial, but an email address has to be provided. The question that comes to my mind, is, is it worth the spam ?

I didn't look deep enough to see if credit card details are also required for automatic extension onto a paid subscription service once the 3-month free period is up.

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
It does cost a fair bit to run a newspaper and it feels wrong not to charge for some of the content.

I do read the Australian and have been reading online for free for the last few years.

To me the main thing is to find the right price point.

$3/wk isn't too expensive, but I would like to see a some discount for those who pay upfront and sign up for 12-18 months.

The other thing they can try is to do pay-per-article.... I don't use them for anything other than business news so it makes sense for me not wanting to pay for the editorial costs in sports, fashion, art etc.

Reactions
Fail.

It wont work.

Plus I find most of the news sites pretty poor quality stories to be honest.

If I was guaranteed video and lots of photos and actual articles that are interesting then I would consider it. But why would I pay for something that I can get for free from another 100 other different places?

Reactions
It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on this. I for one like reading The Australian but I won't be reading it online if I have to pay for it. I would rather go and buy the printed copy as I find it far more enjoyable reading that the the online site.

Reactions
Dont say I like the quality of most online news articles. Not sure how charging for the online services will pan out.
The providers have to do it either of the following ways in my opinion
  • they pisorf the advertising and have news and photos etc only - webuser pays or
  • provide the news for free and they keep the advertising as their means of funding.
Not both. If they have both - I am not interested.

I dont use The Australian presently.

Reactions
What do ASFers think of this?

Obviously the printed media is under threat from the internet, but is charging for on-line access to their content the solution?

Not for me. At the moment there are plenty of good, free on-line news sources so I'll stop visiting The Australian site now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I agree 100%. I have subscribed to their 3 month free trial, but will not continue with it as soon as it becomes chargeable. Although I read the oz daily (for free at my local cafe), it provides nothing compelling that I would want to pay a subscription for. If some of their writers do offer some words of wisdom, I am sure the relevant bits will be quoted here or on other forums.

ghotib

THIMKER
Reactions

I wonder how long it will be $2.95 per week.

There's also a free 3-month trial, but an email address has to be provided. The question that comes to my mind, is, is it worth the spam ?

I didn't look deep enough to see if credit card details are also required for automatic extension onto a paid subscription service once the 3-month free period is up.
Don't know about the payment details, but if you want the free trial you can always set up a single purpose email account on one of the free services such as hotmail gmail etc.. If you find the account is abused you can just stop looking at it, even if you don't actually close it down.

I'm thinking about subscribing to the AFR. Been thinking about it for a couple of years now. Might do it... one day. If I remember.

Ghoti