• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

CGT finding cost base issue

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Granny Marge, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Granny Marge

Granny Marge

As a result of dementia my elderly mother has not kept good records and I am desperately trying to locate a cost base price for a capital repayment she received last financial year for Investa Office Fund. I have a Computershare issuer holding statement showing original purchase was stapled securities 06/01/2000 Armstrong Jones Office Group.
    I would be very grateful for any advice.

2. rnr

rnr

3. Granny Marge

Granny Marge

Thank you for responding. I have tried this unsuccessfully- seems the problem is the relevant company of the original purchase has changed names over the investment period. I think the cost base price would be from when it was known as Armstrong Jones Office Group. I would be relieved to get any further suggestions of possible solutions.

4. rnr

rnr

Armstrong Jones Office Group was unfortunately delisted from quotation on the ASX with the last day of trading being Dec,22 1999. The last closing price on that date was $1.79 which unfortunately doesn't solve your problem. Old bank statements or a cheque book maybe of some help in identifying a likely transaction to try and hunt down some answers.

deListed Australia is an excellent site and may be able to provide some assistance.

deListedAustralia re ASF 2019-09-25.png

5. craft

craft

Investa has had a few name changes, Armstrong was the first, then ING Office and finally Investa but its all still same company since 5/1/2000.
    upload_2019-9-25_18-8-24.png
    Un-adjusted prices.
    upload_2019-9-25_18-12-22.png

Adjusted Prices (1 for 4 consolidation in 2012 plus a few other adjustments over the years).

upload_2019-9-25_18-10-27.png

If I couldn't calculate adjusted cost base from source documents in your sort of situation, I would adopt the closing adjusted price above. I suspect the share registry could confirm and document the above prices for you. With that documentation in place, if in the unlikely situation that the ATO has better information and wants to correct you, I suspect they would do so without issuing a penalty as you have made best attempt estimate under the circumstances.

That’s just what I would do as a complete amateur.

Knobby22, qldfrog, myrtie100 and 2 others like this.
  6. sptrawler

sptrawler

Armstrong Jones, jeez that brings back some memories, the old property trust days.:eek:

7. Granny Marge

Granny Marge

Thank you all so much for ‘investing’ your time on my problem I think I will be able to now work out a cost base and also feel confident it is as accurate as possible for this situation. I have felt very out of my depth with this and really appreciate the support offered.

Jack Aubrey likes this.