Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CC balance transfer on mortgage?

Reactions
Just wondering if there is any way of doing an interest free balance transfer on at least part of your outstanding mortgage amount?

I know the interest free period is limited, but I was thinking perhaps once you got an amount onto a credit card, then you could transfer it to the next interest free credit card when the period expires. The problem is getting the mortgage amount onto the credit card in the first place.

Anyone think this would be possible?

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
Just wondering if there is any way of doing an interest free balance transfer on at least part of your outstanding mortgage amount?

I know the interest free period is limited, but I was thinking perhaps once you got an amount onto a credit card, then you could transfer it to the next interest free credit card when the period expires. The problem is getting the mortgage amount onto the credit card in the first place.

Anyone think this would be possible?
1. Cash advance on existing credit card A.
2. Put cash in mortgage account.
3. Transfer credit card A balance to new interest free credit card B.

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions
Very tempting.

Reactions
But I am pretty sure the transaction costs of the cash advance would be greater than any savings in interest?

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
But I am pretty sure the transaction costs of the cash advance would be greater than any savings in interest?
What transaction cost?

Yes there is interest charge on the cash advance immediately so you need to have your credit card B ready close to approval. Time it well to minimize the interest.

Say you are charged 18% on cash advance for 2 weeks but you save 7% for 6 months. Do the sums to decide whether it is worth your while or not.

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
Everytime you do a cash advance, a % of the amount you withdrawn is charged as a fee.
Never used cash advance in my life so wouldn't know any better.

If there's a one-off fee then you might need to keep rolling credit card B to new interest-free credit card C to make it worthwhile.

Reactions
no need to get cash advance on card A, just do all your spending on it, then instead of paying it off , use the funds to pay down mortgage instead. Then bal transfer from card A to card B. repeat as neccessary

Reactions
no need to get cash advance on card A, just do all your spending on it, then instead of paying it off , use the funds to pay down mortgage instead. Then bal transfer from card A to card B. repeat as neccessary
And hope you are in control of your spending so you don't end up paying $1000 of your mortgage and then spend $1100 on your card thinking you've got it all worked out.

Reactions
A few years ago I could have advised the perfect solution to your problem. Back in 2009/2010 I was able to regularly transfer monies from my credit card into my savings account via one of my CFD broker accounts. The credit side of the transaction was treated as a purchase by my card provider. I earnt quite a few awards points whilst at the same time annoying the heck out of my CFD broker (whom promptly changed their policy on credit card funding arrangements and started applying a fee to recover the relevant merchant charges). Anyway, it was fun whilst it lasted.

You could always shop around and see if there are any other "generous" brokers out there.

Tysonboss, it may surprise you to learn that not all c/card users are financially illiterate morons. Some are extremely disciplined and know how to avail themselves of every recognisable opportunity to save additional money (a mindset that I've observed in several multi-millionaires with whom I have been acquainted over the years).

Reactions
That would work for a small amount I guess. But I am thinking of an amount around $5,000-$10,000. The difficult thing, then, with your strategy would be that I would need to spend $5,000 within the 55 day interest free period.

A few years ago I could have advised the perfect solution to your problem. Back in 2009/2010 I was able to regularly transfer monies from my credit card into my savings account via one of my CFD broker accounts. The credit side of the transaction was treated as a purchase by my card provider. I earnt quite a few awards points whilst at the same time annoying the heck out of my CFD broker (whom promptly changed their policy on credit card funding arrangements and started applying a fee to recover the relevant merchant charges). Anyway, it was fun whilst it lasted.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I got an idea as I was walking home tonight. What if I have a balance of $1,000 on credit card A. I obtain credit card B and do a balance transfer of $5,000. Bank B writes a cheque of $5,000 to bank A, so now my bank A credit card balance is a debit of $4,000.

I go to bank A to withdraw my $4,000 - now I have an interest free loan of $4,000, avoiding all the transaction fees and immediate accruing interest!

Have I overlooked something, or would that actually work? I know there is a NSW criminal offence of "obtain benefit by deception", so I am now sure if this would be legal (because theoretically you are telling bank B you have a credit card balance of $5,000 with bank A).