• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Car serviced, belts changed, car vibration/shaking...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grah33, Apr 20, 2020.

1. grah33

grah33

i got my car serviced recently (he said he changed the belt(s)) , and the car has had a rather unpleasant shaking/ vibration for some time now. maybe about 2-3 weeks... i called him and he said he'd take a look, but now it's shaking much less, and not often so dk if i should get him to come. it may not shake in front of him. anyone think this is really bad? what could it be?

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

What sort of car ?

What belts did he change ? CVT drive belts, cam belts, radiator ?

sptrawler likes this.
  3. againsthegrain

againsthegrain

It could be many things from cv joints to wheel balance.

Under what condition does it shake? driving, standing still?

If its from some belt change perhaps power steering or hopefully not a mis aligned timing belt

sptrawler likes this.
  4. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If it's on and off at random times it sounds like an electrical problem.

Also check for dirty injectors or connection therefore, faulty temperature sensor, ignition coil(S).

Crank angle sensor is usually near a belt so maybe an issue there with a dirty connection

Tell us more about the shaking (is it when you accelerate, or when it's cold / hot) does it do it in drive or neutral?

sptrawler likes this.
  5. sptrawler

sptrawler

As Rumpole, against the grain and PZ99 said, it is impossible to have a guess without a lot more information.
    As has been stated, what sort of car? does it happen when driving or when stopped? under acceleration, coasting or deceleration? can you feel it through the body e.g the accelerator pedal, seat or through the steering wheel?
    Severe vibrations from belts eg fan belt or A/C belt, will usually be from overtightened belts collapsing the drive end bearing of the alternator, water p/p or A/C compressor.
    Severe vibrations through the steering wheel, can be anything from wheels out of balance to universal joint seized, it depends if it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
    Motor vibration can be a spark plug missfiring to an engine mount or gearbox mount split and a lot of things in between.
    Way too many things to cover without accurate info.:xyxthumbs

Smurf1976 and SirRumpole like this.
  6. cutz

cutz

Get your throttle body cleaned out !

7. grah33

grah33

about 10 years old, economical hyundai Getz, small car ...
    (will get back to these posts... he said he changed belts. i forgot which ones as i'm very forgetful. likely power steering is my guess. it's noticeable when car is parked, and seems to get better triggered when i put it in reverse (no driving, just shifting the gearbox).) I think i noticed the steering wheel vibrate some ...
    also, if i did nothing, could it get worse? hope not ...

8. grah33

grah33

i think the key to this is that he changed the belts. can't remember which ones, likely steering.

9. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If the vibration wasn't there before the belts were changed then it could be the harmonic balancer.

If it was shaking before then it's probably the faults listed above.

I think the key is why did the mechanic change the belts in the first place ?

Is the car manual or auto ?

sptrawler likes this.
  10. sptrawler

sptrawler

The other thing it could be, if it happens when changing from forward to reverse when parked, is a split engine mount.
    The engine and gearbox are modular (one piece mounted east/west), so there will be three mounts, just check the rubber visually for splits.
    It will cause the motor to rock back and forward, which you will feel through the steering wheel.

frugal.rock and grah33 like this.
  11. grah33

grah33

he came over and the car didn't do the shaking thing this time (it doesn't always), so hard to diagnose. but he changed the spark plugs and said if that doesn't fix it he'll change the X (forgot, another thing that connects to the engine).

he said that previously he changed the steering belt and belt for cooling air conditioning / or radiator... I'm really forgetful ...

it doesn't really make sense to me, as the spark plug must have been good before. a logical conclusion seems to me that what he did before brought about the shaking, as that's when the shaking started. wouldn't be surprised if it's shaking again soon

12. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

G'day... if he's changing spark plugs he was probably referring to the coil pack as the next step.

Coil packs get very hot and over time can develop a hairline crack which causes intermittent misfiring usually when the engine is hot.

If it's misfiring going up a hill in top gear then I'd go for the coil pack :)

grah33 likes this.
  13. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Do cars still have coils these days ? I thought it was all controlled by a black box.

Sorry I just remembered they are called Engine Management Systems.:D

grah33 likes this.
  14. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

These days the coils go straight over the plugs so there's better control of spark advance in each cylinder (saves a bit of juice)

Prior to that it was a "coil pack" - usually 2 or 3 coils in a board which worked well but they get very hot and after a decade or two they wear out and/or crack and need replacement.

grah33 and SirRumpole like this.
  15. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

And prior to that there was only one coil although that would be a minority of the cars on the road these days. :)

Back to the original problem - was there anything actually wrong with the car before it was serviced? That is, was the purpose of servicing just for routine maintenance? Or was it to fix a specific problem? If so, what were the symptoms of that problem?

grah33 likes this.
  16. grah33

grah33

it was a routine service, although , right before the service, there was also a sound as well that i was concerned about, that started happening, which i forgot about . so i was getting service for service but also because there was new unhealthy sound that started happening. i didn't think much of it as i thought it was just my car needing service (1.5 years before last one...), but that may have been related to the problem .

my intuition was correct. the problem is still there, and appeared this morning, although went away again. it sounded a bit different too at first, like a metallic sound. i think the engine is shaking and knocking into something (maybe not enough space around it, like it's squashed a bit). it wasn't as bad though. hopefully this shaking isn't a serious issue and won't wreck the car.

17. cutz

cutz

Hey buddy, don't take this the wrong way, is the mechanic you're using a pro or a tinkering family friend? Please no offence intended.

The reason I previous suggested throttle body (sorry I'm often in and out so that was a short post with no explanation) is because your mechanic may have disconnected the battery.

Throughout your cars life, the ECU learns to compensates for minor problems which can alter the fuel/air mixture, i.e. build up within the throttle body or a faulty airflow sensor ( just two examples ) will get the fuel/air off schedule, the ECU then adjusts its map to compensate. When the battery is disconnected/reconnected without back up power the ECU loses all that learned info and you'll get rough running, this has now highlighted you've probably got worn mounts, depending how how unwell your car is maintained determines how long the ECU needs to relearn, sometimes that could take a long time, city and highway driving.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    sptrawler and basilio like this.
  18. grah33

grah33

he is a pro, but charges very cheap. he serviced my car once before. before that i had lubemobile ( no probs ever with them for years). the first time he serviced my car (1.5 years ago), he changed the battery (has happened before) , and did something rather handy- man like to the battery terminals to make it 'fit', as he needed to do that. something like that. I don't know if that is relevant to what you're saying. again the sound happened today, but mostly in the morning. it's happening significantly less now, it would seem. a concern of mine is whether the car would get worse if it remained in this condition. seems to happen always at the start of the day when i first turn it on.

19. grah33

grah33

i don't think he bothered stamping my book as well this time, and that made me wonder. he's known for giving rather cheap service, and popular for that.

20. cutz

cutz

Hi.
    No that's not relevant to what I was saying, I was talking about the engine control unit losing data and resetting back to factory defaults.
    How many km has your car done ?