• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Can you be a successful salesman without lying?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dialuppp, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

That's a tough one lol, I will make so many bad mistakes I assume. I could just make a decision, but for me its hard to tell in the short term if its the right one. But if I wait too long I have wasted too much time.

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

The worst decision you can make is no decision.

Rather than thinking right or wrong think direction think the course to take, think the journey
    plot a course and be FLEXIBLE understand that opportunities will pop us when least expected
    I started Pumping Gas I'm Year 11 educated I'm a duck and love what I do---Live on the Esplanade
    (Yeh own it) and Fly North most years--pretty often.

Lets start with stage (1)

What are you passionate about?
    What are you good at?
    Are you a budding expert in ANY field.
    What would you like to excel at/in
    Who do you admire---why?

3. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Dammit you just asked me questions that are impossible for me to answer haha. I'll try my best though. What I am passionate about? That's what I am trying to figure out after a year. If I had to really think of EVERYTHING possible that I have done, I think building computers or figuring out why they aren't working I could do that for 15 hours a day I think. Reason I say fixing computers because I remember lots of times having hardware issues, software issues, installation problems etc spending all day from when I woke up to go to bed to figure it out.

Another possible thing I think is renovation, If I walk into a old house I can't help but to think I would do this, and this. I always wanted badly to learn how to tile floors, replace wooden floors and sand them etc. A few renovation things I did in my old house nothing to fancy like sanding and repainting or lacquering. But since it wasn't my house I couldn't unlock my full potential and do what I want. Part of me in renovation I am not motivated to do it unless I know I am allowed to do it perfectly. Sounds silly but let me give you an example, in my old house I wanted to repaint everything a different color make it better and sand the wood down to total perfection, mum wouldn't let me do it all the way she would just say do it a bit should be enough. And I'm not happy unless its perfect. What I am trying to say I guess when you are really like doing something you will want to do it even better so that's why I suspect this might be a passion.

I play guitar have for a few years, can play some decently complex stuff, but if I were to advance I would have to get into more of the theory. But music is something I would not what to do for the money, purely for fun so I would not put that part as a possible career.

Also love playing games, could play that all day, games is definitely a passion I wanted to get into game development course but almost no jobs in Australia, and don't know if I have what it takes.

What am I good at? I wish I could answer that, but nothing tbh lol, Umm playing games? But that won't get me nowhere lol. I wish I was an expert on something I could better figure out what I want to do.

Are you a budding expert in ANY field: No not from what I can see.

What would you like to excel at/in: This would probably either be stock investing or property (will make another post about this soon) I wanted to programming but don't think I have what it takes after over 2 years of trying.

Who do you admire---why? Umm this could be anyone who has achieved financial freedom before the age of 30.

4. basilio

basilio

An honest very competent computer fix er upperer who can tackle dodgy software issues ?
    Your worth your weight in gold Dialuppp. Your clients would be small to medium businesses or alternatively on staff with a larger business that has significant IT infrastructure.

Your other outstanding offer to relevant businesses is identifying best value software solutions and processes. This will be substantially different to just the products that forced/sold by mainstream software and hardware providers.

Truly if your self description is reasonably accurate you will have a very bright career in an area you love and are extremely competent in.

5. Rypieee

Rypieee Newbie Keen Beans

You could get REALLY good at Dota 2, get into a team, win the International and become an overnight millionaire:)

Sounds like you are striving to be a perfectionist from your renovation story:) Also looks like you're looking into the stock market not because you're passionate about it but because you want to make money (correct me if i'm wrong :L). P.S I know people are in the stock market to make money but the successful ones do actually have a passion for it more than the thought of making money. Money looks after itself in that instance.

From the very little info that I have gather, why not go down the property route? you could become a R/E Agent that specializes in helping people flip properties after renovations, you could give them ideas on how to extract the most value for every dollar they invest into renovations.

Or you could go down the computer pathway and help to build computer - though you just said that you didn't complete your IT degree which will limit you at the start..

My parents and mentors have always advised me to take up what I have a passion for rather than chasing the money and I never really saw the meaning of that statement until only recently... Money will always look after itself if you have a passion for something. You could be the most passionate person about garbage collection and make an entire business around garbage collection and succeed.

tech/a likes this.
  6. Klogg

Klogg

That's only true to a point. You have to have a way of monetising whatever it is that you do, or it's pointless.

Yes, do what you love, but make sure there's a path there that allows you to make a living from it.
    That said, there's a separate argument against the "do what you love" idea:
    http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/10/...s-work-is-making-your-working-life-miserable/

Rypieee likes this.
  7. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

N
    ah dota would take over 7 years or even 10 to get extremely good. That game is so deep. One game I am decent at and have lots of experience is CS:GO. Was sorta a dream of mine to join a pro team.

EDIT: I didn't read your comment properly lol was about to write the opposite by accident xD, on the passionate part about stock investing yeah I am not passionate about it but its about making money.

You said this "I know people are in the stock market to make money but the successful ones do actually have a passion for it more than the thought of making money" EVERYONE who invests in the stock market they do it for the money if there is any other reason I think they are lieing, unless I am missing something. Sure they might enjoy going through 10 years of annual reports making models etc, but the end goal is to gain wealth.

This part "why not go down the property route?" This is interesting cause for the past couple days been reading some investing books and I was going to make a post whether I should choose between real estate or stocks, but instead of making a post what I wanted to say is this property book I read the author says focus on one thing. Becoming a value investor is a **** ton of work so is property investing, but property investing seems less complicated, less technical than value investing, I feel like I would know what to do better than stock investing. But I already have a good start in value investing so I gotta make a choice I guess. I don't mind putting in the work, I just want to make sure I make the right choice.

And your last paragraph about not chasing money, these things like property, stocks etc are all for making money. But like you said following a passion and not focusing on the money I just wish I could find what that passion was. The closest thing I can see so far is renovation. With building computers though I always thought there wasn't much money to be made there. Building skill is more important for me right now, but in what?

I am going for some sales work experience soon. Maybe that's something I will like.

8. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Ok thanks. Though with the computer repair, I would just have to get a job in a pc repair shop right for a start? That was sorta a small dream of mine.

9. basilio

basilio

Maybe? Not so sure about that. In that role you are down at the bottom of the pecking order with at least one to two other organisations making money off your efforts. I suspect your pay would be relatively small as well. But it may be some good experience for you in terms of seeing what is done and learning some tricks.

In this day and age just repairing computers is not that viable. They are relatively cheap. The big issues are
    1) Dealing with crashed systems, loss of data, corruption.
    2) Attempting to keep office computers running effectively and without corruption, bugs hackers
    3) Advising on appropriate upgrades (and not just because Microssoft or Apple tell you so)

I have had long conversations with IT programmers (family, friends) and the value of a good IT person who can protect, organise and recover systems and has good communication skills is very high.

10. Rypieee

Rypieee Newbie Keen Beans

You could sell/trade skins in CS.GO? Hahaha

Yeah regarding passion for the stockmarket, some people are actually addicted to the stock market not because of the money it churns out but because of the process of analysing the market - whether it be technical or fundamental. While the end goal of the stock market and a lot of other professions out there is money, it is the process that I am referring to when I am talking about passion:) If you just focus on the end goal of money with no care about the journey/process of that profession that I doubt you would last long... Disclaimer: I dont have enough life experience to comment but my thoughts nonetheless.

Maybe one day when you find that you are doing something that others consider as work but to you its a hobby, then you know you have a passion for it. I found it with the stock market:)

Property investing is good and you have many different ways to partake in it, I recently started a sub-division project with a 3 party company and I was astounded by the amount of capital you need to properly invest in the property market. To say the least, I'm not particularly interested in property investing but did it with my partner to diversify my investments from the stock market:) Maybe you can look into property investing once you manage to round up your capital?? Me and my partner had 50K to invest in the property market and that was no where close to where we needed to be for a sub-division project which sat closer to 200K, thats why we needed to join forces with family members to undertake the project:)

Good luck on your sales experience and make it count:)

11. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

There is some good stuff here and in others suggestions.
    I have been involved in Property for 30 yrs. Its one of the most lucrative things you can do.
    I have flipped/held and now develop.
    If you get your R/E licence you can then gain experience in finding and selling good
    property opportunities. You can also then gain your agents licence.
    Down the track and with a financial base you will be on the ground floor to finding opportunities.

Id make your Computing skills work for YOU.

There are a couple of things in your replies that concern me.

You seem to be very narrow in your ability to identify opportunity and branches from outside of it.
    You appear to want to start at the top.
    You don't look as if you want to build the necessary foundational work that is required
    to build a life and career. ( You don't like the idea of the hard grinding yards).

Finally there are times when you must be perfect
    There are far more times where that last 5% is not
    needed. Identify those times.

12. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Thanks man.

13. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Ah ok.

14. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Ah ok. You said "
    You seem to be very narrow in your ability to identify opportunity and branches from outside of it.
    You appear to want to start at the top.
    You don't look as if you want to build the necessary foundational work that is required
    to build a life and career. ( You don't like the idea of the hard grinding yards)." What part of my previous sentences possible indicates this? I said up before I don't mind putting in the work. I know you need to start from the bottom. But Wouldn't the first step be deciding what you want to do first?

15. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

I think it's a bit of harsh if you use the word liar. Perhaps you can add more weight to something (especially if it's a good one) and make sure to defend or strengthen the weaker spots of a thing. Because if you are lying, it will sort of destroy your reputation. It's about your communication and people skills.

16. Dialuppp

Dialuppp

Ah ok.