• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Can you be a successful salesman without lying?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RandomInvestor, Jun 14, 2017.

1. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Hey guys so I had a question might seem a bit silly but I am asking it because you always hear stuff like salesman are liars, or beat around the bush etc. I am looking for a possible career path, because right now am only working a part time job, not attending University anymore. One of my main qualities is I am honest and don't really want to leave that in order to be successful. Another thing I wanted to ask with customers you have to do fake smiling and all that bull****, but I hate doing that I just want to get to the point and get you what you need. There are 2 options either a major attitude change from my side or not do it. Do you guys also think is a business more for fake people or should change my attitude and give it a go? Thanks.

Mark Anthony likes this.
  2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

In my view the best salespeople are straightforward about their products good and bad points. No product is perfect and people usually buy things because the positives of the products suit their purposes.

It obviously depends on what you are selling. So much stuff is sold on the internet by machines not humans. Salespeople are going to become another casualty of the internet revolution imo.

3. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

if you lie as a salesperson you won't get repeat business and bad news travels fast.
    On the other hand, there is this quote from a famous diplomat.

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
    Jean Giraudoux
    French diplomat, dramatist, & novelist (1882 - 1944)

wayneL likes this.
  4. luutzu

luutzu

People thought I shuldn't go into business because I'm too honest, and lack social skills. Look at me now. Wait... :D

Start your own business if you're going into sales but aren't good with people. Just like this lady who took our food orders over the weekend. By the way she talk and answer, I swear I thought she was about to beat us up if we don't swipe the card proper.

5. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

I think I'm ok with people as in general conversation but I am very stale I guess you could say, people think I am pissed off lol. One customer I know at work told me "you always look grumpy" lol.

6. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Ah ok maybe with some sales people its not that are dishonest but more indirect or able to pressure u in a purchase? I know I got fooled for 1 grand a couple months back, I got lied to by this salesman I guess just in those situations you gotta keep cool. This guy also gave me a discount and said the offer expires tonight I think it was to lock in the sale, I didn't really think of it at the time until after but I definitely had buyers remorse.

7. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

There are more sales positions than retail.
    The best positions in my view are consultants.
    Become an expert then you will be in demand
    Against other experts in the same or similar field.

Experts don't need to be dishonest they simply need
    To make available the best value choice for their clients
    Or customers. Price rarely comes into this form of selling.

It's more about expertise,capability and confidence.

It's a skill you really need to know.
    Well beyond the product and client match up.
    Its understanding markets not only yours
    Understanding psychology not only those of your clients
    You need to understand the art of negotiation a skill required
    In many aspects of business.

The best people in sales are clearly passionate,well informed
    And personable. Trust melts away most of the negatives in
    The sales negotiation.

Good luck do not underestimate the importance of this field.

Knobby22 likes this.
  8. macca

macca

Sales is such a wide field that there are always jobs for good people. Sales can be a simple sale at a checkout or something extremely complex worth millions, it can be a product or a service, the field is probably the widest range of any profession on the planet.

If you believe that it is necessary to lie to succeed then you are so far wrong it ain't funny.

The best sales people are the honest ones that people trust, they earn repeat business and referrals simply by doing the right thing.

Find a product you like, could be financial services, could be real estate, could be cars, could household renovations could be just about anything.

Then find a reputable firm that will teach you how to sell their product, once you have the sales training you can gain some experience dealing with people and someday start your own business or move to another product

Knobby22 likes this.
  9. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Thanks, if I don't like sales should I still do it because its a important skill or just for a few months or even a year to do it and get experience?

10. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Sounds good right now I am looking at Real Estate Sales.

11. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

What do you think?

12. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Hard to say because I seem to be jumping between alot of things. I feel like even if I don't like it I could put up with it because anything that helps me towards my success is worth it no matter how boring it is.

13. macca

macca

Learning sales is a life skill that will help in many fields, any where that requires interaction with other people will be easier if you understand sales.

14. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

You need to learn decisiveness

You need to learn!

15. macca

macca

Only you can decide what field you find interesting, choose a general field and start investigating opportunities.

Talk to older people in the field, most people over 50 are quite happy to share their experiences

16. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

Yeah that's true. Though I am nervous as hell to get started, not knocking on peoples door but actually going to the agency and asking them lol.

17. basilio

basilio

One of the most dangerous problems in the sales field is that generally the most profitable products to sell are the worst value for consumers. This is particularly the case with big ticket items or sales that involve contacts for ongoing commitments.
    To make a sale of these products salesmen are trained to say some very dubious (dishonest) things and to use a range of psychological tactics to get the signature on the deal. Examples

-Time share resorts. Totally notorious
    -The old encylopedia sales model. Mostly gone now but a real rip off
    -Life insurance, pet insurance, death insurance almost all insurance products.
    -"Financial advisors". Theoretically a good idea. In reality some of the greediest, most unethical bottom feeders in the business.

18. Klogg

Klogg

Isn't this the same reason you gave up your IT degree?

19. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Think outside for the shoe box.

Earthmoving equipment (Hitachi, Kobelco, CAT )
    Luxury Yachts
    Planes
    Businesses.
    Export Products like Wine, Steel, Wheat, Cattle---Pharmaceuticals.

The list is endless. The value to society and to business and consumer
    alike is un fathomable.
    On the FLIP side you become a BUYER!

You become a great negotiator at higher and higher levels as you climb.
    Not everyone can sell Wine to the Chinese!!

We all rise to our level of INCOMPETENCE.

20. RandomInvestor

RandomInvestor

I guess it is in a way. But difference is I don't see any value in my IT degree there is nothing I enjoy in it, and that's not the only bad part the other part is, I don't see my self successful with it.