• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Buying the ASX 200 (XJO)

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Bob, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bob

Bob

Hi,

I am a newbee and am paper trading. Can someone please advise me regarding the ASX200? I have logged into my Commsec account (no money in it) and tried to buy the ASX200 using the ticker XJO, however, the system has come back stating to use a valid code. Can someone help?

Thanks

2. finicky

finicky

You could look at:

VAS (Vanguard asx300)
    A200 (Betashares asx200)
    IOZ (Ishares asx200)

Don't ask me which is better, they're all low commission etfs, I don't use etfs

LMGTFY

3. Dona Ferentes

Dona Ferentes

XJO is an index, not an index fund. Generally, etf's such as @finicky's list are along the lines of VAS.AXW not VAS.ASX, from memory

PS: Don't 'ask for advice"; forum contributors are not licenced to give same

4. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

ASX SPI200 Futures. Easiest way to trade it.
    You'll need to be able to trade futures $25 a tick
    Ok now as there. is some volatility.

5. Bob

Bob

Thanks all

6. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

To clarify that for the benefit of Bob, there's a specific legal meaning to the word "advice" and in short, nobody on this or any stock market forum is permitted to give "advice" due to that definition. That's a government rule not one the forum owners came up with.

We can however most certainly give opinions, analysis and so on so long and you could choose to act based on that or not. Just can't "advise" you to do so.

That's a bit like saying that I can't tell you it's safe to cross the road but I can tell you that I can't see any traffic coming.

Answering the question - what others have said. ETF's or futures - in practice I think most new investors would choose an ETF. :2twocents

barney and Joe Blow like this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

Just to clarify further, you cannot provide others with specific financial advice. In the context of this thread, you can give Bob advice on how to invest in the ASX 200 but you cannot advise him that he should invest in the ASX 200.

The one important thing to remember is to never provide someone with specific advice on how they should invest their own money. Don't tell them they should buy gold, invest in a particular stock, short the Dow Jones or anything along similar lines that may result in financial loss as a result of relying on that specific advice.

Any advice other than that is perfectly fine. Even general advice such as investing long term in blue chip stocks is a solid investment strategy is fine. It is specific advice that is the issue, not general advice.

Dona Ferentes, Iggy_Pop and Smurf1976 like this.