• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Business Initiative Award 2017

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by basilio, Jun 16, 2017.

1. basilio

basilio

Sometimes you just have to take your hat off in awe at the capacity of some of our business/community leaders to take care of themselves.
    Exhibit One

'It's part of my package': Eman Sharobeem claimed $34,000 in traffic fines

Eman Sharobeem racked up $34,000 in traffic fines that she billed to the Immigrant Women's Health Service - but remains defiant that claiming them was "part of my package".

In evidence on her eighth day in the witness box at the Independent Commission Against Corruption, Ms Sharobeem was shown a folder of speeding fines from 2014-15 that totalled $10,000 for that year alone.

1497506292059.jpg
    Eman Sharobeem, left, outside the corruption hearing with sons Charlie, right, and Richard, rear. Lawyer Arjun Chhabra is in front. Photo: Peter Rae
    Over eight years, she was issued with $34,634 in infringement notices by the State Debt Recovery Office covering some 40 offences, the commission heard.

In a fiery exchange with counsel assisting the commission, Ramesh Rajalingam, Ms Sharobeem defended her actions in claiming the fines from an organisation supposed to be caring for newly arrived immigrant women.

You're using IWHS funds to pay for your own tickets, Mr Rajalingam said.

"It's part of my package"

Mr Rajamlinga asserted it was improper for the IWHS to pay.

"Who should pay it?," Ms Sharobeem said. "It's part of my package."

"All the fines were paid by the service because it was part of my package.

"It's a ticket given during working hours."

"As manager when I received my work I was told that the car and everything associated with the car was part of your package," she told the commission.

Ms Sharobeem was also accused of ordering IWHS staff to sign declarations they were driving her car when she was issued with an infringement notice because she "didn't have many points left".
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw...d-34000-in-traffic-fines-20170615-gwrnga.html

This is the 8th day of ICAC proceedings. I'll throw up some of the other highlights in due course.

qldfrog likes this.
  2. basilio

basilio

More background on Eman Sharobeem

Australian of the Year finalist Eman Sharobeem lied about university education, ICAC told
    By court reporter Jamelle Wells
    Posted 2 May 2017, 4:04pm

Related Story: Australian of the Year finalist accused of stealing thousands in public funds
    Related Story: Women's rights campaigner recognised with Australian of the Year nomination
    Map: Sydney 2000
    Centrelink staff and church officials referred patients to a former Australian of the Year finalist who fraudulently claimed to be a psychologist, the ICAC has heard.

New South Wales' corruption watchdog is investigating allegations 2015 Australian of the Year finalist Eman Sharobeem fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars in State Government funding when she was in charge of two not-for-profit migrant community health groups in Sydney's west.

She is accused of submitting fake invoices and using government money to buy her husband a luxury car and to pay for holidays, dental work, home renovations, jewellery, clothes and beauty services.

The public inquiry is also investigating allegations she falsely claimed to have two PhDs in psychology and a masters degree to boost her public profile, to treat patients and to facilitate community groups to get even more money.

The inquiry heard she is not a qualified psychologist
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...ar-finalist-lied-about-phd-icac-hears/8488838

3. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

She may be wise to remember the case of Marcus Einfield, former judge, who did a similar thing, only it turned out that one of the people he claimed was driving his car had died some years before.

He did gaol time as I recall.

4. basilio

basilio

I think the issue of getting people to sign declarations of driving her car are about 28th on the list of indictable offences. From the hearings in ICAC to date fraud, deception, abuse of office and so will keep prosecutors busy enough.
    What is fascinating, in the sense of of watching slow motion car crashes, are the descriptions of her trying to inveigle staff and malevolent other parties as architects of various frauds she perpetuated on the organisation. Priceless..
    What I'm questioning is how did any Board of Management allow these transactions to pass unnoticed? What about audits ? Accountants sign offs? From my understanding of these kinds of bodies there are many governance procedures in place. They may be inefficient but rarely such ridiculous corruption.

5. basilio

basilio

This story gets stickier and stickier.
    Turns out almost everything Ms Sharobeem has said is written by Mills and Boon. Opens up even more questions about organisations checking the credentials of their candidates.

Revealed: Sharobeem family sent $500,000 to relative in Egypt after ICAC grilling

• Michael Evans, Farid Farid
    796 reading now
    It's the claim that thrust Eman Sharobeem into the spotlight – a child bride, forced by her parents to marry her first cousin as a teenager.

But like so much of her unravelling life story – two non-existent PhDs, purporting to be a psychologist and fake CVs – it is nothing more than a fabrication.

• Share on Facebook SHARE
    • Share on Twitter TWEET
    1499609887023.jpg
    Franswa Philip Fathy, nephew of Eman Sharobeem, and his wife Dalia Saeed, to whom ICAC alleges more than $500,000 was transferred by the Sharobeem family. Photo: Supplied
    Her claim to have married at age 15 is a fantasy.

Ms Sharobeem was, in fact, an adult, aged about 21 when she married in 1984.
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/revealed-...gypt-after-icac-grilling-20170621-gwve6n.html

6. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Seems Sharobeem only sounds similar to Cherubim.
    Because an angel she most definitely ain't. :p