• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Building a meaningful portfolio

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by bux2000, May 14, 2020.

1. bux2000

bux2000

Hi there,
    With the Ministry of Finance loosening purse strings I find myself with a delema of what to drop and buy to build a useful investment tool. Although it was not until my youngest developed in interest in investing very recently, I rekindled that interest in the market from many years ago.
    So lets go.
    I subscribed to Incredible Charts a few years ago and although I am certainly not a technical wizz I can Identify Support, Resistance , a few chart patterns, trend lines etc.etc. Using a default Slow Stochastic, RSI. Volume and Multiple Moving Average to identify entry and exit points and longer term trends
    I have recently subscribed to Simply Wall St and MorningStar to gain an insight into the Company and some basic fundamentals of the Company I am looking at. Companies like REX (where I missed the flight yesterday) but still hope to buy a seat. Where the Directors have some skin in he Game as it were and FMG which has made up the large portion of my Portfolio.
    I now find myself with a large number about 20 of relatively small positions.
    the first positions I took were ATS IVC FMG VEA VUK DOW MYR RCE AJM SXL PGH GTN SW1 more recently NIC GEM BLD.
    Which on average have done OK but with the obvious wisdom around me here can i ask some questions

1. Is there a number of positions that make a portfolio easier to deal with if the Custard (being polite) hits the fan
    2.Is the likes of URW and GTN sitting at significant lows have a place in a long term Portfolio
    3. At this stage is there a place for the likes of A1M CST TAO in a long term strategy.

Thanks for your time
    bux

2. bux2000

bux2000

Apologies, my original post certainly looks like an ask for Financial advice........forgive me for my naivety.

I will try to make my question more general.
    URW today appears to have had a good day. My novice eye seems like there has been a breakthrough of the downtrend up some 12.7% today.
    Is this as simple as one of the larger institutional type buyers have decided to take a position which triggers such a move or is it more complex.

URW Chart.png

Thanks for your time
    bux