Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Brisbane Storm

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
We have a number of members in Brisbane. Hope you're all OK after that violent storm yesterday?

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I shot this short video with my phone just as it started. It's been a while since I've seen hail like this in Brisbane and from what I have heard there were much bigger hailstones elsewhere. Fortunately, both car and house sustained no damage.

Last edited:

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reaction score
Guess which idiot decided to go into town and got trapped in the carpark that was Coronation Drive.... you know that scene where Chevy Chase (European Vacation) gets trapped on the circus in London... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I shot this short video with my phone just as it started. It's been a while since I've seen hail like this in Brisbane and from what I have heard there were much bigger hailstones elsewhere. Fortunately, both car and house sustained no damage.

Joe, thanks for the video of yesterday's storm in Brisbane

Having spent the first 40 years of my life in Coorparoo Brisbane, it brought back memories of some of the horrific storms I experienced with hail stones as big as tennis balls.....I recall driving home one afternoon and getting stuck in Roma street in a 1935 Chev coupe with a fabric hood.,,,my passenger was struck on the head with a hail stone the size of a tennis ball that ripped through the hood.

It was a common occurrence to to view the black sky in the west and as the black lifted was often followed by a green sky....that was our indication of the expectation of hail......

Being a plumber in those days, the storms always brought us plenty of work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
The amount of destruction was reinforced this evening on 7.30 Qld. I'm full of admiration for the people who have been forced out of their homes, yet retain a calm cheerfulness.

And the willingness of the SES to do all they do, all volunteers, afaik.

And, for that matter, the organisation of the BCC in terms of getting the clean up underway.

I can't help making the contrast with a similar situation in some other countries where no such organisation and procedures are routine, ensuring the misery of people is prolonged. Much to be grateful for here.

Reaction score
I live a little south of the city and we copped it pretty bad. Had a smashed kitchen window which then allowed the wind to blow the glass everywhere...

Thinking about it, I guess I can't say we copped it bad...considering how bad it could have been..and how bad others fared. But it was the worst storm I've ever encountered in my short time on planet earth.

The trading station even had a few hailstones find their way in...fortunately they were deflecting off an outside fence and caused no damage to the physical assets inside :D

skc

Goldmember
Reaction score
I live a little south of the city and we copped it pretty bad. Had a smashed kitchen window which then allowed the wind to blow the glass everywhere...

Thinking about it, I guess I can't say we copped it bad...considering how bad it could have been..and how bad others fared. But it was the worst storm I've ever encountered in my short time on planet earth.

The trading station even had a few hailstones find their way in...fortunately they were deflecting off an outside fence and caused no damage to the physical assets inside :D
Apparently more storms over the weekend. Take care.