• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Brexit OUT of EU: What happens now?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noco, Jun 24, 2016.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. sptrawler

sptrawler

Agree with you IFocus, it is just he has copped a huge bashing along with Trump, not that I follow the politics of either, it is great to see the media have to eat humble pie occasionally.
    I just hope it goes to an election, that puts it to bed forever.

qldfrog likes this.
  2. bellenuit

bellenuit

U.K. Lawmakers Disrupt Boris Johnson’s Brexit Plan
    What was supposed to be a dramatic up-or-down vote on the British prime minister’s deal with Brussels fizzled amid parliamentary maneuvers.

[​IMG]

LONDON — Just as Britain appeared on the cusp of a history-making, up-or-down vote on its long-delayed departure from the European Union, the British Parliament struck an impasse on Saturday as lawmakers adopted a measure that delayed a vote on Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal with Brussels.

The turbulent events left Mr. Johnson’s agreement in limbo, legally obliging him to seek yet another extension for Britain’s departure, which he had once vowed never to do. It was the latest twist in a debate that has convulsed the country ever since the British public voted in 2016 for a divorce from the European Union.

On a dramatic day in which lawmakers debated while enormous crowds of anti-Brexit protesters marched outside the Houses of Parliament, Mr. Johnson implored lawmakers to approve his agreement, which would pave the way for Britain to leave the European Union at the end of the month.

Sorry, the rest is behind NYT subscription firewall.

3. qldfrog

qldfrog

There is no way the political class and establishment will let the people decide

Brexit, Trump, Catalonia, Hong Kong incredible how these common people dare to tell us how to rule them

Knobby22 and Miss Hale like this.
  4. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Sheer speculation here.

A WTO exit on Oct could still happen and may actually be the goal of Boris and Cummings. I still have a few contacts inside the Illiberal Undemocrats over there (**of which to my eternal shame I was a member of) and nobody really knows WTF is going to happen.

**We were Orange Bookers and regularly told by the Marxist branch of the party to **** off and join the Tories.

qldfrog likes this.
  5. Logique

Logique Investor

If Boris and the Tories have the cohones for it, they can bluster their way through. The people are with them. Apart from London.

How? By daring UK Labour & Remainer fellow travellers to vote "No Confidence" in the government, hence calling on a general election. Which as we have seen, the elites will shrink from..

6. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Well they got it through, sort of..
    The opposition still want a delay and be able to review.

Boris wants to use this to proceed immediately or force and election:
    The Tory's who quit the party will be seeking new careers. I reckon the opposition will try their hardest to not let an election occur however surely the Prime Minister can call one? Actually not, they created fixed terms parliament so need 2/3rds majority to call an election. Unintended consequences.

IFocus and sptrawler like this.
  7. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Britain is a train wreck. Democracy died there a while back.

sptrawler and qldfrog like this.
  8. noirua

noirua

9. sptrawler

sptrawler

noirua likes this.
  10. sptrawler

sptrawler

11. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Gee, Corbyn is a Marxist, look at some of his policies... assuming Mish is telling the truth, I find it as bit hard to believe.
    Also if you go to the site linked below you can see the Liberal Democrats are doing very well in the polling.

In a forced distribution scheme, Labour Proposes Workers to Get 10% of Company Shares
    1. Rebecca Long-Bailey, the shadow business secretary, and John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, want big companies to give employees a 10% stake in their business and a seat on their boards.
    2. They plan to renationalize rail, water, energy and Royal Mail, increase corporation tax and the minimum wage, and extend workers’ rights.
    3. Companies doing business with the government will have bosses’ pay capped and there will be a tax on financial transactions.
    Corbyn proposes sheltering the homeless and forcing homeowners to sell their homes to renters at a "reasonable" price, set by the government.

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/econ...soul-of-great-britain-c3DdQcPeU0a-PlIoIAAIhw/

12. qldfrog

qldfrog

Yes he is a true blue communist a la polpot...i know it sounds incredible, worse still, he has support to become leader
    Once 50pc of voters pay no tax, it is an auction game

Knobby22 likes this.