Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Books on long-term investment strategies and technical analysis

Reactions
Hi All! :)

This forum is great! wish I had of found this place sooner... Wondering if anyone knows of any interesting reads or books?

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations 👍

Sean K

Reactions

This forum is great! wish I had of found this place sooner... Wondering if anyone knows of any interesting reads or books?

Depends what you're into tookie.

My favourite books have been: Dune, The Alchemist, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, What is Good?

I'm not sure if they'll help you trading though...

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions

Hi Tookie, welcome to ASF. When creating threads, try and make your thread titles as specific as you can so others know exactly what the topic of the thread is. Are you after fiction books, non-fiction books, stock market books, trading books, investing books, technical analysis books, or just any books? The reason I ask is that there are dozens of threads on books here at ASF, which is why specific thread titles are a good idea, so your thread can be distinguished from the others.

So, what kind of books are you after?

Reactions
Depends what you're into tookie.

My favourite books have been: Dune, The Alchemist, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, What is Good?

I'm not sure if they'll help you trading though...
Thanks Sean K, The Alchemist was good, wasn’t it?

(Oops… I will make sure I’m less vague next time, sorry.)

I’m into… wanting to improve my understanding of technical analysis. I’ve made some pretty terrible choices lately…. re my trading portfolio.

Reactions
Hi Tookie, welcome to ASF. When creating threads, try and make your thread titles as specific as you can so others know exactly what the topic of the thread is. Are you after fiction books, non-fiction books, stock market books, trading books, investing books, technical analysis books, or just any books? The reason I ask is that there are dozens of threads on books here at ASF, which is why specific thread titles are a good idea, so your thread can be distinguished from the others.

So, what kind of books are you after?

Thankyou Joe… Apologies for being a cause of irritation. I will definitely keep that in mind within the future.

I’m seeking to find books on long-term investment strategies and technical analysis. Thanks :)

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
Thankyou Joe… Apologies for being a cause of irritation. I will definitely keep that in mind within the future.

I’m seeking to find books on long-term investment strategies and technical analysis. Thanks :)

No problem, not a cause of irritation. I have re-titled your thread so it is more specific. I hope you get some replies that point you in the right direction.

Dona Ferentes

I'm moderate
Reactions
by putting two words TA and books in the Search (top RH corner) , clicking Search Titles Only, several threads came up..

This one looked promising

Reactions

TA and long-term investing as two different strategies ??

i would have thought FA is a better help for long-term investing

also Elliott Waves might be useful for helping time your buying ( when investing long-term ) but learn a bit about charts they can be helpful as well for those rare buying opportunities ( get you closer to those cycle lows )

102 Warren Buffett Quotes on Life, Success, & More​

now i don't follow Warren precisely , but he does have some useful ideas ( for me ) which i then may tweak a little to best suit me

please note there is an agenda planned to completely change the world system ( for 99.9% of it ) that plan may succeed , or fail

so you have to decide if long-term is 8 years or LONGER ( maybe i will be around in 8 years and maybe not )

please note the planned agenda is trying to uproot businesses as you understand them , you probably need to understand a business's ability to survive , first

ALSO note whether a company is in favour of 'board refreshes ' ( i call it change for the sake of change ) i prefer a board that knows where it is going AND how to get there , rather than looking for new adventures ( and reasons to beg for more cash )

Reactions
Even if your not strictly a T.A. aficionado, any books by Aussie author Nick Radge ( Unholy Grails ) are worth a look.
Aso books about Buffet and all the other American wealth creators , too.

Value Collector

Have courage, and be kind.
Reactions

Here are some of the books that have helped me on my journey in understanding value investing, business and general investment.

2F04EABF-F15D-413A-A01A-4E3C6CDEBA3D.png FD86EFF9-5C71-45CD-9DA0-99C24EE8E559.png DD8FE46A-48DD-488D-9340-D4C848FE7D07.png E76C575E-D370-4BAE-9041-6AEAC29B6239.png

Reactions
TA and long-term investing as two different strategies ??

i would have thought FA is a better help for long-term investing

also Elliott Waves might be useful for helping time your buying ( when investing long-term ) but learn a bit about charts they can be helpful as well for those rare buying opportunities ( get you closer to those cycle lows )

102 Warren Buffett Quotes on Life, Success, & More​

now i don't follow Warren precisely , but he does have some useful ideas ( for me ) which i then may tweak a little to best suit me

please note there is an agenda planned to completely change the world system ( for 99.9% of it ) that plan may succeed , or fail

so you have to decide if long-term is 8 years or LONGER ( maybe i will be around in 8 years and maybe not )

please note the planned agenda is trying to uproot businesses as you understand them , you probably need to understand a business's ability to survive , first

ALSO note whether a company is in favour of 'board refreshes ' ( i call it change for the sake of change ) i prefer a board that knows where it is going AND how to get there , rather than looking for new adventures ( and reasons to beg for more cash )
Thank you so much for your reply, Divs4Ever ! I appreciate your knowledge.

Yes, I’m two different minds – I’ve been a bit conflicted... because as you say there is an agenda to change the worlds system and I 100% agree with your view here - hence, I’ve been stuck between trying to adapt Buffet’s strategy and wondering if I should just being playing a short-term game.

Trying to wipe out smaller businesses yes, exactly – all planned - trying to get my head around identifying decent companies now and learning about ‘intrinsic value’. I’ve been trying to find small caps with a lot of upside… that may also survive the test of time.

I’ll check out Elliot Wave – thank you so much again for taking the time to respond.

- Tookie

Reactions
Even if your not strictly a T.A. aficionado, any books by Aussie author Nick Radge ( Unholy Grails ) are worth a look.
Aso books about Buffet and all the other American wealth creators , too.
Dyna - thank you so much for this suggestion - great to find Aussie author's. Cheers!

Reactions
Reactions
Thank you so much for your reply, Divs4Ever ! I appreciate your knowledge.

Yes, I’m two different minds – I’ve been a bit conflicted... because as you say there is an agenda to change the worlds system and I 100% agree with your view here - hence, I’ve been stuck between trying to adapt Buffet’s strategy and wondering if I should just being playing a short-term game.

Trying to wipe out smaller businesses yes, exactly – all planned - trying to get my head around identifying decent companies now and learning about ‘intrinsic value’. I’ve been trying to find small caps with a lot of upside… that may also survive the test of time.

I’ll check out Elliot Wave – thank you so much again for taking the time to respond.

- Tookie
you don't have to be 100% one way or the other , there are some companies that can be traded for a while , i remember on another forum where one guy 'trend traded' ILU while i 'channel trade ' QBE

BUT the trick is to pick the right share for the strategy ( or vice versa the right strategy for a share )

so you could pick a 'solid company ' ( if one still exists in the current 'activist climate ' ) and just invest ( that includes buying small parcels in the dips ) , ( say BHP or maybe FMG )

but remember to keep an eye on the ones you are investing in as well ( sometimes even the most boring companies present an opportunity , or a wise exit )

cheers

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
My View.

T/A for long term would and should in my opinion be used in developing a long-term trading system or Methodology.
Radges Book Holy Grails covers quite a few. He doesn't have any left in print so he told me. Ill check to see how people like you can get one. Maybe someone here has a copy they don't want.

Basically, you can program a set of rules ---test it for a decent positive expectancy ---- if you like the results you can then trade it.
A complex topic that is beyond this thread. There are about 5 available from Nicks Book one is mine (Techtrader).

Value Collector

Have courage, and be kind.
Reactions
My View.

T/A for long term would and should in my opinion be used in developing a long-term trading system or Methodology.
Radges Book Holy Grails covers quite a few. He doesn't have any left in print so he told me. Ill check to see how people like you can get one. Maybe someone here has a copy they don't want.

Basically, you can program a set of rules ---test it for a decent positive expectancy ---- if you like the results you can then trade it.
A complex topic that is beyond this thread. There are about 5 available from Nicks Book one is mine (Techtrader).
Kindle and other e readers are good for books that are out of print. (If Radge isn’t on Kindle tell him he is missing out)

I personally use the Amazon Kindle for all my new book purchases now, they are cheaper to buy than the physical copies, and easy to travel with, and if you don’t want to purchase an actual Kindle tablet you can just down load the kindle app onto your phone.

(I recommend getting an actual Kindle though, the Matt screens are more like a real book than a glossy iPhone screen)

Reactions
My dog-eared copy gets re-read every year or so, but if you're really stuck for finding that great little book , and you are close to a capital city, your State Library will have one, for sure.

Since the Hayne Royal Commission and banks subsequently withdrawing from flogging their own financial products, 90% of Australians can no longer afford sound, financial advice. So, even easy to understand books by well respected authors like Noel Whittaker and "The Barefoot Investor" (and not forgetting free forums such as this) are probably the best hope to save folks from losing their life savings.
The fraudsters and scam artists are never going away and those horror stories will just keep on a'coming .

Reactions
Thank you tech/a! :xyxthumbs I'll have a look at Radges site and order a copy - I've had a few people recommend his book to me in person too.

Kindle is the go! - at the moment I've become obsessed with the audible app and listening to books as I fall asleep.

The book I'm listening to at the moment is "Rule #1 - the simple strategy for investing" By Phil Town and I can't recommend this book enough - so far it's been a game changer for me... :)