• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Bob Hawke's death and implications for the election

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by basilio, May 16, 2019.

1. basilio

basilio

Bob Hawke passed away this evening. He was in rapidly failing health and couldn't make the Labour launch last week.

He will be remembered as an iconic Labour leader who remade the Australian economy in the 1980's. However his death will also have a huge impact on the upcoming election.

1) His rapprochement with Paul Keating and their joint declaration of support for Bill Shorten and the Labour Party was a potent signal of unity in contrast to a poisonously divided Liberal Party

2) His death tonight means he and the successes of the Labour Party in the 1980's will be front page news in all media for the next 2 days. You can't buy that sort of publicity...

3) As a result of Bob Hawkes death Tony Abbott has climbed into a weighted canvas bag and jumped into Sydney Harbour. Tony chose to write a eulogy which turned into a tatty, stupid political point scoring exercise. He just proved (again and again and again) what a nasty, divisive, tone deaf piece of xhit he is. And he did it all by himself. ScoMo will be apoplectic.....??

2. explod

explod explod

[​IMG]
    FacebookTwitterPinterest
    Bob Hawke pictured in January 2014. Photograph: Mike Bowers/The Guardian

Born in December 1929 in Bordertown, South Australia, Robert James Lee Hawke was the son of a Congregational minister and a schoolteacher. The family moved to Western Australia in 1939, and Hawke was educated at the Perth modern school and the University of Western Australia, before attending Oxford as a Rhodes scholar.

He returned to Australia and married Hazel Masterton in 1956 , his long time girlfriend.

In 1958, he took up an advocate’s position at the ACTU. Hawke prospered there, taking the presidency in 1970 and serving in that role for a decade.

As head of the trade union movement, Hawke was instrumental in opposing apartheid in South Africa and led several protests against all-white sporting teams that visited Australia.

Hawke became a household name as president of the ACTU but his relentless drinking and womanising was well known and was seen as a major handicap to his political ambitions.

Hazel Hawke said in one interview she realised Hawke was serious about becoming prime minister when he gave up drinking. He had made a couple of earlier attempts to enter parliament but in 1980 was preselected as the member for Wills, and elected that year.

Hawke stalked the then opposition leader Bill Hayden relentlessly, leading to leadership instability which was finally resolved in February 1983. The following month a federal election was held and Hawke defeated Malcolm Fraser. He had realised his ambition to become prime minister of Australia.

That only ended in 1991 when he was deposed by Keating, who accused Hawke of reneging on the Kirribilli agreement to hand over power.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-former-australian-prime-minister-dies-age-89

3. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Has to be worth an extra 1 or 2% for Labor, i thought that ScoMo had closed the gap a little, Labor will win easy now...RIP Bob and thanks for the memory's.

Macquack, Bill M and explod like this.
  4. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

It's just a shame this mob will never live up to his legacy.

Smurf1976, lusk, Skate and 2 others like this.
  5. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

Bob Hawke was one of the greatest Prime Ministers we ever had. Top bloke, I voted for him all the way through. At that time we were a great country and life was good.

As for Tony Abbott, Tony has to go, I think he might loose Warringah. Check out the comments at this link. https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/tony-abbott-slammed-bob-hawke-tribute/

6. sileverback

sileverback

They talk about Hawke loving going out and talking to the people. I worked in Canberra in the mid seventies where I would go to the local RSl for lunch most days. He often came in talking at the bar to whoever wanted a chat. I'd say he knew australians better than anybody else in the country

Macquack likes this.
  7. macca

macca

I thought TA was giving Bob a compliment TBH, of course, the Get Up crowd will twist anything around just to have a crack at TA.

qldfrog and wayneL like this.
  8. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Yeah I couldn't see what was so offensive to be honest. I always thought that Bob was more of a liberal head than bloody Fraser ever did

sptrawler likes this.
  9. qldfrog

qldfrog

I also think it was as a compliment, for Bob was having the courage of facing ideology for the better of Australia.
    I wish both sides of politics could do the same today; I hate Abbott but in this case, this is just the usual social media wankers who should really get a life instead of pretending to have one as perpetually outraged snowflakes.
    They should be ashamed of bringing their petty fights on such a moment.RIP Bob, bigger than life and symbol of an Australia which is no more, for the worst.
    He is partly the reason I settled here 25y ago

10. Macquack

Macquack

I loved Hawke's aggressive style particularly when he was defending against an injustice. I used to think, man I want this guy on my side because of his genuine fighting spirit and common touch.

Smurf1976 and IFocus like this.
  11. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

Abbotts a tosser Hawke was never a Liberal in any way ever, he was ACTU president FFS fighting for the rights of workers, he was totally intolerant of racism in any form dog whistle or other wise.

Reforms that transformed Australia were done with consensus never a Liberal trait.

To try a pin a Liberal label on a past president of the ACTU and Labor leader upon his death is completely fu(king stupid I cannot say that strongly enough.

PZ99, Knobby22 and Macquack like this.
  12. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

It depends what we mean by liberal.

I think Bob was a quintessential liberal in the true liberal sense. Confusingly in Oz, Liberals might not be liberal, in fact the Komrades are actually liberal.... except these days they are more illiberal, conservatives being more liberal than the illiberal liberals, notwithstanding the illiberal faction of the Liberals. :laugh:

Sdajii likes this.
  13. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

...and if the Komrades had any cajones at all, they'd honour Hawkie with a yard glass of VB, not a tinnie of XXXX gold or similar shyte :2twocents

14. IFocus

Never :):)

Macquack likes this.
  15. IFocus

Read the label

Hawke Beer

Macquack likes this.
  16. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Still should be a yard glass

17. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

And are you seriously disputing that laborites are liberals? and please note the capitalisation.

18. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Liberals are meant to be liberals as Menzies wanted.
    He created the party for the middle class.
    It lately seems to want to be turning into the original United Australia Party that Menzies revolted against.

Smurf1976, Sdajii, IFocus and 2 others like this.
  19. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think the "Liberal Head" jibe was out of line considering the circumstances but to me it also comes across as historically inaccurate. After all, the whole western world shifted to the third-way / new-right free market way of thinking in that era. If anything, it was Keating that flirted with neo-Liberalism more than anyone else in the ALP. He even sided with NSW Libs selling wires and poles a few years ago.

But Hawke didn't have a Liberal head. To say he did is to pretend the Liberals were the architects of the free market reforms when in reality they were merely spectators.

:2twocents:2twocents:2twocents

Macquack, IFocus and Knobby22 like this.
  20. IFocus

Politics have moved so far Right that the great irony is that Shortens pitch (neo liberalism) is closer to Menzies than most of the current Liberal incumbents beliefs which revolve around corporate sponsors or radical ideologue.

Macquack and Smurf1976 like this.