• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Bid and Offer prices

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by justasx, Feb 23, 2007.

1. justasx

justasx

Unless I'm mistaken (forgive me), then Bid price is the price a buyer is willing to pay for a stock, while Offer price is what a seller is willing to let the stock go for.

If that is the case, then why would I see Bid price being higher than the Offer?

I was looking at my watchlist today, which I"ve set up on MyASX, and noticed in the early afternoon that practically of my stocks had Bid prices higher than Offer prices. :confused:

2. sleeper88

sleeper88

closing auction

3. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

at the start and end of day there is a period of time called the open price and closing price auctions. during this time all offers and bids are put on hold and then at the end of the period a formula is used based on the overlapping bids and offers to come up with an 'opening' price and a 'closing' price. The purpose is to prevent deliberate manipulation of the opening and closing prices and to provide an orderly open and close to the market. You were probably looking at your stocks between 4 and 4:10 p.m.

4. justasx

justasx

ooph! And I thought I was seeing things! Yes, it would have been around 4pm (3pm my time) when I peeked at it.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

5. bingk6

bingk6

Hi Cuttlefish,

Can you recommend a website that explains this auctioning process in greater detail?

6. kaveman

kaveman

7. bingk6

bingk6