Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Best patio building material (1 Viewer)

Reactions
Need to replace the wooden patio we have. 10 years ago I would have built it myself (in wood) but alas, I can no longer do this. So am thinking of wood vs steel vs aluminium.

What's people's views on these? As an overall choice. I'm leaning to metal - not sure if steel or aluminium. Aluminium seems a bit light. Some experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
Need to replace the wooden patio we have. 10 years ago I would have built it myself (in wood) but alas, I can no longer do this. So am thinking of wood vs steel vs aluminium.

What's people's views on these? As an overall choice. I'm leaning to metal - not sure if steel or aluminium. Aluminium seems a bit light. Some experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

It really depends on the patio design.
What its matching to.
As for durability metal has it's drawbacks if your close to the sea.
I think your in Adelaide and if so private mail me and I'll recommend an installer.
Just finished a timber/ blue board rendered Patio myself.

Reactions
I tend to make all my patios out of steel these days. Wood is great when new but ages quickly especialy now there is limited access to hardwoods like jarrah.
Also some of the new metal products are great and can facilitate some terrific designs.
I wish the new insulated colourbond roof sheeting was available when i built my last one.:2twocents

Reactions
Is it a verandah or is it a deck? Or perhaps it might be an outdoor room.
I thought to google patio and I found this:
http://www.sunset.com/garden/landsc...io-ideas-photos-designs-plans-00400000049429/

Now I'm more confused than ever! :confused:

In the US, a patio refers to an outdoor area usually defined by a hard surface (paving, concrete, timber) that is different to the surrounds. If the patio is covered by a structure, the correct name for that structure is patio cover.

In Australia, we use the term patio to describe both the area and the cover.

Reactions
Thanks. I'm in Ballarat so thanks anyway t/a. House is double storey for the most part with a one storey bit that juts out the back covering about 1/3 of the back length. Current fits into the rectangle that's left - 3m x 8m. Probably more of a pergola attached to the house. Looking to make it 5m x 8m.

Have always used wood but when I googled I saw the 3 materials & like burglar there was too much choice. Next door got a metal one made which looks low maintenance but it is only 2 years old. And I'm thinking of the insulated roofing for summer.

Wood I can repair myself for the most part - not so handy with metal. Anyway thanks fof the replies. Will see the local guys and what and why they recommend what they do.

Cheers

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
I hope it's not hijacking the thread to ask for suggestions for over patio roof under which there will be a heated pool. The whole area will be able to be completely enclosed (to keep the heat in) during winter, but I'm concerned about mildew on the ceiling arising from water temp being higher than ambient temp and causing steam.

Obviously it can be vented, but this will allow the heat loss I'm trying to prevent.

Would the same material that's used in bathrooms work in this situation?

Are there paints that properly repel mildew?

Reactions
Are there paints that properly repel mildew?

Yes, mold-resistant paints that are used in bathrooms. :eek: Best look at oil based paints, enamel. They stink up the place and are very hard to apply in cold weather, but easy enough in the summer.

If you want to go crazy and get something totally waterproof, look into the marine grade paints that they use to paint timber boats.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
Thanks, GB. Never thought of the marine type paints. Great idea.

Reactions
I built my own pergola in previous house ,made of thick treated pine .
so slow was my work rate that by the time i got from one end to the other many posts had warped.
had to replace some of them and the end product was a bit average.

my latest house was fitted with an aluminium framed pergola about 4 years ago,still looks great.
no creaking or warping but more expensive up front.

our pergola roof was fitted with suntuff polycarb sheeting,keeps the uv and heat out but allows plenty of light through.
our only problem has been the house original downpie cant handle the extra flow from the pergola
and on heavy rain days our patio area could be sailed down!

Reactions
Yes, mold-resistant paints that are used in bathrooms. :eek: Best look at oil based paints, enamel. They stink up the place and are very hard to apply in cold weather, but easy enough in the summer.

If you want to go crazy and get something totally waterproof, look into the marine grade paints that they use to paint timber boats.

Zinsser makes a good paint used by lots of landlords. It was pretty good stuff Perma-white can be tinted but not too dark - medium colours. But marine paints - there's a thought...

my latest house was fitted with an aluminium framed pergola about 4 years ago, still looks great. no creaking or warping but more expensive up front.

I'm leaning this way...

Users who are viewing this thread