• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Australian Federal Election - 2016

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybank, Apr 18, 2016.

1. trainspotter

trainspotter

Wind farms and SKA listening devices :2twocents

2. sptrawler

sptrawler

We could install a zillion wind farms in Geraldton, the windiest bloody place on earth.:xyxthumbs

3. sptrawler

sptrawler

My personal thoughts are, The LNP would have been better off staying with Abbott.
    Abbott may well have lost the election but the choices would have been obvious, not the choice of two beige options.
    Do you pick mister stand for nothing LNP, or mister stand for nothing ALP, dumb politics.
    Play to the masses, who don't want anything to happen.:D

If Abbott was there and was creamed, labor would be under the pump to perform.
    If Abbott had won, his policies would have been tested.

Now we have f all but more of the same and a worsening of the fiscal situation, se le ve.

Peta Credlin got it right, when she said the LNP capitulated to a lot of bed wetters.lol

4. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Trouble is that's not creating the sort of jobs that pay well. Adds to the divide between the haves and have not's.

Someone works in a manufacturing industry and loses their job. Ends up getting a job in a retail store paying $45K a year. They've moved from doing fairly well to struggling to pay the bills and won't be happy with that outcome.

I think that what's in the mind of the masses is that we should be able to compete and that part of that is that we shouldn't be needing to compete with countries paying workers $2 an hour in the first place. Compete with the USA or Western Europe = fair enough. Compete with China etc = no chance we'll win, we shouldn't be trying and we shouldn't need to.

At some point in the future I'm pretty sure we'll see a return to protectionism. The two major parties will have no choice unless they can come up with some other way that enables Australian business paying reasonable wages to actually compete with those paying a tenth or less of that amount.

As a friend of mine put it - "Unions have completely stuffed Australia but the Liberals are just looking after the rich". Sums it up pretty well I think, neither has a real solution for the average person. For what it's worth, he's retired, previously a blue collar worker in manufacturing. He's doing OK, own house and reasonable cars etc but like many he's worried about where we're headed long term. :2twocents

5. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

We're stuffed politically and economically for two reasons IMO.

1/ People vote with narrow self interest and not in the national interest. Therefore, politicians gear their electioneering/policies strategically towards narrow self interests.

2/ It is obvious the elecotrate is only able to discern negativity. Labor's disgusting Mediscare campaign was a winner. dammit even the low life scum handing out Labor how to vote pamphlets repeated the "save Medicare" mantra. The Liberals (notwithstanding ludicrous and out of touch policy mistakes) lost out big time through failing to sling mud.

This is why we can't have good sh1t folks.:2twocents

6. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I thought last night's Lateline summed it up very well with Emma hosting Matthew Canavan and Linda Burney.

Both of them learned their lessons, actually Linda is a newb, so Matthew learned the lesson the electorate sent via the ballot.... then jumped in with the same ol' same ol' of Labor being pond scum, he being the the loud voiced beacon of virtue. The indoctrination of politicians into party propaganda must be so powerful they just can't breakout of the infantile ...read INFANTILE name calling, blame games and hurt feelings.

Personally I hope Malcolm calls a snap election, because I reckon the result will be even more representative of an electorate tired of excuses for why we have poor governance and having kiddies in charge of the house.

I'm sure the voters are fairly insulted to be hearing their intelligence is so low they were compelled to switch to Labor because of a Captain Obvious campaign by Labor about our sacred cow Medicare. The impudence of the all seeing eyes going about trying to insinuate that any voter who votes differently to their own inculcation is a simpleton indicates to me we still have people lacking mental gymnastics warming their bums in Parliament.:rolleyes:

7. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I think we are seeing a dynamic where the guys are being overtaken by the women as the hard nuts of politics.

Traditionally parliamentary men saw problems, pulled out virtual spears and solved them, popular or not with the rest of the tribe; apologised if someone lost an eye, got back on the pony and went looking for more exciting things to do.... like building a young country without the baggage of the old world can't do handcuffs.

Now those same men want to discuss the feelings of the tribe, explore the soft options, solve the anxiety rather than the root cause, calm the negative emotions, respect and empathise with the insecurities and anguishes of the individuals, take personal criticisms as a wake up calls.....sound familiar ladies?

8. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

9. Tink

Tink

It looks like Chisholm and Dunkley will go to the Liberals in Vic.

It was only a 1% swing in Vic to Labor, Daniel Andrews was a good deterrent.

Libs ahead in key Victorian seats

According to data released by Finity Consulting the seat of Dunkley will go to Liberal Chris Crewther, who is expected to win by 2, 200 early votes, up from his current lead of 438 votes ahead of Labor candidate Peta Murphy.

In Chisholm, Liberal candidate Julia Banks is ahead by just 66 votes which is expected to widen to 1400, snatching the win from Labor’s Stefanie Perri who is replacing outgoing retiring MP Anna Burke.

10. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

AEC is showing 362 votes ahead for Julia and 421 ahead for Chris.

Close seats:

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseCloseSeats-20499.htm

11. explod

explod explod

ABC 24 have Libs 3 to 4 seats ahead of your count from "tallyroom"

Interested in why the anomaly.

12. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Wondered myself

Election ABC.jpg

13. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

You seen the meme with the Antony Green putting an axe through the AEC door out of frustration with his prediction modelling?

14. explod

explod explod

Yep, felt something going on to do with bias. Thanks :xyxthumbs

Just up ABC 70 L/N 67 ALP 1 GRN

15. Logique

Logique Investor

The Libs can easily disprove Labor's so-called scare campaign on Medicare:

1. Repudiate their former intention to charge a $7 co payment
    2. Unwind their indexation freeze on doctor bulk billing contributions
    3. Unwind their part withdrawal of incentives to reduce bulk billing on pathology incl. radiology tests

We would soon see if they're fair dinkum about Medicare, or just clutching at election excuses. Hint: don't hold your breath!

You can listen to what they say, or watch what they do.

16. explod

explod explod

A "low life scum bag..." ffs you are speaking of a fellow countryman.

It is such attitudes of high folutin bias that is one of the prime problems within society.

17. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

No doubt you have forgotten the lies about $100 roasts due to the carbon tax, and the promises Abbott made before the 2013 election which he then reneged on.

So, they both do it. Privatisation of Medicare was an exaggeration by Labor, but the Libs would do it if they could, as Fraser did, and that's all Labor needed to mount the scare campaign.

18. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

As Turnbull said, Sir Rumpole, even though he denied he was going to privatise Medicare, over 70% of Labor voters (and even 25% of Coalition voters) believed it.
    This showed the damage from Abbott and other previous examples has resulted in that the public will believe the worst.
    Unfortunately the success of the lie means that we can expect further examples next election.

And I disagree with you Wayne about narrow self interest. The rise of Xenophon is an example of the opposite of this. The problem is narrow interest groups pushing sometimes doubtful agendas affecting the politicians, whether they be unions or Industry groups. Is it any wonder that the people decide to vote for someone else?

19. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

I've been watching politics from three different countries, the US, Canada and Australia for 30 years. I've not seen a scare campaign anything like what Labor had done just days before and election and the way they did it. Stretching a few facts is the normal in politics. Coming out and using a scare tactic they way they have is a new low. This tendancy seems a habit for Bill, as evidenced by the 'snap election' claim. Seriously, WTF is this nut job capable of?:eek:

20. noco

noco

I noticed the price on a whole fillet steak on my local super market had a price tag of $98...4.4 kg and we don't have a carbon tax anymore.