• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Australian Federal Election - 2016

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybank, Apr 18, 2016.

1. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

You want to manufacture and export? I don't think Australia would be competitive unless it is high tech or highly automated.:2twocents When you pay a chap 100+k a year to swing a lollipop...lol

2. sptrawler

sptrawler

My point exactly.:xyxthumbs

It will be interesting, to see who pays the bill, when we are all on welfare.lol

3. noco

noco

Didn't you know that is a dangerous job and that is the reason they get paid big money.....That also includes bored money......standing in the Sun all day,,,,,,have a smoke when you need one.....Gawd it must be a long day for those poor buggers........No wonder the country is going broke.

4. sptrawler

sptrawler

IMO Parliament is full of people, who just want to keep their heads down and score the highest pension their incompetence allows, sad really. Hopefully Pauline tells it as it is and she isn't gagged.

5. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

C'mon, why is Pauline in Parliament ? For the perks of course like everyone else. She doesn't want to actually work for a living.

6. drsmith

drsmith

Sportsbet odds this morning,

Sworn in government: Coalition/Labor $1.17/$4.50.

Hung parliament Y/N: $1.35/$3.00.

Coalition majority/minority: $3.00/$2.25.
    Labor majority/minority: S16.00/$5.00.

Another election in 2016: $6.00.

7. basilio

basilio

John Hewson has weighed into the hung Parliament discussion with his thoughts on how Liberal and Labour need to unite to create a positive outcome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/jo...lp-must-form-a-coalition-of-a-different-kind/

John is clearly getting his research from ASF and my earlier posts !!;)

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

9. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Well done basilio :xyxthumbs

10. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

11. dutchie

dutchie

Billiar still at it.

Claims Turnbull is going to go for another election. When pressed for proof of this, Billiar has nothing.

What a grub.

12. drsmith

drsmith

With that and the comment about suggesting Malcolm work with him to make the 45th parliament work, I get the impression he's given up (or not interested ?) on forming government in the immediate aftermath this election.

If that's the case, he'd be the one who wants another election and perhaps explains why he's egging it.

EDIT:
    Listening to the start of Bill Shorten's presser (now posted on the ABC), it's clear he's not expecting Labor to form government.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-05/election-live-blog-july-5-counting-resumes/7568594

13. CanOz

I think he's just a media WH***....power trip.

THE VOTE IS OVER BILL, YOU CAN'T INFLUENCE THE UNCOUNTED VOTES NOW!

14. CanOz

Wow, still close as...

Attached Files:

15. McLovin

McLovin

There is no intention to privatise Medicare. The Libs don't have a base that would accept that. I know plenty of dyed in the wool rich (I'm talking >$25m in assets) conservatives who find the idea of Labor running the country totally anachronistic to good government and not one of them has ever even considered that Medicare should be scaled back in any wholesale way. So where exactly would the Libs find support for this policy?

It was the ALP in 1990 that introduced the pensioner co-payment ($2.50), and the sky didn't fall in. In fact it saved the system a lot of money. It's a shame the co-payment for doctors visits was so poorly sold.

Sign of the times really. Everything is binary. You either support <insert policy> or you don't. Most people vote because they dislike something, rather than in support of something. That's why negative campaigning works.

16. banco

banco

17. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I think there's a similarity with the Australian election result, Brexit, Trump and so on.

People are fine with the idea of growth and jobs indeed that's one of the things they want. The masses can however clearly see the cracks, or should I say gaping holes, in the economic paradigm pursued over the past 40 or so years.

Some are getting rich but the middle class is slowly but surely being wiped out. We're becoming a society of haves and have not's far more than was once the case.

Neither of the major parties seems to have the answer. One is aligned with unions and a model that won't work in a globalised economy. The other is simply acting for a portion of the haves (certainly not all of them). Neither has a solution and that naturally focuses attention on anyone presenting an alternative view.

Keep going down this track and the odds of either Labor or the Coalition gaining a majority at future elections seems increasingly slim to me. Neither has the answers. :2twocents

18. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

If we are incapable of a value add industry or commodity sales, we should probably just move to mercantile and the service industry that attaches to it.

19. sptrawler

sptrawler

Pray tell us what commerce facility we can exploit, that isn't covered by Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, in the Asia Pacific?

With regard service industries, who is going to make money in W.A, S.A or the N.T? Huge land masses with minimal population.

20. trainspotter

trainspotter

AEC.JPG

It would appear we have a juxtaposition of extraordinary proportions on our hands. :eek:

Chisolm and Hindmarsh to fall to Labor, Forde too close to call 50/50 and Gilmore and Dunkley to remain Liberal so therefore we have a HUNG parliament and Pauline pants down has 4 ears for listening and 2 mouths to feed.