• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Australian Cricket team

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirRumpole, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

2. sptrawler

sptrawler

Tends to show how much guts, the guys in the old days had, pre helmets.
    Being hit by a fast bowler is always going to be problamatic, the helmet can't protect against everything and still remain functional.

3. overhang

overhang

It boggles my mind how they could play back in the day without a helmet and face bowlers like Johnson.

Horrible incident though, know one walks on the cricket pitch and thinks their life is at risk from the sport and I really feel sorry for his x teammate who bowled the ball.

4. sptrawler

sptrawler

Actually I think they do, when you face express bowlers (150 - 160klm/hr). The first time you are hit on the body or legs, you know it could kill you, with a direct hit to the heart or head.

Moto GP riders, AFL, Rugby, high speed skiing all high risk sports can end in a competitors death, they know it just don't expect it.

5. overhang

overhang

I don't think any cricketer (in the modern era) has ever had a concern they might die, they wear chest guards btw, obviously helmets and I don't believe a professional cricket has ever died from being hit.
    Motor GP, F1 etc know that there is always a chance it may be their last ride/drive, watch the Senna movie for an insight into that.

6. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

If he was wearing a skullcap type helmet where the back of the head is exposed, he may have been hit there.

I suppose they cut that bit away for lightness and comfort, but the deficiencies of that design were made very obvious today.

7. sptrawler

sptrawler

Google cricketers who have been killed by being struck by a ball. I think you will get a shock.

Last year a South African, first class cricketer died from a blow to the head.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/683131.html

I have been hit in the body and legs by an express bowler, trust me even wearing pads and body armour, it still hurts. It is actually scary.

8. overhang

overhang

I hadn't heard that story, comes as quite a surprise.

I've done my fair share of batting, never really been hurt getting hit in the pads though against fast bowlers and ive been given out LBW plenty of times :D

9. sptrawler

sptrawler

Well my experience was at a social charity game, where you could not be given out LBW.

The opposition had a W.A fast bowler from A grade, well to cut a long story short, I took quite a few for the team.

Then thought sod this, I'm going back to the clubroom.:D

10. Macquack

Macquack

Isn't the function of the helmet, to protect the head?

It appears to me that the ball may get trapped under the helmet in the area behind the ears. This may result in the head taking the full force of the ball, part of that force may have been otherwise deflected off the head if a helmet was not worn.

Those helmets look too undercut at the back.

11. sptrawler

sptrawler

Probably designed like that, to stop the rear of the helmet jamming into the small of the neck, if the head jerks back.

12. overhang

overhang

Yes he seemed to be hit in the neck just below the helmet, he then stood for a few seconds before collapsing on the pitch, I would not be surprised if it's the fall that has caused the head trauma as cricket helmets aren't really designed for that sort of impact like a bike helmet is.

13. chiff

chiff

You wonder whether the helmets give players a false sense of security?Players that would not hook, now do.Nothing wrong with that ,but that is how the game has evolved.
    I remember that players like Ian Chappell and Keith Stackpole were good hookers and used the shot from the first ball that they faced.Others either ducked or evaded the short ball if they could.A lot of players only dared to hook when they had been in for a long time and were seeing the ball like a watermelon.Those were the days of no helmet.
    Having said that Hughes was set,but I do not know whether he was a good player of the hook?

14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

It's being reported that Phillip Hughes has died in hospital.

A tragic end to a career that looked like it was starting a comeback.

RIP Phil.

15. chiff

chiff

O dear...sad news!

16. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

A really freak accident; our hearts go out to his friends and family.
    ... and then spare a thought for the bowler. Although nobody can blame him, he will carry the load for the rest of his life.

17. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

+1. I'm so sorry to hear this sad outcome.

18. dutchie

dutchie

A sad occasion all round.

RIP Phillip Hughes

19. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

+1.

Such a sad and unfortunate outcome.

20. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

I am so used to hearing about miracle recoveries I felt sure he'd survive. The family must be devastated.