Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australia wants migrant workers

Reaction score

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16273380-2,00.html

AUSTRALIA will launch the biggest global recruitment drive for skilled migrants since the "ten pound pom" campaign in the 1950s and 60s, as the Howard Government tries to attract 20,000 workers from across Europe and Asia to rescue key industries from labour shortages....

=============================================

My initial reaction to this is - "Oh no we *%$#ing don't" (for a number of reasons)

But I must admit that I am not having to find skilled folk to work for me....and being a migrant myself, I feel a tad hypocritical.

But honestly...why can't we/haven't we trained our own folk?

What do you all think?

Reaction score
Ummh. I'm from England so maybe my opinion isn't valid on this thread. my belief however is if a person can prove that they are going to be of value to the Australian society (ie:not live off the state), have skills that can be used to enhance those that are already here and adhere to Australian norms and beliefs I can not see a problem.

Australia is a large country with a small population. Compare that to China. In order to keep up and compete, the Australian population must grow (albeit in a controlled and sustanable manner)

mit

Reaction score
Unfortunately in the name of economic rationalism, the federal and state governments have allowed training to lapse or be priced out of the reach of most Australians. It's annoying that they trot out the statistics about increases in training and employment, where the training is more lowgrade (McDonalds) and the employment part-time.

The skill shortage is real. I find it hard to find reasonable IT people and more than half that I hire were trained overseas. I live in a regional area on the coast and know that good tradesmen (tradespeople?) are kept very busy and make a very good living. I always thought I should have learnt a trade because you can basically move anywhere and make a reasonable living.

MIT

DTM

Reaction score
wayneL said:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16273380-2,00.html

But I must admit that I am not having to find skilled folk to work for me....and being a migrant myself, I feel a tad hypocritical.

But honestly...why can't we/haven't we trained our own folk?

What do you all think?

You have record numbers participating in the stockmarkets (US included) and maybe they're busy worrying about their positions. ;)

Reaction score
Now how clever, in Germany there are at present 5 million people unemployed and most of them are qualified...now there is a pool of people Australia needs..why not try and bring them over as we came in 1954 and it will help Australia out of a hole...the KIWIS are also short of qualified people...and the Germans are very adaptable......and look no different than most Australians

Reaction score
Profitseeker said:
to enhance those that are already here and adhere to Australian norms and beliefs I can not see a problem.

Probably room for another thread, but after seeing what filters through the media we already have a group of people born in Australia who do not approve our way of life and want a separate state.

Scary stuff, and more diverse the community, more possible future hair rising developments.

No other country successfully created harmonious multicultural society, so we could be first, but is it going to happen?

DTM

Reaction score
chicken said:
...and the Germans are very adaptable......and look no different than most Australians

They also drink lots and lots of beer. What a perfect fit.

Off course they would have to learn to smile but that won't be so hard... :D

Reaction score
DTM said:
They also drink lots and lots of beer. What a perfect fit.

Off course they would have to learn to smile but that won't be so hard... :D
Oh your gonna pay them bonuses to make THEM smile. :D

Porper

Ralph Nelson Elliott
Reaction score
chicken said:
Now how clever, in Germany there are at present 5 million people unemployed and most of them are qualiefied...now there is a pool of people Australia needs..why not try and bring them over as we came in 1954 and it will help Australia out of a hole...the KIWIS are also short of qualified people...and the Germans are very adaptable......and look no different than most Australians

There is a worldwide shortage of skilled people, especially in the trades.

One thing that seems to be over looked is how we entice these potential people over here.I worked in England until a couple of years ago and the wages over there, and I suppose throughout Europe are considerably higher than Australia and N.Zealand.I think it is far more likely to attract people from poorer countries such as India.

Let's face it what is the prime concern when applying for a new job, my guess are the wages, the rest follows.

Now for my little moan.I think a lot of youngsters today feel that the country owes them a living, a lot just don't want to work, and we have created this problem ourselves by giving our kids everything they want without having to work for it, computers, playstations, cars , the list is never ending. :mad:

kph

Reaction score
Profitseeker said:
my belief however is if a person can prove that they are going to be of value to the Australian society (ie:not live off the state), have skills that can be used to enhance those that are already here and adhere to Australian norms and beliefs I can not see a problem.

Australia is a large country with a small population. Compare that to China. In order to keep up and compete, the Australian population must grow (albeit in a controlled and sustanable manner)

How about expanding on this idea of allowing skilled and willing workers to come into the country but adding that we should 'export' those unwilling to work or gain a skill ?

The pevailing culture of this country where ppl feel they are 'owed' a living and its the responsibility of the govt to provide that support has led to a country that will always be uncompetitive on the global stage.

Both from a point of view of restrictive labour hiring laws, as well as a punitive taxation system which penalises enterprise in favour of raising revenue to prop up the social security burden.

Setting unrealistic minimum wages for unskilled jobs also does not help.
There would be many business and enterprises that would be viable if affordable labour was available ( which it is...but from overseas!)

So we might as well just enjoy our life on the beach in seclusion and isolation, while we mainatin our 'fortress Australia' policy and attitude, and let the rest of the world get on with it..

kp