• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

ASF in the Media

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RichKid, Jan 24, 2008.

1. RichKid

RichKid PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan

I thought I'd start collecting articles referring to ASF (preferably positive! but constructive observations are great) in the media (not other forums).

Here's one I saw in another thread on ASF:

2. CFD

CFD

Looks like we talk a little more sense than HotCopper.

3. insider

insider

Yes Hotcopper is a bloody online Boiler Room in my opinion...

4. RichKid

RichKid PlanYourTrade > TradeYourPlan

Please try to keep this thread focused on articles on ASF- this thread should mainly be a depository for media articles. Discussion about ASF in general should be taken to other threads, there would be existing threads for some of the issues raised in the last few posts.

5. noirua

noirua

6. noirua

noirua

7. noirua

noirua

8. noirua

noirua

9. noirua

noirua

10. Aussiejeff

Aussiejeff

My *MONSTER* vote has shot ASF up to 37% Woo-hoo!

:)

11. noirua

noirua

Holding up to 37% but must not be complacent. Need plenty of monsters, sorry, plenty of "MONSTER" votes from everyone. Next target 38%, could be difficult to achieve.
    http://www.thebull.com.au/the_stockies/forums.html

12. radar23

radar23

13. professor_frink

professor_frink Moderator

from the article:

Most of it wasn't even talking about internet forums. We were hardly being slammed here.

Actually I think it's great in a way. ASF has moved up in the world to the point where we are now mentioned as one of the "popular" ones.

No mention of some of the other sites that the media must now see as the less popular ones like topstocks and sharescene.:D

A couple of years ago we would have been struggling to get a mention along with those guys:)

14. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Well they have named ASF for possible reform when this forum is already strictly policed for ramping, rumour spreading and financial advice.

Obviously they (reporter :eek: ) haven`t visited this site.

15. MRC & Co

MRC & Co

LOL, love the retail sites even being mentioned in relation to rumours manipulating stock prices!!! ;)

First the hedge funds, now it's the retail traders. If only our accounts collectively were big enough to corner a market! ha ha ha.

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

I would also like to point out that ASF has always taken a very tough stance on the spreading of rumours.

I started this thread almost two years ago: https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5917 in response to the issue and pinned it to the top of the 'Announcements and Site News' forum.

The moderators and I do our best to ensure that the type of rumours referred to in the article are removed from the forums as quickly as possible.

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Administrator Staff Member

We've done a lot of growing in the last few years. :)

Attached Files:

18. chops_a_must

chops_a_must Printing My Own Money

Exactly.

And what gets me even more, is they are seriously going to crack down on rumour mongers? WTF???

How about they crack down on the cretins managing companies, who are proven to lie, so then rumours don't start!!!

The most obvious case being VRE:

http://measuringincalculablevaluingintangibl.blogspot.com/2008/02/view-resources.html

Yet, they did absolutely nothing despite it being as clear as day that they were bull****ting. :banghead:

What they are saying is that rumours will be cracked down on, but lying management aren't going to be.

On HC I was attacked, as some know here, for posting "rumours" that turned out to be outright fact on VRE, that should have been known by shareholders. So what are boards going to do? Get out the attack dogs when someone finds out something that should actually be known by the market? :rolleyes:

The other case that comes to mind for me, and some people might remember it here... about AED. I found out through a mate who works at an engineering firm, that did work for them that there were certain problems.

So I confronted management and asked the reasons behind the delay, and was told the "wind" was the reason for their delayed production. :rolleyes: And I asked why I shouldn't contact ASIC about their failure of continuous disclosure... and later the same day some half arsed announcement came out about it. :rolleyes:

It's this sort of **** that pisses me off.

What are they going to do? Charge people like myself for starting "rumours" that turn out to be utter fact, charge them with insider trading, when in actual fact it's criminal corporate governance at fault with non-disclosure?

Come on. Lets get real here. :rolleyes:

19. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

Unfortunately chops, from what I've seen of the way ASIC behaves of late, thats exactly what is likely to happen. Dodgy directors, brokers and banks etc. will all get left alone but private individuals will be gagged from any nay saying about any of them.