Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Armageddon is nigh!? Will it be YU55 or Apophis?

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
A 400m wide asteroid named 2005 YU55 will come close to earth about wednesday, within the moon orbit but NASA is confident it will not hit earth (this time), but hell, what if it hits the moon!?

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3356948.htm

BUT, aparently another named Apophis, about 270m across, will come close on April 13, 2029 and has a remote chance of hitting Earth when it comes around again on April 13, 2036.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/doomsday-determined-asteroid-apophis-strike-earth/

Apophis will make a fairly close approach to Earth in late 2012 and early 2013.

Well now, I wonder what the effect of two large meteriotes in short succession and their gravitational pull will have on the earths weather?

Reactions
A 400m wide asteroid named 2005 YU55 will come close to earth about wednesday, within the moon orbit but NASA is confident it will not hit earth (this time), but hell, what if it hits the moon!?
Based on the simulation I have seen, even though it is within the moon's orbit, it will not be between the moon and the earth. The position of the moon will be well away from that segment of it's orbit when it passes by.

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
I am going to make out with Liv Tyler just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskers

It's a small world
Reactions
Based on the simulation I have seen, even though it is within the moon's orbit, it will not be between the moon and the earth. The position of the moon will be well away from that segment of it's orbit when it passes by.

Thanks for that bellenuit. I work with the cycles of things, especially the moon quite a bit. I don't know what I'd do if it got knocked off. :eek:

But I'll remember to keep my head under cover when it passes anyway. ;)

What about 2036? That might just hit if the Russian calc's are closes than NASA's? I believe NASA is thinking along the lines of sending a rocket up to 'bump' it out of the way if it looks like hitting.

Actually doing a little research on the subject... 2029 looks a bit close for comfort!

I am going to make out with Liv Tyler just in case.
Lucky tou. ;)

http://www.universetoday.com/90691/asteroid-2005-yu55-an-experts-explanation/

asteroid-near-earth-object-2005YU55-111105c-02.jpg

Reactions
Well now, I wonder what the effect of two large meteriotes in short succession and their gravitational pull will have on the earths weather?
Considering it's just a few hundred meters wide, I imagine the gravitational pull will be unnoticeable. The moon's diameter for comparison is 3500km.

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reactions
The Catholics are stirring on the back of Malachy's visions. Another Pope or two and Jesus makes a visit to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The bad news is that not all the 2 billion christians get an automatic ticket to ride, because they cherry picked the new testament and won't recant their mistake.

It also seems that agonising vengeance will definitely be Jesus' calling card for the wicked and unbelievers.

moXJO

menace to society
Reactions
The Catholics are stirring on the back of Malachy's visions. Another Pope or two and Jesus makes a visit to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The bad news is that not all the 2 billion christians get an automatic ticket to ride, because they cherry picked the new testament and won't recant their mistake.

It also seems that agonising vengeance will definitely be Jesus' calling card for the wicked and unbelievers.
Hope you have been going to church on Sundays. Since when was Jesus about "agonizing vengeance" ?

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reactions
Hope you have been going to church on Sundays. Since when was Jesus about "agonizing vengeance" ?

Well I'm not a Catholic, so I can't comment on some things, but I do know the bible and if you did too you wouldn't be asking about Jesus and his ~"vegeance is mine" and the promise of second deaths in seas of fire and brimstone for the sinners.

Glad I didn't vote for SSM and only ever tell the truth, however unpalatable that is for others.:troll:

moXJO

menace to society
Reactions
Well I'm not a Catholic, so I can't comment on some things, but I do know the bible and if you did too you wouldn't be asking about Jesus and his ~"vegeance is mine" and the promise of second deaths in seas of fire and brimstone for the sinners.

Glad I didn't vote for SSM and only ever tell the truth, however unpalatable that is for others.:troll:
That was in reference to God coming in and kicking your ass.

Tisme

Apathetic at Best
Reactions
That was in reference to God coming in and kicking your ass.

Yes and you do know about commandment No 3? Guess I won't be seeing you up there with me and my mates.:D